Talked to an apple employee at one of the stores today, guess what he said

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Mar 13, 2012.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

So funny thing, I am walking through the mall today and I decide to go into an Apple store to look around. While I am there I stopped and talked to one of the Apple employees at the front door and ask him when the store was opening on Friday for the iPad 3 release. This is how the conversation went.

Me "When is the store opening on Friday for the iPad 3 release?"

apple employee "We will be opening at 8am but I am sure lines will form earlier"

Me "How will people line up since it's at the mall and the mall won't be open yet?"

Apple employee "The mall will open up around 4 or 5am to allow people to come in and line up in front of the store."

Me "That's awesome, I wish the store had the new iPads out on display so we could go ahead and see them."

Apple employee "It doesn't really matter, they're the same thing as the iPad 2."

Me "Well thanks, have a good one"

That was it, I walked out and continued walking around the mall. I couldn't believe it. He was so jaded about the new iPad coming out. As far as I could tell none of the Apple employees were really excited about the new iPad coming out. In fact, while I was in the store looking at iPhone cases I was overhearing one man who was in the process of buying an iPad 2 and the apple employee didn't try to dissuade him to wait for the new iPad. He was totally trying to talk the man into buying peripherals for the iPad 2 and telling him how great it would be to have it. The man looked to be elderly and what I would consider to be most likely unknowledgeable about the new iPad even coming out.

You would think with just days away, the Apple employees would be like "Come back friday and checkout our new awesome iPad, it is going to be amazing!" but it didn't seem like that type of atmosphere at the store at all. Just my 2 cents.

2. rgr555 macrumors 6502

3. monkeylui macrumors 6502

Lol. Some people just need a job. I doubt most apple store employees are fanboys/girls.

4. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Ex apple store employee here...

He was probably stoned

85% of apple employees are stoners

5. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That would make complete sense then heh.

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Well the older man wants the iPad right now and I doubt he wants to battle weeks of fighting people for the small iPad 3 stock, especially when he probably won't know or care the difference between the two models.

7. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

lmfao wtf ? :D

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You really think an elderly man is going to come back and stand in line for 5 hours on Friday to get a newer iPad? He may not care and anyway the iPad 2 is a little cheaper now.

All the Apple employees know that Friday will likely be a very stressful day for all of them. Imagine hundreds, if not thousands of anxious people waiting outside the store ready to give them crap if they run out of iPads. Why would the employees be excited about a bunch of materialistic people getting a new toy?

9. bouldermac macrumors member

:D:cool::cool:

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I have a friend who works at an Apple store. Apparently Apple customers can be incredibly obnoxious (not that you were). So his jaded reaction doesn't surprise me.

11. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why would they be excited about their product? That's like asking why any retail employee would be happy about getting a new popular item in stock. The faster the item sells out in their particular store shows Apple how much demand there is at that store. Different stores compete for sales (even on items that sell out). Anyone who cares about their job at a retail store and wants to move up will be excited about new products and will also want to get customers excited to get positive reviews from those customers. Positive feedback in the retail sector is priority #1. If you don't believe me, then go buy something at a store and then contact corporate and make a complaint, see how fast you get a response from one of the managers of that store. (I once complained about a bad experience at office depot and then I received a personal email from the store manager within 3 hours apologizing and asking me to come back and shop there).

12. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Apple has a return policy anyway. It's not like theyre ripping ppl off

13. maclook macrumors 65816

I agree based on the number of babes that started working at my local Apple Store. That may be shallow but they're way to hot for me to take computer advice from. They're good at working retail though so it doesn't matter.

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Wow, that's pretty offensive.

15. bigroot macrumors newbie

Sure it's not 84%?

16. unr1 macrumors regular

this thread sucks

----------

I think it's 42.0%

17. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

My local store has some downright adorable girls with that geeky look, they are cute, smart and damn it, cute!

18. mac jones macrumors 68040

Maybe I should pickup some weed along with the iPad when I go Friday.

19. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

You can't expect all retail employees to be excited about their 14.00 per your job at all times throughout the day. Can you imagine how many times a day they are asked that same question? They probably hate the iPad

20. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Perhaps you hadn't seen the eleventy-billion threads asking when Apple Stores would be opening on launch day.

In any case, chances are, you're probably the 47th person to ask him the same question that hour... I'd be pretty jaded by now too. Just sayin'...

21. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

It doesn't matter, your supposed to give great customer service no matter what you hear from the customers. Any service industry position has people being demanding and looking for some sort of discount...it's pathetic really.

Plus you talk about macs, ipads, and iphones all day...it's not that hard if you know your ishhh

22. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

23. Gatorman macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Same as an iPad 2? Does an iPad 2 have a retina display? Plus, if this is your first one...WHO CARES if it's like the iPad 2.

24. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

The salesman did nothing wrong. Apple is a business, not a charity. They're in business to make money and enhance their shareholders' investments. I doubt the store manager instructed anyone to turn sales away. And if the customer was that out of touch that he didn't know a new iPad was coming out, I doubt he'd be savvy enough to understand or even care about the new features. Not to mention the fact that the prices of ipad2s dropped $100.

25. WhoAmI2 macrumors member

I will be wake and baking my way to the apple store on Friday to pick up my iPad. Maybe I can burn-a-bowl in the lot with the older yet still trying to pull off the younger clothes look door greeter. Maybe I'll ask her ;)

Not that I don't believe OP but that story seems a bit overly dramatic in the way he describes the situation. If the employee did react in such a way maybe OP needs to let his boss know as it's bad for business. (if he cares.... which he must because he took the time to post. I wouldn't give a hoot but what ever floats your boat I guess)