Taking your iPhone to another country for a couple of months

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by old-school, Jul 21, 2011.

  1. old-school macrumors 6502

    Sep 2, 2009
    Hi folks,

    A friend of ours from Canada is coming to stay for a couple of months and is wondering what her options are carrier-wise. I know how and why her canadian carrier will charge her a huge amount of money, so she will need a UK carrier.

    Is it possible to do this without unlocking the phone, or will I need to jailbreak it? It would be preferable to keep things 'legit', and let her use a carrier here temporarily.

  2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603


    Oct 31, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario
    im from Canada, and you are right our carriers rape us for roaming charges, she would need an unlocked phone to use a UK SIM, research Gevey Sim thats an alternative to unlocking with jailbreaking, both can be arugeed that they void your warrantee but niether are permanent and can be easily reversed to factory settings in the event you need to bring the phone in for a warrantly claim.
  3. awadeee macrumors 68020


    Jan 21, 2011
    Cell phones that are subsidized with a contract are locked by nature, therefore you will need to unlock it to use it overseas.

Share This Page