Tamimi court trial in secrecy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, Mar 20, 2018.

1. stylinexpat, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Nour Tamimi was not arrested for filming, she was arrested for also slapping an IDF solider.

Personally I think Israel has handled this problem quite poorly, not to mention the whole illegal settlement which should not have happened in the first place. I see not only animosity of the Tamimis against Israel, but Israel against the Tamimis given their family history (issues with father, suicide bomber cousin, etc). I think Israel wanted to make an example out of her, partially out of resentment towards the family, then realized it created negative global attention. That said, juvenile criminal justice is complex issue anywhere, not to mention an occupied territory.

It is however normal to have military trials for Palestinian offenders and closed door trials for youth- which I guess doesn’t really matter since Ahed took a plea deal.

3. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Correct, I was referring to the person who filmed this video.

Ahed Tamimi’s mother Nariman, who faced charges related to filming the incident, also took a plea deal for eight months in jail. Tamimi’s cousin Nour, who also appeared in the video, agreed to a plea deal for time served – just over two weeks.

4. A.Goldberg, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Ohhh, I thought the cousin filmed it. My mistake. But you’re forgetting the other half of ththe story.

According to BBC
    So it wasn’t just posting the video, which I don’t entirely get since honestly I would think most of the world would appreciate the soldiers display of restraint... but I can see how it might inspire other Palestinians to push back, especially considering the family’s profile. Again, I think this all comes back to a fued between the family and Israel- and this whole situation being handled poorly. It’s also worth noting that the Palestinian Authority does not allow freedom of speech to their own citizens promote divisive or critical ideas.

This is why I’m happy to live in America.

5. stylinexpat, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018

stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I found Taiwan to offer more freedom when compared to America. Not sure how much longer it maybe around though now due to China and Trump lol.

I Must say and admit that freedom of speech in Amy middle eastern country is not all that great. America is not getting any better. If anything less freedom of speech compared to the good old days

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Israel often effectively gets a pass on this kind of nonsense. It's like much of the Middle East, mostly decent people with a really ****** government.

7. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I said it when I lived in Israel and I still say it now that I don't live there. The Israelis treat the Palestinians pretty much the same way that the Germans treated them, sans death camps (but with ghettos). The world just doesn't seem to care too much for some reason. The time is long past when we should allow Israel to continue this behaviour. It reflects poorly on the countries that support them.

8. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

It's a disgrace.

The entire issue of the Israeli government denying Palestinians their own country, and the right of self government, is a disgrace.

9. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

10. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sometimes I wonder if people having given up on living in peace.

12. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

13. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Isa id it when I lived in Israel and I'll say it now. The Israeli government is acting like the 1930's German government and they cannot even see the similarities. It is a sad thing when "Never Again!" becomes "Just Another Day In Israel". I feel so bad for the people of Israel that they have let their government go this far.

14. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

15. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

16. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

So, after spending 8 months behind bars and having her cousin murdered by the Israeli military, Ahed and her mother were finally released. Only to find that they are now being held prisoner in their own country and are not allowed to go abroad and tell their story. What kind of "democracy" does this? Yeah, we know what kind it is. The Israeli government cannot stand having light shed on their dictatorial and draconian behaviour. Letting the world see what they have become is a step too far for them. Imprisoning kids, stopping people from exercising their right to speech and travel freely. Just more crimes to add to the litany of the ones they continue to commit.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018...tamimi-banned-travelling-180908054308329.html

17. stylinexpat, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018

stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

They don’t want her to go abroad and appear on a talk show to earn money. They want the family to also suffer financially

Apartheid rule

https://apnews.com/c814144d2f1949b6bc51c18c94ca7ff2