macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
My, there are a lot of question marks on those tables, aren't there? Never trust information from a website with a banner ad that says "You should be making $6000 a month working from home." This site is only reiterating the same speculation everyone else is. Some of the G5 data may not be far off, but everything beyond that is pure guesswork.

The dates especially look overly optimistic to me. A 2.4GHz G5+ in less than a year? A 4GHz G6 in less than two years? If the lifetime of the G4 is anything to go by, we'll be waiting twice that long. And wow, a G7 only a year after that.

Apparently by the end of the decade we'll be seeing a 300GHz .00013 micron G13, that is unless fortune smiles upon us and we are blessed with the G14 quantum CPU instead. With a gigabyte of on-chip L2 cache, and an optical interface to holographic memory, of course.

Alex

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by alex_ant
Apparently by the end of the decade we'll be seeing a 300GHz .00013 micron G13, that is unless fortune smiles upon us and we are blessed with the G14 quantum CPU instead. With a gigabyte of on-chip L2 cache, and an optical interface to holographic memory, of course.
But I want one now!!!

Comment

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by dukestreet
But I want one now!!!
It sounds nice, doesn't it? But keep in mind that by that time, OS X (actually OS XVII) will cancel out all its speed advantages. It will require 6TB of RAM, feature a real-time ray-traced and phong-lit 3D GUI, and will STILL not have any web browsers available for it that can scroll web pages smoothly. (Except iCab version 13.4.)

Hopefully OS XVII.2 will fix everything.

Alex

Comment

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by alex_ant
an optical interface to holographic memory, of course.

Alex
What's happening in the development of holomemory, anyway? i read something a couple of years back on how much they've done, but no new developments since? i mean i'm not exactly a researcher but the premise was cool, and looked promising...

pnw

Comment

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Yes, the principle of holographic memory is sound, and there have been successful tests of it on a small scale, but I am under the impression that it's still only slowly gestating in the laboratory, along with the quantum computer, the asynchronously-clocked processor, and the cure for cancer and AIDS and the common cold. We'll probably have all of those someday, but the question is of course when. :)

Alex

Comment

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm looking forward too...

Originally posted by paulwhannel

What's happening in the development of holomemory, anyway? i read something a couple of years back on how much they've done, but no new developments since? i mean i'm not exactly a researcher but the premise was cool, and looked promising...

pnw
...the novolitale carbon nanotube ram from Nantero. According to "Technology Review" (basically Discover from a different publisher) they're hoping to have it out in 2-3 years.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.