Take the Quiz on the odds of winning the PowerBall.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 1458279, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1458279 Suspended

Ok, no cheating. Post your answer without looking it up.

Which of these two things has better odds of happening?

1. The PowerBall jackpot that's all over the news.

2. getting the returns Hillary Clinton's got on her cattle trades in 1978.

Post either 1 or 2... (no cheating, no googling)

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Fail thread, if you want to whine about Hillary, just make a Hillary rabble rabble rabble thread like everyone else.

3. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

yea, it doesn't make for a good thread starter, more trivia stuff. Saw too much lottery odds news. Ok. never mind. Someone delete this.

4. mudslag, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Now if you want to talk about the actual powerball, you could have a proper thread. At 1.3 billion with 175,223,510 combinations, someone who has the money, resources and time could make that jackpot worth working for.

5. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

I thought it was 292 million to 1.

There was a case where some guys waited until a jackpot went up high enough, then tried to buy every combo. IIRC, they had trouble with a number of machines. The amount of time for each ticket to be printed by a small number of machines.

I forget how it turned out.

The downside is what if several other people win as well.

6. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

There was a smaller lottery where the payout was around 27 million and the lottery had around 7 million combinations. A group got together and managed to get 5 million numbers before they ran out of time, they did manage to win it.

You can buy tickets online now, so it's possible that someone could come up with a program to pick each combination but I don't know if the system has a limit to stop big buy ins. If not then its possible for someone to theoretically buy every combination with enough funds. The down side is that if more then one winner is picked, it might not be worth it then.

7. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

Part of the problem is that if you buy 5 million tickets for $1 each, then you've added that (or a part of that) to the winning pot. This raises the pot, but you'd be winning some of your own money back. Also, if there's another winner, you might end up a big loss.

The formula isn't quite as simple as most think, and I'm pretty sure the government gets a good chunk of the winnings.

I'm actually surprised that nobody won the last round give how many were playing. It should go up massively this time.

I wonder if anyone actually calculated the odds of the person being broke in 10 years after winning :D

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Here are the chances of winning Powerball as a percentage if you played only 1 game for $2.

0.0000003%

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.