Target Mobile (aka Radio Shack)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KeepCalmPeople, Nov 5, 2012.

1. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

This may have been discussed before, but...

I upgraded one of my lines to a 16GB 4S over the weekend at my local Target. Upon reviewing the receipt in more detail (always after the fact... when will I learn?) I noticed that while I paid $99 for the phone (as expected), I paid sales tax of 8.25% on the $799.99 full retail price of the phone! Now, the unlocked phone can be bought here for $549.99, so basically I paid additional sales tax on $250, amounting to $20+.

Not really sure why Target Mobile/Radio Shack does this. The money is going to California, unless there is some shady accounting going on. Perhaps Radio Shack sells a 3rd party warranty based on the value of the phone, so they mark it up?

I should have bought direct from Apple or AT&T. I complained and they gave me a Target gift card to compensate me, but it's a bit devious.

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Not sure why they reversed it, CA residents pay sales tax on the unsubsidized price.

3. Jayohwhy macrumors newbie

tax on the unsubsidized price of the phone is standard practice in California. If you want tax on the subsidized price you need to go to NV or HI.

I too am surprised that they refunded you.

4. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Radioshack also tacks on about $75 to early upgrade prices. I had to fight that when I returned my 5 the other week to get another 4s. I had no choice and no one else has 4S's anymore around me.
    Very shady tactics by them but I got the price match after I complained quite a bit to the DM

5. KeepCalmPeople thread starter macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

My point was not that I paid tax on the unsubsidized price - I know that is the law. My issue is that Radio Shack/Target Mobile claim that the unsubsidized price is $799.99, and I had to pay sales tax on that, when the price should be $549.99.

6. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

RadioShack charges a $50 premium on all iPhone unsubsidized sales.

For example a base 16GB is normally $649 but at Radioshack it's $699.

Now as far as the 4S being $799, I'm not sure. You should call their Customer Care line.