Tamir Rice Shooting Deemed Justified

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Renzatic, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Saw this on my news page. Figured I'd go ahead and get this ball rolling.

A bit editorialized, but here you go.

On one hand, I can understand caution. Kid walking around with an airsoft gun that looks all but real, since he removed the orange tip that comes standard with them.

...not that they would've been able to tell, since they drove up within mere feet the kid, putting themselves in immediate danger, jumped out, and shot him without ever having ascertained the situation. Hell, even if he were a threat to public safety, those are some pretty terrible tactics.

Then they lied about it. Said the park was crowded, they gave him three warnings, and he went for the gun in his waistband. As you can tell from the video, none of that was true.

But, per the prosecutor, his shooting has been deemed justified. Considering this was one of the cases that kicked off the BLM movement, I can't imagine anything good coming from this.

For anyone wanting to jump in and defend the police on this matter, remember this. Not all cops are bad. Most, I'd say, are good people wanting to do the best they can in a one of the most difficult jobs around. But some aren't. Some merely inept and stupid. Some are just scum. When you try to protect the actions of bad cops, you put the good ones in danger by their association. When the system covers up their deeds, it makes people distrust them. The best thing anyone can do for the police are to protect and stand beside those who deserve protecting, and call those who don't.

So remember that before you jump in and agree with the judgement. Because that video? The actions of those two police after the fact? They all show you're arguing for the indefensible.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given the police in Shetland where there has been no crime since time immemorial managed to handle a teenager with a real rifle that was actually unloaded without shooting anyone this is beyond pathetic.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't get how they justify keeping anyone like that on a police force. Misrepresentation of events in such a serious matter should be enough to bar them from ever holding another position where they would carry a weapon on duty.

4. unlinked macrumors 6502a

You don't think the prevalence of gun crime and difference in populations have pretty obvious impacts on how police react to someone waving a gun around?

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

If he would've had a real gun, he could've gotten at them first.

6. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Time to lay off the Stallone and Schwarzenegger movies. No way is a kid going to be able to take out two cops with guns aimed at him.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

In which case - as in Shetland - they'd have stayed at a suitable range so they weren't at risk.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I understand why some citizens feel they, as a group are abused. Unfortunately the System, a reflection of it's human management protects its enforcement agents over the rights of its citizens. Only society can insist on changing this.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The cops were stupid for pulling up so close, they could have come in from farther away and had time to assess the situation before shooting. If all we look at is the two seconds before the shooting you can make an argument that it was justified, but that ignores the fact that these cops put themselves into what could have been a dangerous situation if it was a real gun by being incredibly stupid in their tactics.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This is the key for me. If you put yourself in immediate danger, where a split second makes the difference between life and death, then you severely limit your options in dealing with the situation. The cops put themselves in that position. They chose to drive right up to the boy, instead of putting some distance between them, which would have allowed the police to make decisions that weren't split-second, life-or-death. IMO, the cops were inept, reckless, and murderous. It's a tragic shame that they'll be given a pass for it.

11. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

The cop that shot him was fired for lack of the stuff a cop needs and his parter beat up a little old lady that called the cops for help. he also lost the lawsuit against him. this is just sick they did not do anything right.

12. unlinked macrumors 6502a

They were at risk but they were more willing to take a risk somewhere where there has been one murder since the 60s than somewhere where there are 2 a week.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No because the Shetland police stayed at a distance and didn't run in gung ho.

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

Sure. If he practiced at the gun range enough he could take at least one out. Then maybe the other one retreats.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Much, much more likely it's a toy gun.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And he was 12 years old.

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

And he was shot.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Exactly. Some of us see that as a problem.

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

Because it is.
    They should ban toy guns.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

21. unlinked macrumors 6502a

How far away do you think the police were? I'm far from a gun expert but I'm pretty sure had he had a real rifle the extreme distances involved would not have saved them.

[​IMG]

22. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It was not a rifle. It was not someone with firearms training. It was a kid. I guess I should be glad that someone with your judgement is (presumably) not a cop. It's also worth mentioning that one of the reasons cops have partners is to help ensure their safety.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Nothing in the ops link states they were fired