Task/Activity manager for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yashraj, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Yashraj macrumors newbie

I just moved from Android to iOS and it seems pretty delightful. However I miss how easy everything was in android :(
    I am looking for an app that allows me to monitor all the app activity and also check background apps.
    From the multi-tasking window(the double-press of Home button) I removed all the apps however I notice that there are still apps running as I receive game notifications, notifications are not an issue but I actually want to just turn it off. Since a jailbreak is not available, please suggest some legit method.
    Please advice me what to do.

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

You only need to do this kind of micro management in Android because it's not well handled by the OS. Just let iOS handle background app activities. If an app doesn't respond, you can always double click the home button and kill the process by tap and hold on its icon.

The app drawer in iOS is just a shortcut. It doesn't mean that all of the apps there are running. You don't need to have such an OCD to "close" all apps after quitting it.

I hope that you can truly enjoy using the phone as a phone and as a powerful little assistant in your life but not wasting all your time in killing apps like what you did in the Android world. That's not worth it.

3. Yashraj thread starter macrumors newbie

Some games like Simpsons Tapped out constantly communicate with its server which take up RAM, battery and also my internet data. So there is absolutely no way to get around it?
    Any possibility after jailbreak is available?

4. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

As far as I know, since iOS 4, an app is only allowed to finish its unfinished activities (before you close it) for 10 minutes and after that it cannot continue to download or upload anything. It will enter a 'suspended' state like other closed apps.

5. scaredpoet, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Have you gone into Settings -> Notifications and edited notifications there? You should be able to turn of notifications for each app you don't want notifying you anymore.

Push notifications are a different animal, and aren't exactly "multitasking" in the true sense. What's happening is, the phone is listening for push notifications from Apple's servers, for all apps that have them enabled. So, even if the app has been force-quit, and it's no longer running at all, you can still get a notification. Not because the app is running on your phone, but because the app vendor has their notification process still running on their servers, that gets pushed through Apple.

So basically, push notifications is its own process in iOS (called apsd), and it handles all push notifications for all apps. Even if the app isn't running, it's apsd that receives them and figures out what to do with them.

Does that take up data? Yes, though unless you're getting tons of notifications all of the time, the usage should be pretty negligible, maybe a kilobyte for a really lengthy one.

Does it take up RAM? Only as much as the notification service takes up, which is going to be there whether or not the app has been quit. When you're talking a gigabyte of RAM on the iPhone 5 and iPad 3, it's pretty much a drop in the bucket, and it's still not so bad on an ipHone 4/4S.

Does it take up battery? Again, that depends on how many pushes you get. Disabling push notifications will probably increase your battery life by a small bit if you're receiving a lot of unwanted notifications.

In a nutshell: you're going to find that iOS devices are not really designed for people who are obsessed with what processes are running, and who want to manually manage their RAM. That's all stuff it's going to handle on its own. Some tech geeks (like myself) kinda like that it "just works" and it's reliable enough that I'll just let it do its thing, and find other, more problematic computers to go tinkering with. Others, not so much.

6. Oridus macrumors 6502a

No offense, but Android handles processes in a similar way. Only uneducated android users use APP killers to manage their apps..

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

This whole process is unnecessary and a waste of your time.

8. Fresh1 macrumors regular

Exactly. I never understood why people do this. You're doing more harm than good.

9. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

This.

The app can request additional time to do things after it's dumped out. No guarantees that it will be granted this time tho.

Only a certain number of features are allowed to run without the app running (location ,VoIP etc).

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Stop worrying and enjoy the device. Don't just assume that you know better. Even on Android it isn't necessary.