Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OllyW

Original poster
Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Tag Heuer smartwatch: Swiss watch firm teases first images of their $1,400 luxury smartwatch

tagsmartwtch.jpg

Battery life to last 40 hours on a single charge and owners will be able to upgrade their watch so it doesn't become obsolete.

Looks interesting.

Reactions: AustinIllini

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
1,400 - While clearly out of my pay grade, I am curious what this will have.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
I don't know what Tag can bring to the table, but this is the first smartwatch I've been interested in hearing more about in years even though I don't use wearables and would most likely never pay $1400 for one.

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I will probably buy this if good.

I own two tags but my APs get most wrist time.

Tags are considered the low end of luxury wathches. Im hoping this is the first decent luxury smartwatch.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I love Tag Heuer. The "upgradeable" piece is the missing link for me. While I still won't buy it (too $$$$), this is more in line with what I think the smart watch should be.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Android wear and to be honest, doesn't look terribly different then other smart watches. I don't know what I was expecting but I'm not sure what the difference this is. I'm still listening/watching the video however

OllyW

Original poster
Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Looks good and I like titanium watches but too big for me at 46mm.

956564215e776382a0e4a4fe84764f76

It hasn't met all the promised specs though, the 40 hour battery life is now down to 25 hours. The upgrade will cost $1500 extra after two years and you get a mechanical Carrera watch in exchange.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Android wear and to be honest, doesn't look terribly different then other smart watches. I don't know what I was expecting but I'm not sure what the difference this is. I'm still listening/watching the video however
Looks like every other round Android Wear watch to me. I'm not fond of the timing bezel because it looks out of place when the screen isn't displaying a faux analog watch face. I'd like to see a photo of the real thing, not a computer graphic because so far all the round Android Wear watches have looked much better in press photos than in real life.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
That launch presentation was uncomfortable to watch. That aside, that is a damn nice looking watch. I like that the screen is always on. For some reason I found it annoying when my Apple Watch screen would turn on when not intended and I wished it would just remain on all the time with a nice analog watch face displayed.

Reactions: BadMelonFarmer

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like every other round Android Wear watch to me
That was my thought. First off Kudos to Tag Heuer for not resting on their laurals as the world around them evolves, yet I'm not sure about this.

Of course, I don't have 1,500 to spend on a watch, so I'm not the targeted audience but I've always loved the look of their watches.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Will a hands on video do?

Just confirms what I thought. These things look nice when they're faking a mechanical watch. Notice the only thing this video showed off was Tag watch faces. I guess then I'd just go buy a Tag watch and a cheaper fitness band for when I'm working out.

That was my thought. First off Kudos to Tag Heuer for not resting on their laurals as the world around them evolves, yet I'm not sure about this.

Of course, I don't have 1,500 to spend on a watch, so I'm not the targeted audience but I've always loved the look of their watches.

I suppose they figure they don't have a choice but I'm not convinced smart watches will replace luxury mechanical watches. I don't think people that wear nice mechanical watches are going to jump to smart watches, and I doubt those who currently aren't wearing a watch care if it looks like a mechanical watch or not.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's because mechanical watches are a lot nicer looking than digital watches. :D
I agree and that's why in a sense something seems missing with this watch. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I can't help but think there isn't a level of luxury build quality in a 1,500 dollar watch when its just a collection of circuits. I feel the same about Apple's premium apple watch edition. I think you get something substantial with a Tag Heuer mechanical watch that cannot be duplicated with a smart watch

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's how I feel about smartwatches in general. I know it's early days for them but I've yet to see one which jumps out and says "buy me".
I was firmly in that camp but I had stopped wearing a watch, and I had a need for notifications, as I found myself needing to be connected yet away from my phone.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This validates the Apple Watch Hermes, IMO. I wonder if we'll see other luxury watchmakers strike deals with either Google or Apple in the future.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I don't know, it looks nice and really fast but then you get those plain Jane white faces with Android Wear screens and it just looks meh...

Apple's OS looks a lot sleeker and sexier IMO, but it's an interesting design and at last a proper waterproof smartwatch! I believe this Tag has an IP67 rating. Also great to see a magnetic charger and it runs a special Intel Atom chip inside, you can tell it's very smooth and fast. It has 4GB too, I think that's what they said.
Also one thing the Tag has are those glorious looking watch faces.
one of the official videos is this:

Personally I am hopeful Apple will still make a smart band of some sort, or make the Apple Watch a lot thinner so you can get away with wearing it on one wrist and a classic watch on the other.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This validates the Apple Watch Hermes, IMO. I wonder if we'll see other luxury watchmakers strike deals with either Google or Apple in the future.
This whole try it for 2 years and then for $1500 more you can trade it in for a real Tag seems odd to me. Why would Intel sign up for something like that? And the watch in real life doesn't look that nice to me. Certainly not once it's displaying anything other than one of the Tag watch faces.

9598da1c_tag-heuer-connected-watch-hands-on-0590.0.jpeg

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

1) Why would Intel sign up for something like that?

2) And the watch in real life doesn't look that nice to me.

1) There are many things you don't understand, more than just this, this is just one of them.

2) I doesn't surprise me one bit that you dislike it the only taste you have is in your mouth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.