Take a look at this ridiculously large laptop that my company just got!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by corbin_a2, Oct 28, 2009.

1. corbin_a2 macrumors regular

So I work for a video production company that is 100% (except for me) anti Macintosh. Yes I know it sounds nuts. Anyhow, they just got this new custom Laptop in for Adobe Premiere on the road editing. I just can’t get over the size of this beast!

1920X1200 17" display. Intel i7 @ 3.06GHz 12GB ram. 1TB HD 18 lbs. without the 4 lbs. charger! Vista 64bit

Attached Files:

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

That thing is obscene. You would have to be on the road 24/7 to justify such a monstrosity. Even then I would have opted for a BOXX tower and an APC over that beast.

5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

It's only a 10-inch laptop - thats' why the power charger looks large.

Since the OP didn't give any information whatsoever about the actual size, that is the assumption I will stick to.

6. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

It looks like you'll need a PA just to carry it:D

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

8. motoMBP macrumors newbie

i wouldnt say 10" because the keyboard has a full numpad too. i would say a 17" to be safe. also being anti mac and being a video editing and production is by far the craziest thing ive ever heard. my friend uses an awesome mac pro with simple things for a college assignment. crazy people, maybe they might use ubuntu or something just to help with good video production.....

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Big fail on on the trackpad. I thought they were putting larger trackpads on most new pcs. Wow, that is about as big as my dads Dell XPS pentium4 3.something Ghz laptop. He paid only like 100 for it, but he leaves it in his work truck since it wouldnt make sense to use a good one. All the extra weight make the truck ride better too:D

10. corbin_a2 thread starter macrumors regular

1920X1200 17" display. Intel i7 @ 3.06GHz 12GB ram. 1TB HD 18 lbs. without the 4 lbs. charger! Vista 64bit

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I imagine the battery life is phenomenal, if it's 18 pounds right?

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

A whole hour, if you're lucky.

13. corbin_a2 thread starter macrumors regular

Believe me, when I stated working here I could not believe that just about everyone was so anti-mac. I think that it all comes down to a bad experience the owner had with mac OS 8.5.

I work a lot with Photoshop designing final artwork for DVD inserts. It kills me that I have to use Windows, but in this economy, I go where there is work.

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Wow, that borders on useless when actually mobile. It gets an hour on battery, max right? Most of the people on this forum wouldnt even be able to carry that thing. Since there are so many people that have a 13 and complain that they dont want to "lug" a 15" MBP around. That thing does look like a gamers wet dream though.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I had a 17lb 17" ACER. It was a "gaming" laptop. After the first bag I had for it ripped due to the weight I bought a larger bag. It was then that I realized I was having shoulder issues due to carrying it around.

There is no "on the road" anything with such laptops.

16. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

This reminds me of my last laptop! The good ole HP ZD8000. 17" 10 lb beast. One of the few computers with enough balls to use an P4 processor.

I'm not in this field so I've got to ask, what is the actual benefit from something like this? Is it really worth the hassle to take this to mobile edit?

17. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

i guess size and aesthetics are important to others. It looks like its up to the task and can output in HD media, to me that works. Depends on the cost, but right now Apple doesn't have that ability (HDMI and Blu Ray). It might stink to have to lug it around, but the OP put nothing in their about their business work flow. From my understanding, there is software out there that works just fine on Microsoft OS, so i don't see why that should be an issue.

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It might look monstrous but I'm sure your company will not mind if it does the job well. Going by the specs you have quoted it would give a low end MacPro a run for it's money.

At the end of the day it's all about getting the job done and earning your company lots of money. Apple don't make a portable with anything like that kind of horsepower, what do you suggest they should get instead?

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

20. HomeBru Studios macrumors member

HomeBru Studios

It makes the Osborne I look almost small

So, I guess the moral of the story is 'what PCs lack in ability and computing power, they make up for in size'!?!?

21. corbin_a2 thread starter macrumors regular

Our company choice of computer OS is set in stone. We are a Windows shop. So my suggestion would be a moot point. I just think that the size and weight is humorous.

On a side note, I am not a video editor. I work in the other side of the building doing graphic design with Photoshop (with windows as well :mad:).

22. chrisrottan macrumors member

no, you're going backwards in this case.
    What PC lacks in aesthetics, they make up in ability, computer power and portability.

23. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

24. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I do believe that is before you add the editing software of choice.

25. corbin_a2 thread starter macrumors regular

There goes my raise LOL :eek: