Taking Video With The iPhone: A Real "You Can't Hold It That Way"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zinger314, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Zinger314 macrumors member

Zinger314

Seriously, who's bright idea was it to have the video camera to output video to the computer (via copying the .mov file) at the proper orientation *ONLY* if you hold the iPhone landscape and hold it such a way that the home button faces the right?

There is zero documentation that tells you this aside from copying a priceless video to your computer and noticing that it's upside down. As was the case with me. :\

I've heard that if you import to YouTube via the iPhone itself, it will upload in the correct orientation. But that downscales videos with the iPhone 4, who would seriously do that?

2. winstano macrumors regular

Erm... What?

I just shot a couple of test videos to verify this, and the orientation flipped the right way for each one...

3. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Huh? @Zinger314 your post does not appear to comport with the available facts.

4. Zinger314 thread starter macrumors member

Zinger314

On the iPhone it works OK but not on the computer. Edited for clarity.

5. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Videos shot in portrait mode and with the home button on the left are playing properly on my computer when copied from my iPhone 4.

6. winstano macrumors regular

7. Zinger314 thread starter macrumors member

Zinger314

To confirm I'm not crazy, I just took a video w/ Home at left, and used VLC to play it while connected. Upside-down

8. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Does the interface show that it "knows" the orientation of the phone? Could you have accelerometer problems?

9. nohite macrumors member

Maybe the OP had his orientation locked when he was shooting the video?

10. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Nope. Orientation lock has no impact on camera response to orientation.

11. ryuuzaki macrumors member

ryuuzaki

You're joking right? You can't do that with ANY camera as the lens is stationary. Go out and buy any HD camcorder, or point and shoot and you'll find that you CANNOT take video that way.

I understand you may have inadverdantly held it in the improper fashion and yes perhaps they should tell people "yeah hold the phone like this to take proper recording" but you can't expect it to flip with you. That's too crazy.

12. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Actually, you can. Because it does.

13. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

That made me laugh. Hahahaha.

As a simple fix, flip it so the home button is on the right side. Done. End of discussion.

If you already have a vid on your computer that can't be replaced, get a video editing software and rotate it. QuickTime may be able to do it but not sure.....

14. Zinger314 thread starter macrumors member

Zinger314

If it didn't change orientation I'd be a little more forgiving.

That's another one of my complaints: working with .mov is not fun, but I suppose that can't be avoided.

15. Zinger314 thread starter macrumors member

Zinger314

Actually, as a test, I played the video with Quicktime, and it worked correctly. WTF?

16. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

then just rotate the orientation of the video when you put it on your computer.

/thread