Take MBP in after 8600M gt symptoms or wait til its death?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Jan 16, 2009.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I've had the early 2008 2.4 model since march, since then it's exhibited sometimes washed out picture (for like a minute or so before reverting to normal colors -- happened a few times but not recently), it did the LED column backlight thing once after disconnecting the ac (but went away when plugging the ac adpater back in), I've had some text distortion with safari scrolling but it hasn't happened recently, and recently, twice i've had the machine now lock up (can still hear iTunes), but the screen won't come back on so I have to yank the battery and do a reset to get video back up on the screen. should I take it in or wait until its 100% dead? What do you think?

Do they have to reproduce problems too? Because it happens at the most random times after extended use.

2. crain300 macrumors member

i got a similar thread going as well
    do you know the model or part number
    mine is part number ma897ll/a
    model is a1229
    i was wondering if ours is similar
    and i hope& wish you best of luck you get yours fixed replaced

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Video tape it.

It's easier if the problems can be reproduced easily.

I would make an appointment at genius bar and bring it in when you have some time (say 1 week downtime). Chances are you need to wait for a logic board replacement which might take awhile (although they typically let you bring home the computer and call you when the part comes in).

Backup your data before bringing it in.

4. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I guess I could video tape it, but that seems slightly absurd. How much longer would you say I have with this 8600M GT?