Take a Lesson from Recent Past

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by HEK, Jan 9, 2017.

1. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Here is some interesting history and a viable plan moving forward.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I doubt many people will watch this 20-minute video. A summary would be good.

3. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

4. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

A grass roots plan springing forth to make our representatives actually represent us that has recently worked before. Well worth 20 minutes of your time.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2017 ---
    Rather, a viable plan to set things right. A look forward rather than lamenting what has occurred.

5. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

LOL. I noticed it was 20 minutes so stopped it. Then I noticed it was from MSNBC, so without even knowing what is says, I am assuming it is not all that accurate.
    Not sure about the hope thing, but we sure received the "change" :(.

6. Huntn, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The point of the segment is that local action, such as contacting and talking to your representative locally i.e. holding them accountable has a big impact and it's happening around the country and may be a primary defense to stop the extremes of the GOP Congress.
    • One of the first GOP sponsored attempts is to gut the independent Congressional Ethics Office.
    • Protestors visit him and turn it around. A blizzard of angery constituent calls put a nail in it.
    • Bernie Sanders is emphasizing local organization as an important tactic for the future.
    I find it simply astounded that killing ethics oversight would be top priority for the GOP, then I pause for a moment and it makes perfect sense. :oops:

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well your choosing to judge without knowledge hmm where have we seen that before???

8. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

"Judge without knowledge" you say. Not really. I listen to MSNBC every now and then, and I have the knowledge that it is a poor news organization. Therefore, I know I should not waste time watching a video the length of a sitcom. If it was 5 minutes...sure, even MSNBC would get a watch. But if I am going to invest my time into something then I want to make sure I is something that is more valuable to me than an MSNBC video.

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Didn't watch the Wesley Crusher video, is this the plan where the left uses the "racist" tactics of the TEA party?

10. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

To them if you breath and are a conservative you are racist. It is a card played way to often to the point where when real racism comes up it is not taken as seriously as it should be.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Bad assumption. The segment is spot on and accurate. I think you feel the same way about MSNBC as I feel about Fox. I don't believe you'd ever see this quality of commentary coming out of Fox, but that's my assumption. Last time I watched Fox News not only did they report, but they projected to their audience what they should think about it. Aside from political opinion shows, they are virtually the only "news" organization I know of that does this.

12. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

20 in Black Caucus Ask for Curbs on Ethics Office
    Lawmakers seek to gut ethics office

13. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Maybe it is...even a broken clock is right twice a day :).

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

What grass-roots effort was that?

Best way to make our representatives actually represent us is to end gerrymandering and design Congressional districts using a least-sides polygon method (also called split-line) or another fair apportionment method.

16. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

It's a key Trump theme.
    Thank you for confirming your opinion means absolutely nothing regarding the video.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Well that's open minded. :rolleyes:
    No it's not. It's a really good organization and getting better everyday with a mix of both liberals and conservatives.

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I made it to 2:08. I can't take any more Madcow than that.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Why the namecalling? Why can't you just say you don't like her or didn't like a point she made? I for instance don't come up with insulting names for broadcasters on Fox like Bill O'reilly or Sean Hannity even though I don't like them.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

So you'd rather be surprised if there's an anti-Trump movement akin to the Tea Party movement springing up before Feburary and becoming a big deal by April with constituents showing up at town hall meetings holding Congressmen to account. Good for you. Surprises can be fun.

Not sure the Dems found it fun back in 2009 but maybe the Republicans will enjoy it when Dems play the flip side now.

Well anyway it will be some indication of whether progressives will turn out for grassroots opposition to Trump's plans now that his cabinet looks anything but populist.

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes, wait until summer when congressional representatives go home for those nice town hall meetings!

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It auto corrected or I hit the C instead of D while driving. Relax.

23. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

Hardly, it's plan where you hold your representatives accountable and let them know it. Think it's called representative democracy.