Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
So Im on my 3rd iPhone, I just had my second one replaced which had a 5 series screen and got a 7 series as my new replacement..boooooo.

I was just curious if anyone had done this successfully since when I asked the genius bar about it he looked at me like I was on crack. If you have done this please tell me the verbage you used because I can see myself having a hard time trying to convince him of the differences without having a 5 series right there next to it.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I can't help you on the lingo. But, my replacement comes today, if it is a 5, I would be willing to trade, lol. I hated to send mine in because I loved my 7 screen, but, I had some other issues so they had to replace it.

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
Seriously put this to bed people.

I've been reading all this nonsense about how much better the 5 was than the 7. I assumed I must have had the 5 because my screen is spectacular. I even get about a day and a half on a single charge with wifi on, 15min email checks to 4 accounts, and pretty regular use throughout the day.

Well today I finally looked it up out of curiousity. Turns out I have a 7. I guess I better go trade it in right? I mean, if I hold it at the perfect downward angle no more than 6 inches from my face with the screen on full brightness in a dark room, then I can faintly see dots. That just isn't going to cut it. I don't know how I could use a phone with a screen like that!

Come on people. If the screen looks fine, who cares if it is 5 or 7? So you have a 7.....WHOOOPTYDOO! If it looks fine, don't freak out. If it doesn't, take it Apple and get it replaced. Just don't make checking the screen series # the first thing you do when you get it out of the box.

I think we have another Seattle Windshield Pitting Epidemic on our hands.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I agree with what you are saying... I prefer the 7 screen because IMHO it has better contrast. Unfortunately, my phone had to go back due to other issues and the 5 series loaner does not seem as nice. But, the screen is still fantastic. I agree that it would be crazy to send it back if the screen is not the model you want. But, I do not see anything wrong with hoping to get the screen you want.

I am crossing my fingers for the 7 series, but, I will still be happy if I get a 5.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007

I've been reading all this nonsense about how much better the 5 was than the 7. I assumed I must have had the 5 because my screen is spectacular. I even get about a day and a half on a single charge with wifi on, 15min email checks to 4 accounts, and pretty regular use throughout the day.

Well today I finally looked it up out of curiousity. Turns out I have a 7. I guess I better go trade it in right? I mean, if I hold it at the perfect downward angle no more than 6 inches from my face with the screen on full brightness in a dark room, then I can faintly see dots. That just isn't going to cut it. I don't know how I could use a phone with a screen like that!

Come on people. If the screen looks fine, who cares if it is 5 or 7? So you have a 7.....WHOOOPTYDOO! If it looks fine, don't freak out. If it doesn't, take it Apple and get it replaced. Just don't make checking the screen series # the first thing you do when you get it out of the box.

+1

I have no idea what series I have all I know is the screen is spectacular and if i look really closely I CAN see some dotted pattern.

Big whoop.

This thing looks GREAT no matter the series.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

earnjam said:

amen to that

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

nospleen said:
I can't help you on the lingo. But, my replacement comes today, if it is a 5, I would be willing to trade, lol. I hated to send mine in because I loved my 7 screen, but, I had some other issues so they had to replace it.

nospleen, didn't you brush out the chrome? You gonna do it to your replacement too? I'm so tempted to do it to mine.

timotheezz

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
New Jersey

nospleen, didn't you brush out the chrome? You gonna do it to your replacement too? I'm so tempted to do it to mine.

I had an issue with my keyboard (bottom row wasn't working). So I went into the Apple store today, and the Genius helping me was awe-struck from the brush metal bezel haha. He was like "Wow, how'd you do that? Did it come like that?"

Anyways, so I got it replaced... I was annoyed at first that I'd have to brush the bezel again, but it's not that big of a deal.

What I'm more annoyed of is that I ended up with a 7 series. I know, I know.. you can only notice if you look for it.

HOWEVER! The real test came when I went to watch videos.
Example: "The Office" - when not zoomed in, and when viewed in original 16:9 ratio, the dots are definitely visible on the black bars.

Ugh! Well, I don't watch videos that much, so no biggie.

I just wanted to vent a little bit. Blahhhhh

On a brighter note, my keyboard works. I guess that's all that matters

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i

I agree completely, i see the dots too if i do the same things like you said. But im still 100% satisfied with the quality of my screen.

oksurya

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2007

Why shouldn't we be checking the screen series # out of the box? Am I missing something here?

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
I guess this might sound stupid

Why shouldn't we be checking the screen series # out of the box? Am I missing something here?

What are you talking about? Screen Series number? I didn't know there was a difference. My screen looks so good that it almost looks fake, its unbelievable. I haven't noticed any "dots," the only issue with it is my greasy fingers adding finger prints to the screen. It almost makes me not want to touch it to keep it beautiful. :D

Edit: Just read another thread that described this phenomena and so I "know" now. My LCD Panel ID is 7455232, so I guess I have the "dreaded" series 7. I find it to be a great screen, see no spots, with crisp images. The only possible issue I might have is with battery life and I am not sure about that. I have had it only for a few days, and have been watching a lot of video. Because its new, I have been playing with it a lot, so I will judge the battery life my my use in a few weeks, after the newness wares out.

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina

First thing you should do is inspect it completely. If it looks good, there is no problem. If the first thing you do is check the screen #, then you will probably start to imagine problems with it that you wouldn't notice otherwise.

I don't understand why you really need to check the screen number anyway. It's really quite simple: If it looks good, it looks good. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

carman63

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
OMG! I have a 6! A 6 I tell you!

OK, not really. I have no idea what mine is. Nor do I care. It works. I'm happy.

Gonzlobo

Suspended
May 9, 2007
Albuquerque

Yep, it kind of reminds me of a more recent 'event' called the Taos Hum. If enough folks talk about about an issue (5 v 7, mysterious hum), the more they talk them selves into having symptoms. Frankly, I think all the dope smoking Taos artists just got a batch of bad stuff.

I recall checking whether I had a 5 or 7, but I don't recall - or care - which one I have. My iphone looks great in the bright sunshine or a dark room.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Well I just checked mine and I have a 7 with no dots and no issues which everyone is speaking of...My brightness seemed affected by the update somewhat but now that Im used to it no problems...My brightness level is set to 75% and Auto...No brightness issues at all when watching videos and again no dots.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.