Taking my MacBook in tomorrow. Opinions on what I should try to get fixed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PDiPietro, Feb 15, 2008.

1. PDiPietro macrumors member

PDiPietro

I'll try to keep it succinct, here. Had this machine for a year (bought Jan. 07) and I have AppleCare. I just haven't had the time dedication to take it in to get some mostly cosmetic, but partly-known manufacturing defects. I've taken pictures of it all. My appointment is at 12:20 tomorrow, and every experience I've had at my local store (Suburban Square, PA) has been wonderful so far (so I'm always unaware of these jerk stories about other stores). Thus I'm hoping I can get a lot fixed -- I'm a bit anal about a lot of stuff, so I always take a lot of care about stuff I own. Sorry if it seems like a lot of pictures/problems, but I'd just like to see what I can get fixed.

Firstly, a known thing. Crack at the bottom of the wrist pad. This means a new bottom case, including keyboard and trackpad and all, right?

[​IMG]

Second: The casing when it closes is off maybe 1.5mm. Is this something they'll fix?

[​IMG]

Fractures on the bottom of the case near the vent -- I've heard this can be because of heat. I haven't done anything to my knowledge that should have caused this, as I'm usually pretty gentle with the computer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The battery is also off a millimeter, maybe. It's more noticeable when you run your hand along it and it's not flush. New battery, or something to do with the bottom case? More of an annoyance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly, the monitor bezel has been loose for a good long while, if not most of the time. Hasn't fallen off, but I couldn't have done anything to cause it.

[​IMG]

I figure that it's simple stuff that can be replaced, but it's whether or not they'll do it. I believe I've read that it's a 24-hour/next-day pickup fix, so will it be? I have a bunch of stuff I use it for and I'm in the middle of the semester in college (commute), so the computer's a bit important to me.

Just curious as to what they may or may not fix for me (especially considering I've paid for the extended AppleCare, too).

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Hey PD -

It's hard to say what they will consider normal wear and tear after a year and what will be considered factory defect. I guess you'll find out tomorrow.

Good luck man -GDF

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

that's a lot of stuff going on!! hopefully they will be able to fix it all for you...and in a timely manner-- kind of depends on whether they have all the parts in stock

after reading your post, i notice i have the same battery issue which i never noticed before-- let us know how you make out

4. PDiPietro thread starter macrumors member

PDiPietro

Another issue.

I also completely forgot this other issue that I can't understand -- the mic-in doesn't seem to work (i.e. if I use a 1/4" to 1/8" jack to hook my guitar up to the computer for GarageBand recording) unless the 1/8" inch end is sticking halfway inside the input, still requiring me to tweak the jack around to pick up any signal. It obviously delivers enough power to the guitar to pick up and record sound, but is something wrong with the jack? I should just be able to plug it in and have it work, at that rate, no?

5. Glueeater macrumors regular

The crack on the top casing of the keyboard only requires the casing to be replaced. That hairline fracture below the vent could be something else though. They replaced the top casing on my Macbook (mid 07) and it feels a lot sturdier.

6. PDiPietro thread starter macrumors member

PDiPietro

Indeed, and I'm glad to be getting a fresh keyboard and the like as a result -- it'll feel so nice and new (you can see the junk beneath the keys in the first picture).

I'm just really eh about those fractures near the vent, and if it'll break off at some point. I know it shouldn't really do that, but I imagine they'd probably have to take it for longer to replace it if that were the case, so I don't know if I should bother with that just yet, if they'd even fix it.

The bezel and the audio are the other two things I'm curious about. The battery is probably the lowest priority, as it's been a great battery so far and works just as fine as it always has after 158 cycles, fingers crossed.

7. nl2134 macrumors member

I hate to be an ******, but you should consider taking better care of your computer. For a one year old laptop, there seems to be a ton of damage to the casing of the laptop.

Good luck, though with your repairs...

8. Sherb macrumors member

This doesn't mean he's not taking care of it. I know many people who've had their top casing crack... along with other problems.

Just take it in and see what they say. I've known 3 people who have had their top case replace for free. Good luck!

9. bored911 macrumors 6502

bored911

i was having a similar problem with the casing, the battery and the bezel. My problem was the logic board (that deserves it's own thread, after the hell i had to go through) but they simply replaced all of it, it was awsome, and made the inside of my crappy macbook look great

10. Glueeater macrumors regular

The cracking is a known issue of design flaw.

Keep in mind OP that you will not receive a new KEYBOARD, but a new TOP CASE. The thing that surrounds your keyboard will be replaced.

11. DMBGuru macrumors regular

The battery is something that they will definitely fix. My macbook shipped with a battery just like that, and it's an indication of warping - which could eventually lead to a chemical explosion with the battery.

I ordered mine online, took it in to the genius bar the day I got it and they instantly replaced the battery.

Of all your issues, I would say that is the most important one because it seems the most unsafe.

12. PDiPietro thread starter macrumors member

PDiPietro

To the person saying to take better care of it, the thing is that I have taken care of it. It's really the plastic. Not me. I have an Incase sleeve which is used whenever it's taken anywhere.

As for the top case issue, I would have figured it's one piece, because the keyboard and such seem to be almost reliant on the top case. Perhaps, if it's actually its own piece, I can ask them to have it cleaned out while the top case is off. I don't know.

13. PDiPietro thread starter macrumors member

PDiPietro

If that's true, that'd be great to get a brand new battery as well. You're pretty certain? I'll have to ask about it. It's always been like that, though, but maybe you're right about it and I was unaware.

14. Mackan macrumors 65816

I am getting a bit sick of seeing these cracks on MacBooks. Such an obvious design flaw. It feels like the probability is high that if I buy one today, it is gonna crack, have screen flicker, or develop/have some of the other "minor" issues I have seen. :(

15. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Just had to say: I really liked your last MB picture. Artistic.

16. Pucas macrumors member

Pucas

Those pictures of yours looks like my Macbook.
    I've got those problems too. :(

But one question!
    - I live in Denmark. Do you guys know if my MB is going to USA for repairs?

17. lost eden macrumors 6502a

I think my MB has many if not all of those faults; I didn't even bother trying to get them repaired/replaced as it wasn't worth the 500 mile round trip & 2 weeks without my laptop.

18. Glueeater macrumors regular

I've got the loose bezel thing too. Haven't done a thing to cause it.

19. lost eden macrumors 6502a

This is the lining-up issue I have with my MacBook. I'm not sure whether it's the base, the lid, or both.

Left side, lines up;
    [​IMG]
    Right side, huge gap;
    [​IMG]
    Left corner, nice & flush;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Right corner, not at all flush;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I've noticed my battery isn't completely flush with the bottom of my MacBook, but I've learned to live with it. It hasn't really cause any problems so far.