Taking my iPad 2 in to the genius bar, but I have a question...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by briceman, Jan 26, 2012.

1. briceman macrumors member

My iPad 2 has some pretty noticeable light bleed on three of the edges. At first it didn't bother me too much (purchased late December) but now it is really troublesome! I scheduled an appointment to bring it in next Monday, but I am wondering how I can show them the bleed in a bright store? Also, should I bring the iPad with all the packaging, power cord, etc? Should I expect a replacement? Any heads-up would be helpful. Like I said I bought it late December, it was a 32GB Refurbished model from Apple directly. Also, if I were to get a replacement, could I test it right then and there? Thanks for ANY help!

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Most iPads will "bleed" if taken into a dark room with the brightness at the highest level. Why would this cause a problem as in normal viewing conditions, this "bleed" is not a problem.

I wish you good luck on finding one that is "perfect":rolleyes:

3. briceman thread starter macrumors member

It's noticeable even in a semi-dark room and seems to be worse than it was when I initially got the device. I was advised, on this forum, that since it's fairly new, I should bring it in.

4. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

from what I have heard, if they give a replacement, they will just swap out the old and new, no need for box, cord, etc.

maybe have it in the car if you want but no need to bring into the store. and they will let you see it at the store if you get a replacement.

5. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

My brother returned his because of backlight bleed.
    He watches videos in bed at night, lights off and iPad dimmed all the way. The bleed was at the bottom right corner. It was very noticeable and distracting when watching a video with the black bars on top and bottom. He asked the genius to let him demonstrate in conditions similar to how he used the iPad. They went into a restroom and turned the lights out, genius agreed with him about it being very distracting.

Bring iPad, box and all accessories with you just in case you need them.

6. briceman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the heads-up. Yeah, it's most noticeable on videos for sure. I'll download a clip to play on there to demonstrate. I use mine at night quite often as well, and that's when it's most distracting by far.
    Hopefully they will let me "test" the new one if I get a replacement.

Also, does anyone know how replacements work for refurbished models? Do they have a stock of refurbs at the store as well?

7. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

At this point, all replacements will be refurbished units.

8. briceman thread starter macrumors member

Works for me! I just want a unit without this issue :)

9. briceman thread starter macrumors member

My appointment is set for this evening. I'm nervous about communicating my problem correctly.
    Also, how would I test this to show them the issues? I notice it especially in a dark room with full brightness (which I use often)
    Thanks for any help.

10. number84 macrumors 6502

just curious why you need to use full brightness in a dark room? i find the lowest brightness setting still too bright.

i got a replacement for my iPad 2 with a light bleed issue, but I was seeing it even at the lowest settings...my replacement is much better...but even at full brightness, you're bound to see some bleeding.

11. briceman thread starter macrumors member

I just like it brighter. The light bleed is pretty bad on many corners. I just don't want to get one that's worse, you know?

12. briceman thread starter macrumors member

See the attached photo for my issue.

Seems to be pretty bad to me.

Attached Files:

13. briceman thread starter macrumors member

Went in and the guy was shocked how bad it was. Gave me a replacement right away. I checked it out and it's much better. Only a tiny bit of bleed on one edge. He also said if it changes or gets worse to bring it in! I love Apple customer service!

14. nickbarbs macrumors regular

i always get a kick from the apple apologists who insist that you should be ok with paying top dollar for a light bleed unit.

Good job going back in - they usually do swap you out without much of a hassle. Dont worry about apple they make plenty of money - its up to you to accept/reject poor quality control - lots of people on this forum accept it but you dont have to.

15. whynotgotovegas macrumors member

I know this is sort of an old(ish) thread, but I decided to give my two cents in anyway. I know it doesn't seem that you are worried about getting a refurbished unit, but if you are, just know this. I have phone service through Verizon, and I have the basic feature phone, but when my LG Cosmos broke and I had to buy a refurbished one, they said that the refurbished models they look over more then their actual brand new models. So that's something to consider. I'm sure Apple does the same thing! :apple: