Talk to me about the 1 TB Western Digital My Passport SE

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JWSandi, Sep 17, 2010.

1. JWSandi macrumors regular

I'm looking for a 1 TB backup HD from my iMac.

I like this because its small in size but has the storage space I want.

Like the idea of the USB drive so I can just move it when I need to, to another machine with ease.

But is this like a typical external HD for storage, where you can just drag and drop entire folders into it, w/o having to use any kind of firmware and you must run it in backup mode?

I basically want a small HD like the Passport that I can just drag entire folders into w/o the need for any dedicated software or controls.

How is the life expectancy in this little guy, is it like the Time Capsules that roll over a die far too often or do they last a good while?

I have an old Maxtor External 320 GB HD that's going on 8 years old.

If this isn't what I'm looking for anyone have any other suggestions?

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yes, that drive will work just as you expect.

There basically aren't any drives on the market that require firmware upgrades/additions to use. Once you get into RAID, it's slightly more complicated, but for just a single drive, it'll work (even if it doesn't say it's Mac compatible).

What do you mean by "run it in backup mode"?

3. Ramius macrumors 6502

I have this drive and it works perfect as time capsule and external storage at the same time.

You can turn off time capsule on your mac, or else it will sometimes start backing up when you are doing other things. But that OSXs fault.

Its very very small, with almost no build in the chassis at all. Its like a wallet, with no money in it.

As you might have read up on it, you will probably have heard of the software that comes with the drive. It starts up automatically when you connect it to your Mac, and it gives you a way of managing files and securing them with 256 bits of encryption etc. But users have complained, and on Western Digitals own website, you can download an uninstaller to completely remove it. All you will get is an external disc after that, with nothing else bothering you.

It sound hard, but it took me maximum ten minutes, and its all on their website. Official stuff.

4. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I have it and use it as a video drive (movies, etc) that serves my AirVideo app on my iPad.

Wonderful drive. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

5. Scuby macrumors regular

I thought about it, but decided i'd be better spending a little extra and getting a FW800 drive (since i have my iTunes library on it, so want minimum delays / slowdown). Unfortunately WD don't do a FW800 1TB portable drive yet, so ended up with the Seagate GoFlex - not as small or well built, but as it's connected to a desktop (iMac) it's not going to move and is hidden anyway. Worth considering if you'll use it a lot, but if it's just incremental backups then the one you're looking at will be fine.

David

6. Ramius macrumors 6502

Is it just me, or does it seem like firewire is dying?
    With USB3 on the horison, and pretty much USB being the standard cable regardless already, it just doesnt seem firewire is worth investing in no more.

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Do a little research on that touchy subject and youll see why USB has not yet, nor will possibly ever, overtake FW for certain situations.

Sustained data rates, AFAIK, even with USB3 are nowhere FW800 and the newer FW standards coming. Not to mention the bus powering.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

USB3 definitely outperforms FW800, even with the sustained data rate issue. However, FW1600 and FW3200 are poised to smash that.

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

USB 3.0 smashes Firewire 800. :rolleyes:

And also USB 3.0 is cheap while firewire 800 drives are extremely expensive due to that Apple tax you buy for every harddrive that has firewire.

If my MBP had an expressslot, I'd get a USB 3.0 external drive without questions asked. Even eSata is better.

10. Ramius macrumors 6502

But gadgets using FW pales in comparison to how many that uses USB.
    Why hang on to a niche cable, just because its better. Why not sacrifice it for a unified standard instead.

11. Scuby macrumors regular

Talk of USB3 is irrelevant as the OP has an iMac. So the choice is USB2, or FW800. If speed is important, then FW800 is much faster, but with the limited choice and consequent increased price - around 20% premium on a 1TB portable drive.

Re. the comment about using a niche cable just because it's better, that makes no sense to me. I'll likely have my iMac for at least 2 years, probably 3-4 years, by which time drives will be much bigger and faster anyway, so why put up with something half the speed for maybe 4 years for the sake of ~$20?

Also, the drive i suggested (Seagate GoFlex) has interchangeable cables, so you can upgrade it to USB3 in the future by buying the £10 ($15) cable, rather than a whole new drive.

David