Tamron announces 15x zoom lens for Nikon, Canon DSLRs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Renderz, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Renderz macrumors 6502

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/01/tamron-announces-15x-zoom-lens-for-nikon-canon-dslrs/

Over at Engadget they've posted a quick article about this potentially versitile lens with a zoom range from 18mm - 270mm which is the same territory as Nikon's excellent 18mm-200mm VR.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking Nikon lenses are the only one's you should be buying, but sometimes the money factor gets invovled and scupper's your decisions. So with this Tamron there will be concerns of build quality and lens clarity.

I've formed my own opinions, gathered details and news on http://www.terrylee.net/blog/?p=342

2. pinktank macrumors 6502

I haven't used it yet but personally but I wouldnt go for such a zoom range as its never useful. I'd rather have an 17-50 and a 80-200 for the rare occasions that I'll need one

3. disdat macrumors regular

disdat

Yea, it does seem like a good "all in one" lens, but don't they say that the wider the range, the lower the image quality.

I agree w/ the second poster. I would rather have two lenses in that range, than one. yeah, it's a pain to keep changing lenses, but I would rather have better IQ and faster apertures

4. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

It's a matter of time before some lens manufacturers produce high quality lenses such as this, but of wider apertures. Just think about this: wouldn't you like to have one single lens with a fixed aperture of at least f2.8, one that would cover a range from ultra-wide to perhaps 200mm? That would be much easier than having to remove and replace lenses and get dust all over the sensor, but would probably cost a fortune.

That said, I prefer Canon lenses, but also use Tikina and Tamron.

5. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

They already have an 18-250 that is very well regarded, so people are looking forward to this.

6. termina3 macrumors 65816

Have you held a 70-200 f/2.8? Decently heavy, but manageable. Now consider adding more glass to that…you're talking about a super-tank that'll be stuck on mono- and tri-pods.

7. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Seriously. The more light you let through, the more glass you need. An 18-200 f/2.8 would weigh more than a Buick.

8. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

I understand that, but with the technological advances of today, it's a matter of time. We are looking at present lens technology. The Lenses like the Tamron lens posted above, if the trend continues, will allow for more light to pass through while maintaining the same size.