Tacoma Mall iPhone 4 - Tacoma, WA

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by nwmac, Jun 18, 2010.

1. nwmac macrumors newbie

Missed the pre-order, so I'm getting up EARLY to jump in line. Won't be spending the night or anything like that, but I'll be there while it's still dark outside.

Who else will be there?

2. cfischer83 macrumors newbie

Camping out

I went there today to speak with the mall security (because I planned on camping out) and they told me that Tacoma has a law against camping out in "areas like this" (he couldn't tell me why). He said that if we want to get in line and stay all night that we have to stay in our cars in the parking lot until about 5 and then begin lining up after that. Seems stupid. Makes me wish I had registered my iPhone at South Center... although I'm not sure which one I'm more likely to get shot at: seems like neither's a good choice... ;)

3. nwmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess they're afraid we'll get mugged. I guess that's why they call it Tacompton.

4. jaredloman macrumors newbie

I'll be there

I'm with you nwmac...I was on vacation during pre-orders so I'm going to have to take my chances lining up. Should be a fun time though. Any idea where the line starts?

5. nwmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I spoke with the manager at the Apple Store a few days ago and he said the line will start outside by the Coldwater Creek store. That's on the south end of the mall.

6. jaredloman macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I suppose I'll see you there then. :)

7. jaredloman macrumors newbie

How'd it go?

Well...In route to the Apple Store, I decided to stop into Walmart and pick up some camping chairs. I spoke with the manager who said they were opening early for the new iphones. I decided to take a big risk and stay at walmart instead of making the trek to the Tacoma Mall. I was the first person in line, and they ended up only having one single iphone, so I really lucked out!

How did things go in Tacoma? Did you get your phone? What time did you show up? How were the lines? Looking forward to hearing how it went!

-Jared

8. nwmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Excruciatingly SLOW!

Wow, you really lucked out. Well, I got in line at 4am this morning. I was the 87th person in line outside, and they opened the mall doors around 6am so we could continue the line by the Apple Store.

It's now 11:40am and I'm STILL in line, and about 30 from the front. Line hasn't moved in over an hour. The pre-order line is moving much faster, but it's still slow as well.

Frustrating for sure. They need to have a better system for moving people along.

9. ahartung macrumors newbie

Wow, I'll be curious to see when and if they sell out. I was the first one in the store today. I showed up last night to camp out with some friends that hadnt preordered and I end up being the first in the preorder line this AM so I was outta there by 7:15. Sorry to hear its taking so long!

10. cfischer83 macrumors newbie

hmm...

Hey, ahartung, I think I saw you there. You were first in line, right? I was second ;)

Yeah, nwmac, let us know when you got out of there and if they still had phones left.

They messed up my phone by giving me a 16GB instead of a 32GB and I caught it right before paying. It took forever for them to undo it in their systems, but they did. I was able to get out by 7:30 even though I was right behind ahartung.

11. nwmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I finally got my 16gb iPhone at 2:15pm. Over 10 hours in line. The phone is awesome, but next year I'll make sure I get the preorder in so I can have it delivered.

12. nwmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll be waiting in line AGAIN this year!

So, I vowed to pre-order the 4s this year, after waiting in line for nearly 11 hours last year. Everything went well, up until the time I was going to finalize my pre-order, and unbeknownst to me I had a PO Box listed as my shipping address, so Apple.com said that I had to complete my order at a retail store. Try as I might during the following day, for whatever reason, neither Apple or AT&T customer service could change it.

So....I'll be waiting in line again! grrrr

Oh well, at least I have my iPad this year to keep me company.

13. nwmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Update as of 5:50am 10/14/11

Well, I got hear about an hour ago. Line is MUCH shorter this year. I'm about 25-30 people from the front and there are about 10 people behind me only. Apple Store employees say they've streamlined the ordering process and will be handing out cards in line showing the model of phone you plan to purchase. I'm happy that I should be in and out much sooner this year.

14. cfischer83 macrumors newbie

Hope you got it quickly then. I was lucky enough to get it in the mail this morning!