Taliban capture US and Afghan soldiers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BoyBach, Jul 2, 2009.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/02/us-soldier-captured-afghanistan

Poor men. I can't think of worse situation for a soldier.

Let's hope this has a happy ending for all involved.

2. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Bleeding hearts in the U.S. are so worried about water boarding but that poor chap is going to have his head sawed off with a sword. There is no diplomacy.

Hopefully they make it through his spinal cord quickly so he doesn't suffer much. When the blade first goes through the throat there is still a ways to go before he meets his Maker.
    :mad:

3. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

He's a trained killer. One who no doubt has killed a lot of people in their own country and he's travelled thousands of miles do so. He was hired to exert somebody else's will over the indigenous people. Surrendering his own morality in the process. He's a mercenary invader who has gone there to kill. I hope he's released, realises the crime he's committed and quits the army to lead a better more reflective life. But if the worse happens, he's reaping what he helped sow. In international affairs, America is the giant retarded bully of the world and it's an immutable fact that it's the ordinary dopes who get it in the neck rather than the neo con war mongers in Washington and Jerusalem. Stop the killing.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes, but the US is supposedly civilised, civilised people don't torture others and adhere to international agreements accordingly.

Obviously the Taliban fighters couldn't give a crap about this sort of thing. Doesn't mean the US (or anyone else) should act in the same manor though.

Henri Gaudier, he's a soldier doing what he's told. That's what soldiers do :rolleyes:

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

You got all that from the article?:confused: I didn't even get his name, rank or serial number. I will conceded several points: 1) He is a trained killer, 2) he did travel thousands of miles, 3) he was there to do someone else's bidding. I don't see where you got the idea that he has already killed a lot of people in their own country or that he's a merc sent their to kill. First off, he could be a green horn straight out of basic training. I just met a soldier yesterday barely out of boot camp; I doubt he has even started shaving yet.:( Another possibility is that he's a medic. The don't carry rifles. They might carry a side arm, but will rarely be in a position to use one. I'd check the assumptions about someone until I get reliable details.

That I agree with. My solutions is to get all the world leaders into one room and let THEM shoot it out. Another thing about the US is how it treats it's war vets. Once you leave the service, the toss you aside like a used soda can.:mad:

6. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

That is absolutely the funniest I've read in ages! You made me laugh hard! :p

7. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I saw this on the news too. Whoever was reporting made the point that this is the first time a US solider has been captured by them. They said that they wanted to make a trade because anything else might set the US on them in a direction they've never experienced, said the news reporter.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Inflammatory, simplistic, and arrogant.

Don't pretend that America is the first, worst, or last "bully" out there. You are one of "us" too as far as I'm concerned. The captured soldier may be a trained killer (what soldier is not?), but you and I are killing people as surely as he is by supporting economic and political systems that maintain high standards of living (though various means) while others people starve to death or are caught in the middle of political conflict.

9. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

You are all forgetting that three members of the ANA were also captured. The US soldier is a powerful bargaining tool for the Taliban which gives him some hope. As for the three Afghans; it doesn't bear thinking about.

10. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I really love how the thread about Mr.Jackson gets more attention than this one, If it weren't for the soldiers protecting us, we might not have this sense of security in our towns and cities and then I love how people talk crap about the soldiers. This world is awesome.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Lots of crap is talked about (y)our soldiers, for example the crap about them protecting you in your towns and cities: they are in Afghanistan to project your quasi-imperialist power in support of a corrupt puppet government. Just sayin'.

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

While I can't really argue with what's quoted, I will note that it is hardly that simple. It's not as if Afghanistan was the model of self-government traditionally, and weak states tend to be the vacuum that nature so abhors...

This is not giving carte-blanche to US actions/policies, but an acknowledgement that "quasi-imperialism" is sometimes a more necessary and benign thing than it is given credit...

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Let's hope he's treated better than we treat our prisoners...

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What's "I demand my rights under the Geneva Conventions" in Pashtun?

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

"Keep me the hell out of Guantanamo"?

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

are you serious

he's just a soldier who was following orders. don't blame the soldiers for the retarded decisions of their commanders.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Do you blame the 9/11 hijackers? Or do you hold them blameless for following the retarded decisions of their commanders?

Just sayin'...

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

many terrorists are brainwashed by their leaders in to thinking they are doing the right thing

19. Queso macrumors G4

And this differs from soldiers how exactly? :p

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Skin colour and beardiness, mostly.

21. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

...and a willingness to meet allah by killing themselves :eek:

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Do you have any proof that the 9/11 hijackers were brainwashed? :confused:

23. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A video has been released of the captured US soldier:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8157795.stm
    Rings a little hollow, doesn't it?

25. awmazz macrumors 65816

The Commander in Chief of the United States Armed Forces, President George W Bush himself, told me personally via my TV set that the Taliban insurgency had been defeated.

So clearly this entire story is a complete fabrication because not only is it claiming the Taliban still remain undefeated, they in fact actually control large areas of the country. And I'm supposed to believe it over the word of the President of the United States? So I don't believe a word of it. There is no captured soldier because there is no Taliban to capture him.

Unless President Bush is the liar. Straight to our faces. Lying about a winning a war? And to think he won office based on the previous President lying about something as serious as a blow job.

Why does the General have the same name as the area? Is it his own native/family/tribal area then? That makes him a Warlord in his own fiefdom, not a General. More freaking lies about what's actually happening there.