Take it From me Buy the Accidental Protection Warranty!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Future2001, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Future2001 macrumors member

A funny sad and happy story for me to share with the rest of you.

On the fourth of July, my girlfriend and I went to best buy and bought an open boxed Macbook pro 13 inch base model. (Best buy with their deceptive ad practices, claiming the 1199 price was the sale price which we all know it isn't)

They offered me the accidental protect plan but I declined, I wanted more time to think about it. I haven't dropped or destroyed any computers since I started using computers oh so long ago.

We left and the next day something nagged at me, I have accidental plans on most my other apple gadgets, my ipad 2, my ipod, and my old iphone 4 which I sold a few months ago. What's 150 bucks right?

So I bought it that day and didn't think anything of it until, as you guessed, I spilled a bowl of cereal on my macbook pro!! Two days after purchase and one day after purchase of the accidental warranty plan.

That's where the sadness comes in and yes you can laugh at me now. I could give you excuses, but I was dumb plain and simple.

Took it to best buy a few days later because of work and they all had a nice laugh and smile about it. Told me it would take three weeks to fix and sent me on my way sans Macbook pro.

That's the only caveat to Best Buy protection plans, they have to send the item out for repair first before anything can happen to it.

Needless to say today comes around and something again tells me to check the status of my repair and low and behold, my repair was awaiting my approval on something from the 14th!! No one called me to tell me this. Best buy again, smh. So I called and they said come in, the repair center determined it was too expensive to repair and that I should get a new computer.

Long story short, I received a brand new macbook pro 13 inch, a 100 dollar gift card for the student promotion (although I didn't get student pricing because supposedly the laptop was already on sale, didn't feel like arguing).

Get the accidental protection it's worth it. Square trade is better though but lucky for me I went best buy.

Thanks for taking your time to read.
    :eek:

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

how much was your accidental damage?
    Can you get it even though if you didnt buy it form best buy?

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Glad it worked out ;) On something as portable and expensive as a MBP, I completely agree on the accidental protection. I bought my MBP from Apple.com, and went with Squaretrade over Applecare simply because they offered accidental protection along with the same 3 yr warranty.

You can't get the Best Buy protection, but you can do Squaretrade within 90 days of purchase. Make sure to add the ADH ("accidental damage from handling") too as it's not checked by default. If you're going to go with them, there's usually 25-30% off coupons, which brought mine down to $262 after 25%. Also, the cost determines the price of the warranty. For example, the base warranty is $199 if you insure for $1999, and $250 if you insure for $2000. Play around with the insurance amount a bit to get the best price.

4. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I never buy those things. I am just careful with my laptop. Even beating the Blackbook up for three years in college didn't manage to kill it, so I'll keep my fingers crossed with my 15" MBP that now about about $3K into it.

5. Future2001 thread starter macrumors member

149 I think I don't have the receipt in front of me. It's only a year though while Squaretrade would have given me more years.

I'm glad it worked out, it was such a freak, dumb thing to do, but live and learn right?

6. jdmac macrumors newbie

Another thing to remember is that if you have renter's insurance or homeowner's insurance you can generally get a personal articles policy or rider that will cover personal property such as a laptop or phone. Usually there is no deductible on those policies and covering my last macbook was $36/year. This type of coverage isn't often advertised but just ask your agent and they're usually happy to sell you more coverage :D

7. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Careful as one can be, accidents do happen.