Taking my 3GS still under warranty to genius bar. It's jailbroken

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ataboc, May 17, 2010.

1. ataboc macrumors 6502

If they're just looking at the back of the case, can I just turn it off and not worry about restoring?

I'm running 3.12 and i haven't researched on jailbreaking 3.13.

2. ataboc thread starter macrumors 6502

that's what i was thinking.

3. ataboc thread starter macrumors 6502

The genius bar would not replace my 3gs with a cracked back plastic.

they said the problem was resolved after the 3g with a different polymer. I think the genius bar is full of ***t.

This is the first time i've had a problem with apple for any reason. Bunch of trendy hipsters in there too.

4. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Take it to another apple store if there is one near enough for you. I had different responses from different apple stores for my unable to boot macbook pro. The first one told me they would need to charge 100 dollars to run a program to find the problem and fix the problem. I passed. 2nd store said the problem was a graphics chip that Apple posted as an extended warranty for some macbook pros (which mine qualified). So I got everything fixed on my macbook pro free of charge due to that.

It appears some geniuses are more genius than others. Seriously, they should get rid of the title "genius".

5. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

No, some of them are just dumber than others. These days, they don't even know what Automator is and they have no understanding of Terminal. But hell, they can create a playlist fast! :eek:

Was your MBP the first unibody with the faulty graphics? I have one of these but I don't tend to switch for the 9600. That slot is just too rare not to have it...

6. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I wonder what qualifies to be an apple genius (or to even get hired) because sometimes I feel I know just as much as they doo when going into my local apple store. Sometimes I actualy help people (only twice) but maby I will get a job there lol. Sometimes I alternate the colors of the screens and watch them try to put it back mmmuuuuoooooohhhhhhaaaaahhhhhaaa!!!!:D

7. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

err i don't believe the nvidia chips that were faulty are in the first mac unibodies

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try another store or a different time at the same store and hope you get a better and more helpfull rep.
    Or you can also call AppleCare and have them ship
    you another one along with an empty box to send yours back.

9. Apped:Up! macrumors newbie

If you have cracking to the back plastic on a 3GS, you should be entitled to a replacement at the GB. I would go along with the other suggestions and try another time or store.

On a side note, don't worry about the jailbreaking, although Apple keep changing their stance on how it effects the warranty on your phone, there is no way that they could say cracking is related to a firmware hack, and therefore your actions on the phone could not invalidate the warranty.