Take care of your eyes - Warning photo of damage

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chappers, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I very recently damaged my left eye - I bent down to pick up one of my sons toys in the garden and as I stood up a branch from a tree stabbed me in the eye and gouged out a chunk of cornea. As a keen photographer and computer user - this has damaged two of my interests. Most importantly it has stopped me playing rough and tumble games with my son and that is tough for us both.

This is as much as I can write for now as looking at the screen for too long is bad for me. Take care of your eyes folks and don't bend down near bushes, trees etc.
    The damage was not only to the cornea but to nerves, blood vessels and muscles and will take around 6 months to fully heal.

Importantly - its did not hurt to much when it happened - felt like a scratch to be honest - but the next day, I was crippled in pain. I felt like Rosa Klebb had kicked me in the eye.

So if you have an accident - don't wait - see a doctor asap.

Attached Files:

• Eye.jpg
      Eye.jpg
      File size:
      150.8 KB
      Views:
  2. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

That sucks! Sorry to hear about the accident.

3. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Ouch! I have to admit that my glasses have saved me from a lot of damage from branches and other objects (yes I am a klutz).
    Will you have any permanent damage, or will it fill completely?

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ouch, I hope it heals quickly and without and permanent effects.

5. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

That pic is intense. Eye stuff really freaks me out. I hope you gain your full vision back soon!

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ouch. :(

I'm going to wear my glasses now. Perhaps you should wear a pair of sunnies next time.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Where most people are squeamish about teeth, I can't stand eyes. My eyes are fudged as it is and I'll likely need surgery to sort them out at some point. But I'll take extra care if you had an accident so easily... put the frighteners on me :eek:

My bedside cabinets edge is at my eye level when lying down (I sleep a bit off the pillow :p), I keep imagining that one night I'll turn over and BAM! Burst my eye on the edge.

8. Chappers thread starter macrumors 68020

Chappers

I should get my full vision back. Even wearing my glasses or sunnies (winter here at the moment) sadly would not have saved me as I sort of looked up and back as I stood up and the branch got my eye from behind.

This time I was unlucky but I'm going to be more care in future and get injuries checked just that bit quicker.

My TV and computer usage is limited to minutes each day over this week because of the damage - it all may split open again and put me back to square one.

I am allowed to sit with my eyes closed all day - which is nice :D

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Teeth? I think more people are terrified of going blind!!

10. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Ouch, sounds painful. :(

I wish you a most speedy recovery with as little pain and discomfort as possible.

On a related note, a friend of mine recently was diagnosed with a corneal ulcer due to bacteria on her contacts. If she hadn't caught it in time, and if the ulcer were in a different position, it would have permanently damaged her vision.

So, yes! Be very careful with your eyes folks!

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Stop, you're making my eyes water.

Ah, a plus. You may develop a whole new appreciation for the depth of some music.

Avoid Talk Radio. It will make your ears bleed.

12. Chappers thread starter macrumors 68020

Chappers

:D:D:D

13. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Ouch!!! I hope your eye is back to 100% after the six months.

omg my left eye is watering like crazy now. Sympathy pain?

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Ouch! :eek:

Definitely.

Eyesight is precious.

15. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Wow, that looks not delightful at all! On the plus side, your eyes are a really nice color!

16. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

My wishes to your recovery. Did you find out if there are any surgical options ?

17. MotleyPete macrumors regular

This is how you should have dealt with it:

Son: Dad, I trust that "scratch" hasn't made you useless.

Dad: Hardly, my son, it's just an eye. The gods saw fit to grace me with a spare.

[​IMG]

18. Chappers thread starter macrumors 68020

Chappers

you flatter me - the blue light of the doctor helps.

They don't want to operate unless it splits open again..........sneezing has joined the list of banned things to do.

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Friggin OUCH! :eek:

I'm surprised you aren't sporting a pirate patch, yarrrr!

Not long ago I accidentally grazed my husband's cornea with my finger. :eek: I felt his eye go slightly back into the socket and it creeped us both out. I think he got lucky because it seems to be OK now. This is the one time we're happy I'm a nail biter because my sad little nubs didn't do much damage. Still, I think rough play can end badly like this sometimes. Poor eyes!

I hope you heal up without problems.

20. Chappers thread starter macrumors 68020

Chappers

I was for a few days - boring white bandage type and sticky tape - helped keep bright light and any more trees out.

21. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Must... resist... :p

Seriously, I had a similar incident during my year of community service. A branch hit me so hard it wiped my glasses off my face and damaged my eye. Lucky enough, it was just a small scratch on the surface (erosion) which could be treated with some ointment, but for the next few days, my eye felt like I had a small stone or some sand in it. Quite irritating at least.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That's probably a no, because he would still be blinking, and irritate the eye/stitches.

Were you a bad boy, or was that in leu of military service??

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

As far as I know for a scratched cornea they use a tight patch so the person cannot blink. ;)

24. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

ooo looks nasty, am glad it'll heal [fingers crossed] in 6 months and thanks for sharing the pic...very dramatic and to the point[pun not intended] .

I was lucky a couple of times only for my glasses I'd have been poked.....

ouch, really graphic pic that. best luck and eats lots of spinach and carrots etc :)

25. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I had a similar thing happen to me.
    Me and my brother were fooling around (fighting) and he scratched me cornea with his finger nail.
    It was the worst pain I ever had in my life.. Not so much because it hurt(even though it really hurt) but because it was VERY annoying. I really thought no big deal, and just tried to carry on my day. That failed and I just lay in bed the whole day... By night I was soo annoyed I went to the emergency room, I got some drops that made my eye hurt more (except when the doctor put it in.. that worked..)
    Luckily I have no major damage. My eye is slightly (very little) blury, mainly when looking at computer screens (90% of my day):eek: