Target's $150,000 Donation To Fund Anti-Gay Politics

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Jul 26, 2010.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Link

2. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

And I bet these are the same people who watch Fox News and think that Islam is a violent and intolerant religion :rolleyes: Religious nutjobs in general are a drag on any society and these people are no different. Imagine if they held positions of reasonable power, Glen Beck's theocratic wet dream come true! :eek:

3. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow! No way should Target be sending money to support these wingnuts.:mad:

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I used to go there allot but never again.

6. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Awesome now I have a legitimate reason why I don't want my girlfriend shopping at target.

Less cheap **** in the apartment and no more funneling money to some wing nut bigots.

Disgusting, no if ands or buts.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

9. Queso macrumors G4

Ooh time for some consumer boycotting. We'll watch and see how this plays out :)

10. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Wonder what the shareholders will make of it now that this is out. We don't have Target here, thankfully by the sounds of it.

11. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

Most probably wont even care. Which is just as bad.

12. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Depends whatever else the guy is lobbying for. I'm guessing he's not into politics just for bashing gays. He might be against a few consumer protection laws that Target shareholders are interested in seeing removed from the books too.

One sided reporting is one-sided. Seriously folks, I doubt a corporation gives a hoot about his views on gays. Look at other things in his program to see why he's getting this money.

13. Queso macrumors G4

No excuse. If they haven't spotted his policy on us before handing over $150k of shareholder funds, shareholders who will have gay people amongst their numbers, then somebody needs to be at the very least reprimanded. This is going to cost Target a lot of customers unless they very publicly get that money back.

14. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I'm sure you've voted for a guy once without knowing his entire program, just based on a few points you did know about. I'm also sure some of the other points you might have disagreed with.

He who has never sinned may cast the first stone. Feel free to boycott them, I'm just saying the headline is huge spin. Target didn't spend 150k$ to support anti-gay views. They spent it to support something else, they just gave it to a guy that happened to have anti-gay views.

15. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

Just to note, the reason Target was even able to donate such a large sum of money to a PAC is due to the Citizens United ruling. This is just another example of why we need to change how campaign financing is done in this country.

Please everyone, support the DISCLOSE Act (S. 752; H.R. 1826) to help defray all of the negatives of our current system:

http://www.commoncause.org/site/pp.asp?c=dkLNK1MQIwG&b=6074817

16. Queso macrumors G4

Nope. I'm one of those annoying people who actually make the effort to get to know the candidates before putting my X on the paper. Before our recent elections the telephone canvassers were quite surprised just how informed I was about what their candidate stood for and where the flaws in their histories were (IMO).

I will also make the point that there is a huge difference between accidentally voting for someone with obscenely discriminatory policies and accidentally giving them $150k of someone else's money.

17. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

I agree with you that shareholders aren't always aware of what sort of lobbying their cash goes towards. But once it comes out, like in this situation, Target will have to distance themselves from this dirt.

It is serious stuff, money going out from a public company and being connected to anti-equality politics. You will lose share value over it, and shareholders do care about share value, even bigots do.

Same as sponsorship - if your celeb puts a foot wrong, you distance yourself from them.

18. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Except the stock is climbing after the release of this news. I'm not kidding, check Google Finance.

Funny how the stock market works ?

But seriously, again, Target isn't out to get gays in all probabilities. This does nothing for them as a corporation. They are lobbying this guy for something else. I'd be much more concerned in finding out what they were trying to buy exactly then trying to spin them as anti-gay or anything.

19. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

You're right, it has gone up, I also had a look around at the news, and much of it is reporting it not so much with anti-gay spin, but more about shoppers being unhappy that Target have decided to donate such a large amount to any politician.

On a second look though, it is quite bad. Target has a typically moderate image, and this particular candidate is way out of sync with their image. It is very surprising.

They're giving him 100k in cash for him to use in his campaign promoting himself and his values.

And 50k is for the use of brand consulting, ie, how to market himself and his ideas to the public I'd assume.

It does look bad on the details.

20. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

This stinks i guess i will be canceling my target visa and will be going somewhere else to shop. I can't give money to a corporation who would be in bed with someone like this.

I really thought that target was a gay friendly company like Apple and others but i guess it's not. Which is strange considering they have always included sexual orientation in their Non-Discrimination policy for employees.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wal-Mart isn't any better on political contributions either, unfortunately, it's a lesser of two evils.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

:eek: I never vote for a candidate without researching them first- neither should Target be giving this fool money.

23. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I assure you one can lead a quite full life while shopping at neither.

24. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

K-Mart? :eek:

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's for sure. I tend to shop local anyway. There's no need to go to either in the city.