Tax cheat & campaign finance law violator. Meet Ilhan Omar

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by raqball, Jun 7, 2019.

1. raqball, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019

raqball macrumors 68000

I found this a little interesting. Not really the campaign finance law violations as it happens all the time and it's complicated so I don't really hold that against her.

The tax cheating is interesting though, all things considered.

Ilhan Omar violated campaign finance rules

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/il...ion-finds-as-questions-about-tax-status-arise

*snip*

Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., repeatedly violated state rules when she used campaign funds to pay for personal out-of-state travel as well as help on her tax returns and must reimburse her former campaign committee nearly $3,500, Minnesota campaign finance officials ruled Thursday.

Additionally, conservative commentators pointed out that the Board's report revealed Omar and her current husband, Ahmed Hirsi, filed joint tax returns in 2014 and 2015, when Omar was reportedly married to another man. Omar engaged in a civil marriage with Ahmed Nur Said Elmi in 2009, and the couple separated in 2011 without formally petitioning for divorce until 2017.

Prior to her marriage with Elmi, Omar had reportedly wed Hirsi in the Muslim "faith tradition," but the couple separated shortly afterwards. Omar did not officially marry Hirsi until 2018, after reconciling with him and splitting with Elmi.

Tax experts say the IRS only permits joint filings if a couple is in a state that legally recognizes the couple as married.

"A sitting congresswoman may have filed EIGHT YEARS of fraudulent, felonious, tax returns," added writer David Steinberg, who authored a Twitter thread flagging the issue.

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 7.53.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 7.54.54 AM.png

2. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

8 years of fraudulent, felonious tax returns. Yikes!

But Trump in

3. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    We do have some crazy all over the place laws.
    As someone running for a position that makes laws, she should have been well aware of the ones she should be following.
    On her marriage / tax issue, sounds like someone clued her in and she tried to "fix it".

4. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

Tax forms are pretty clear (married / single ect) and last I checked you need to enter the name of the spouse if filling jointly...

I'll give her a pass on the campaign law violations but not on the taxes...

5. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

David has seen Ilhans tax returns? Are they public?

6. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Glad you care about tax fraud and campaign finance law violations. Read into that however you want.

7. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Democrats best kept secret, as well as AOC.

8. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

Agree and it's nice to see liberal concerned when it happens on their side of the fence.. Oh wait..... ;)

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Oh no ..... $3,469.23 was misused. Which was probably done at her handler's whim. :eek:
    Let's take her down this instance.

I'll wait for an explanation for the joint tax return situation, before I speak on it. I'm surely not going to just blindly ride with FOX's narrative on it.

Now can we finally see Trump's taxes so we can compare the negligence? Pretty sure both parties know the outcome of that. :p

10. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Launch an investigation for all I care. I think there’s a lot of corruption in government. I’m just calling out the disingenuousness of this thread.

11. raqball, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019

raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

I must have missed that so maybe you can be a bit more detailed to why you feel that way...

In your opinion its disingenuous to post a thread about a politician violating campaign finance laws and tax laws?

That's certainly an interesting take. I'll search through the Tump tax and finance law threads and see if I can find where you've called them disingenuous as well....

If I find any instances, I'll circle back here and give you the proper credit for being consistent on the topics...

Edit: I looked and didn't find any..

12. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I think you’re confused with what “disingenuous” means.

I’ll make this easy: Do you think Trump should be investigated for tax fraud and campaign finance violations? If your answer is no, this whole thread is disingenuous.

13. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't think you understand the word and if you do you then you are just tossing it out all willy nilly like as a means to discredit others or threads?

But by all means if he violated those laws then investigate away...

Anywho, diversionary tactics aside, care to discus Omar's alleged crimes?

14. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Ok, and the only way to find out if he violated those laws is to investigate. I support investigations for Donald Trump and Ilhan Omar. Let the justice system work!

15. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

This thread is for Omar's alleged crimes. I believe there are a few thousand others re: Trump investigations / crimes..

16. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I know, and I’m saying investigate anyone where there’s any doubt if they violated the law, including Omar.

17. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

That must've been a dilemma, what name to choose out of two.

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Flip a coin? ;)

19. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

ROTFLMAO, Rhonindk.
    Seems she did it a number of times between 2009 and 2017. ;)

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

taxation is theft, so if she did more power to her :D

21. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

Midget, I am sure her reach private life turned you on. :p

22. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

For what reason? Both AOC and Ilhan Omar ( Omar has tax as well ) both have campaign violations. To my knowledge Trump does not have any, other than everyone using every subpoena under the sun trying to find something to impeach him over it.

Meanwhile we have conservative filmmaker dinesh d'souza have jail time over it while two government officials seem to skate out of it.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2019 ---
    Already had a 34 month investigation.

23. Zenithal macrumors 604

I don't think she's a dominatrix, dear Ulens.

24. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

Oh, I didn' know about that preference of our Midget.

25. Zenithal macrumors 604

Is it not obvious? :eek: