talking to a medium? experiences?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Keebler, Sep 26, 2008.

?

Have you talked with a medium?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2008.
  1. yes

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. no

22 vote(s)
    61.1%
  3. hadn't thought of it

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

I've never thought about talking to a medium, but I know 2 friends who recently did and they were blown away by the experience. They said it really bridged the gap b/ the physical and the spiritual.

Just wondering if anyone is willing to share their results in terms of being good or bad? You don't have to go into details of course.

My Dad died 18 years ago and now that i've lived half my life, it would be neat to be in touch with him for a variety of reasons.

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

I do believe in it as I am sensitive to my surroundings, on occasion have seen things that have happened, I say go for it!

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

YMMV, but quite frankly it is an area made to fit for gullible people exploited by unscrupulous snake-oil dealers.

"Psychic TV" anyone? :rolleyes:

But people will believe what they want to believe…

Good luck, but keep your eyes open and try not to get ripped-off.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Never been to one as I think its all a load of crap.

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Anyone gullible enough to pay such con artists deserves their fate.

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Unless she has 3 nipples, dont waste your money.
    :D
    218.JPG

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

So have you heard about the psychic midget who escaped from jail?

9. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

i've often wondering about that, but my friend went and the medium told her stuff that only her and her husband knew. More importantly, my friend didn't talk to the medium for any length prior to the session. The details shared weren't anything that could be found on the internet either - i'm talking personal details which couldn't be researched or found anywhere.

I think the TV shows may have put a dent in the reliability of mediums.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've had alot of 'deja vu' moments, but BEFORE anything happens...i'm talking months and years before they actually happen. People reading this can think i'm full of crap, but I've had dreams and later, those dreams will happen and I always stop and think ' holy sh*t', it's happening!

Unfortunately, the dreams with 2 swedish twins in bed haven't happened yet, but for real life stuff...it's happened. Those moments lead me to believe there is a gap between the physical and spiritual to be bridged. I mean, how can that stuff happen? I don't try to understand it b/c i believe it's like trying to understand the size of space...almost beyond comprehension.

But it means something.

I'll keep you posted if I go.

Cheers,
    keebler

10. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I like petite girls, but my wife's about medium. So, yes.

11. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Personally I dont believe in any of this.
    I also see nothing wrong in others who do believe.

Until they ask for your money ;)
    Faith should be free $$$

12. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

The next morning's headlines read: "Small Medium at Large". :D

13. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

OP, I recommend The Enemies of Reason instead. You can watch it here: Part 1, Part 2

I think mediums prey on the hopes and feelings of people and do so without any regard for the consequences of their actions. They slow down the grief process and prolong suffering IMHO.

14. Queso macrumors G4

Don't do it. Honour your father's memory by acting how you believe he would wish you to. Remember him for who he was and move on with your own life.

15. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Okay... here goes...

There is a technique known as 'Cold Reading', which is essentially a way of pretending to know someone's intimate secrets/details whilst really just 'fishing' around for clues. It is a very clever technique, exposed ruthlessly here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18NfN76bAs

If he can do it using basic, Cold Reading techniques, they what is to say the 'real' (sic) mediums aren't doing the same?

As exposed in the video.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I had some Wiccan friends in college. I talked to all kinds of people who claimed to be mediums and such. Very interesting, and I wouldn't discount all of them. Many of them were quite genuine, thoughtful people.

17. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

So we have two groups- people who believe they are really mediums, and the charlatans.

Needless to say, the charlatans give the most 'accurate' readings, and will drain your wallet the fastest.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I believe all so-called mediums are either fraudulent or deluded, without exception.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well- none of these people took any money for anything like that. It was simply part of their belief system- they would just do it. It was actually against their beliefs to take money for that stuff. Too bad other religions aren't like that. ;) I'm not saying they were all for real. I'm just saying that they were capable of some things I couldn't explain. I don't know everything, and I would never claim to.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The skunk sees all.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

But this one is more direct.:D

22. kabunaru Guest

Give mediums/psychics a chance Skunk.

And me, I believe in mediums and all in that psychic stuff. The psychics have always been right on my questions. Of course, some "pretend" to be psychics when they are not, but there real ones as well.

23. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

COLD READING
    (mp3, 7 mins. From Skeptic Guide podcast)

Richard Dawkins' show Enemies of Reason is excellent. See the links above. Also watch Dereen Brown's stuff.

Here basically how it works: the medium makes vague and/or high probability statements, and the subject fits those statements to their own situation. Classic example is the old "problems with the chest area" or "problems with the head" statement. Vague: think of all the medical problems someone can have with the chest/head. High probability: if someone is dead chances are is it related to the chest (heart) or head (brain).

They will also retrofit feedback from the subject to make it look like they knew that information all along. Here's an example of this
    A cold reader may also start with a general statement, and then once the subject answers positively or negatively, they follow up with a more specific statement, pretending that’s what they had in mind all the time. For example, they may claim to “see” the letter “J.” A willing participant might then dutifully fill in the detail of “John.” The reader will then pick up on this and say, “Yes, John. I see a male figure named John who is important in your life.”

“John is my father,” the subject may volunteer.

“Yes,” continues the reader, “because I see that he is an older man, and he was with you as a child.” But later on, the subject will likely recount to others that the psychic knew his father’s name was John.

The last line is important. Our memory is not perfect, so we will likely miss out the details of a sequence like in the quote and just recall the reading with the psychic revealing the information that we actually offered and/or fitted to the statements ourselves. Furthermore, people will tend to remember the 'hits' but forget the 'misses' (know as confirmation bias). This is important to the apparent success of psychics because when you actually list ALL the statements they make, you're very unlikely to be impressed.

Actually it is quite dangerous, particularly psychologically. It interferes/stops the grieving process. A big part of grieving is breaking the connection with the dead person, accepting that they are done and realising that you will never see them again, however psychics tell grieving people that they can still maintain that connection through them. That's bad enough. Even worse then they charge (and most do). Many people becomes addicted to psychic reading.

And by what criteria do we determine the "real" psychics from the "fake" psychics?

24. kabunaru Guest

Unless you are psychic yourself and you will find yourself "bored" when you know everything over time. :D

25. emt1 macrumors 65816

Uh, did anyone learn anything in elementary school science class? Scientific method... proof... etc.