Taking iPhone 4s overseas

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheWildOne, Apr 22, 2012.

1. TheWildOne macrumors newbie

Hello. I am going overseas in the coming months and I was wondering if there is anything I should do to so I would be able to use it there. I have an iPhone 4s and I don't want to buy one of those international data packages. I have been told to just keep it in airplane mode the entire time I'm there but I would like to know if there is anything else I could do.

Thank you!

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Just turn off data. Turning on Airplane Mode means you won't even get any calls.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If you want to use voice/SMS/data features, you get to pay for international rates (assuming your phone isn't unlocked). I would recommend leaving it in airplane mode if you do not plan to be charged for these features.

4. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Contact your carrier to see if the countries you are going to have global data packages available. Rates are usually VERY high for roaming, so KNOW the rates and limitations before you go, otherwise your phone bill could be bigger than the price tag of a new Bimmer.

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

As was mentioned, if you don't want to pay for international roaming, keep it in airplane mode. Assuming you have iOS5.0+, you can still receive imessage via wi-fi so if there is wifi in that area your going to, you can just turn on wi-fi and send imessages. You can call via Skype if you have wi-fi connection for call if needed.

6. serega macrumors regular

So Wi-Fi working in airplane mode?

7. kalex macrumors 65816

yes u enable airplane mode and then turn on wifi

8. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

If you want to make calls and keep your number then just switch data off (though you'll pay for incoming and outgoing calls depending on your plan.)

If you want to make calls but don't mind a different number lots of carriers in different countries sell pre-paied sims you can buy and then dispose when you leave (in our age of terrorist fear, you'll likely need photo ID to get them and an address, though this can just be just a hotel.)

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yes, when you first turn on airplane mode, everything will be switched to off, such as wi-fi, bluetooth, gps, cellular data. But after airplane mode is on, you can then turn wi-fi back on and bluetooth back on even in airplane mode and still use it. This has been a feature since the first generation iphone.

10. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Data is by far more valuable than phone or text. Check to see if there are international data plans available for the countries you are visiting. The value of having a smartphone to get around and get info is HUGE. Either that, or get an unlocked one or use an iPad 3 and get a local SIM.

----------

If you have a different local smartphone, airplane mode plus wifi will be fine on your US iPhone.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Keep in mind that with GSM even calls that go to voicemail are billed at your international roaming rate. Refer to your carrier's site for details. If you want to avoid paying roaming charges you need to use airplane mode or shut the device down.

Subjective.

12. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Disable voicemail before going.

Voice can't carry data, but data can carry voice, text, and data. Plus, you'd have Email anyways.

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

That's super important!

Most people seem to think that when overseas and their cell phone rings, if they just don't answer it, they won't get any charges.

In reality, with most carriers, if you're overseas and your phone rings, and you let the call goto voice mail, YOU get billed international rates starting from the second the call goes to voicemail. Someone leaves you a 5 minute long voice mail? That's a big charge added to your bill. Someone hangs up right away when they hear your voicemail pick up? You still usually get billed for a 1 minute call, which isn't exactly cheap.

So like BiggAW said, if you're going to leave your phone on while traveling overseas, call your carrier first and disable voicemail!

14. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I'm already overseas and I've had my iPhone in airplane mode since I got here. However, if you own a Macbook, and you're able to get your hands on a pre-paid USB internet stick (most countries have these), then you can connect the internet stick to your Macbook, turn your wifi on, share your internet (with password of course) then you can turn on the wifi on your iPhone and share the internet from your Macbook to your phone. Kinda like reverse tethering. I've been doing it for about a month now and it works great!

15. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Why not just purchase a local sim card and remove the original sim until you get back home?

16. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Switch it to airplane mode, make sure data roaming is turned off, enable wifi to pick-up any hotspots when you're abroad. You'll be fine if you do this. Most importantly, enjoy your time abroad.

17. TheWildOne thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I turn off data roaming and I have verizon I don't use a sim card.

18. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Settings > General > Network > Data Roaming

It should be set to "OFF" by default.

Attached Files:

19. lehman310 macrumors member

I would start a new thread but it seems redundant. Does anyone know any cheap data only sims for Germany and the Netherlands (Mostly Germany though). Alls I need is a little bit of data to check maps, email and iMessage. I will be there for a month so the plans that cost 3 euro a day or charge per day are way to expensive.

20. BiggAW macrumors 68020

It should be noted that even with data roaming off, you will still get free data roaming in the US. That setting applies only to international.

21. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

If you have a verizon iPhone 4S they will unlock your sim card slot so u can use a local sim.If its a Verizon 4 it most likely wont work at all no CDMA support overseas,well very little support

22. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Depends on the area. Mexico, India, and other places have CDMA, Europe does not.

23. serega macrumors regular

Thank you, wackymacky and kalex

24. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Good point but you'll have to roam on them,costing you big bucks.I doubt they'll activate a verizon iPhone on their network only roaming which will cost you a kidney especially in India

25. BiggAW macrumors 68020

$25/100MB with the new Verizon global data roaming plan.