Talk me into/out of buying a refurb 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joe91, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Joe91 macrumors newbie

So my 2008 Alu MacBook is on its last legs... Nail in the coffin being a whisky spill on the keyboard rendering half a dozen keys on the left side useless. It also gets hot as soon as its used, and is generally quite laggy. A true workhorse though.

Been keeping an eye for news/rumours about a refresh/update but seems relatively quiet, so I jumped on the refurb store. 13" 2.9ghz i7 with 8GB RAM and a 750GB HDD.

So if I bite the bullet on this machine, am I likely to miss anything big/dramatic if an update to the MBP were to happen in the next few months?

I only use it for music, email, web surfing but lately have been getting back into photography so using it for editing also.

Thoughts appreciated!

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The only thing yoy will likely miss is that line being discontinued. If you need a computer with a Superdrive, buy it now. If you love to have the most recent technology, you would be better off getting a Retina which is the future.

Also, Refurbs are the way to go.High quality standards,replaced parts with new ones and a full warantee at a low price. Only thing you do not get is the pretty white box.

3. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Buy it.

You're going on 5+ years now. I think it's time for an upgrade.

A 13" MBP will handle music, email, and web surfing extremely well, even a little photography/photo-editing.

Just the fact that you made this thread sounds like internally you already want to buy one, but you just want to hear others tell you to, to justify it.

4. gilsan macrumors newbie

I just bought the 13" with the i5 processor from the refurb store, after my iMac went dead with no warning, bad logic board.

It arrived yesterday, 2 days after ordering. I upgraded the drive with a 500GB SSD and moved the original to the optical drive and added RAM. It is fast and great machine at a great price even with the upgrades. I am happy with my decision.

I plan on picking up an external monitor for photo editing sometime in the future.

5. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

Have ordered refurb many times, no bad experiences only positive. 1x my machine came with a larger drive than spec'd.

If they have the exact spec's you are happy with, pull the trigger!

Good luck!