Talking politics with people who disagree with you about Trump is...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by unlinked, Jul 26, 2017.

?

Talking politics with people who disagree with you about Trump is

1. Stressful and frustrating

28 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Interesting and informative

16 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Funny it doesn't split into Trump supporters v non-supporters. I haven't personally run into anyone here (in the flesh as it were) who's said Trump's Presidency not a disaster.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I dunno about trump because it's not that discussed in my house or with friends. But personally I believe it's the ignorant types that oppose facts, logic, SCIENCE, etc that are frustrating to deal with. There's a radio host here, James O’Brien, that spoke to Brexit supporters and often found that the cause of their ire (immigrants etc) was misplaced but that they could not be reasoned with even when presented with correct information. If you're big on logic then that's going to grow frustrating.

The big one I discovered today was Americans not wanting "America" to pay for transgender surgery/meds, but are okay with $80m a year going to fix flaccid dicks. And there's no way for them to see the problem with that. Frustrating.

3. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

It is generally stressful and frustrating. I WISH that it was interesting and informative. And to be fair, I have met some terrific people who disagree with me on Trump, but are happy and willing to have an informative back-and-forth conversation. Some of those folks are my friends.

Those people, however, are few and far between.

4. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Why would talking politics stress you out? Honestly,at the end of the day the president has very little,if any, impact on my day to day life. The people have spoken, and elected Trump. I would never vote for Clinton, but I certainly wouldn't have a hysterical meltdown had she won, because at the end of the day it would have no bearing on my situation.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

In a day and age where most just want to censor the opposing side, talking politics with those who diametrically oppose your politics is like pulling teeth. It's been that way before Trump, it's not a Trump phenomenon.

6. unlinked thread starter macrumors 6502a

For voters party affiliation is pretty much who people voted for 90% of the time but non voters might be interesting to see broken out.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Perhaps your life isn't affected, but other people's lives are. For instance transgender people in the military. But really, how can you say that even you aren't affected? A President could get us into wars, do something that tanks the markets, lots of things that could impact you at some point.

If you truly don't believe that a president has an effect on things, then why even vote? Or why vote for a particular person over another?

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

We shouldn't be censoring, but we should be able to take arguments off the table once all the facts have determined the argument's validity. There's way too much echo-chamber in civil discourse and it's not doing anything to further the issue to resolution.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Tell that to the liberal psycho college students.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Talking with people who support Trump is an utter waste of time.

At best they are kidding themselves about him. Or they are projecting onto the person of Donald Trump some sort of mystical powers of business savvy and persuasion they secretly believe they themselves possess. (This Scaramucci character probably falls into that category.)

But an actual conversation about policy? Taxes, trade, investment, healthcare? Waste of time.

Most of the time the discussion comes around to some version of a tacit confession that the person you are talking to voted for Trump because he is neither an African-American man, nor a white woman.

13. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Well, people naturally prioritize their situation, I'm not transgender so I really couldn't care less about them being allowed to serve in the military.

14. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well first off if I was going to do that I'd drop the labels... civil discourse man!

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

There's two "F's" in off. Said that in the most "civil" way I can. :p:D

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

But again, if you really don't believe a president has an effect on your life, then why vote for a particular person over another? It shouldn't even matter who is president if that is what you really believe.

17. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

damnit! Fixed. Typing on the laptop; at least my thumb isn't hitting the $(#&ing trackpad!

18. unlinked thread starter macrumors 6502a

Young people are the people who find discussion most interesting and informative.

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You've clearly never been to UC Berkley.

20. unlinked thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why do blacks find it so much more interesting and informative than whites then?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 26, 2017 ---
    Neither have most young people.

21. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Voting is your civic duty, but truth is both parties are hopelessly corrupt and we're gonna get it from the 0.1% with no lube either way. I couldn't stand Hillary personally so I voted for Trump. Had It been Bernie instead of Hillary I would've voted for him.

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It's interesting and fun. I know the chances of my convincing the other is lower than my chance of getting struck by lightning right after winning the lotto. So why bother trying to convince the other guy? I just roll with it and have fun.:cool:

23. eatrains macrumors regular

Wow, a Trump voter who doesn't care about other people. Now there's a new one.

24. unlinked thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe I don't pay enough attention to life but I feel like only once have I see someone change their mind based on something said on the internet. It was kinda nice to see it one time though.