Taking Screen Captures of iTunes Movies/TV?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wasjoe, Jan 27, 2014.

1. wasjoe macrumors newbie

I haven't seen an answer to this. In Windows, it's trivial to take screen captures of iTunes-downloaded movies/TV shows. On the Mac, I have yet to find a solution. Mac OS 10.7.5, iTunes 11.1.3, late 2006 Mac Pro.

Software already tried:
    Mac Screen Capture
    Quicktime 10.1
    Snapz Pro X 2.5.2
    GrabberRaster
    iShowU 1.91.5
    Quicktime 7
    Screenium 2.1.8
    VLC 2.1.2 (won't play the files at all)

All of the above except VLC produce grey checkerboard patterns, similar to a Mac OS screenshot attempt of a DVD.

Anyone know anything helpful? I'd appreciate any knowledge, at this point. Why would Apple enable screen captures on Windows and NOT for Mac??

Thanks for your time!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Apple doesn't enable screen capture on Windows. Microsoft does. On Macs, it's a DRM issue.

3. wasjoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I do understand it's a DRM issue. But it is Apple's doing, because Apple's own downloads are allowed to behave differently on another OS than on their own. I guess that's what I find puzzling.

Also puzzling is that there doesn't appear to be a workaround, unlike almost every other DRM I can think of…?

4. netslacker macrumors 6502

If you have an iPhone you can take a screen cap of a movie even if your streaming it from iCloud. It's not ideal but it does work.

5. wasjoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks netslacker, I didn't know that about the iPhone.

Incidentally, for anyone reading this thread in the future, Noteburner's m4v converter DID work in circumventing Apple's DRM, I successfully took a screenshot of a purchased iTunes TV episode using Noteburner's free trial version.

That is the only Mac solution I have found.