Tax Cuts Didn’t Help These Harley-Davidson Workers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, May 22, 2018.

1. VulchR, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

OK - you got out, and I understand that probably took a lot of hard work. However, my bet is that you used government services, like education, that were much better resourced (not just budgets but attitudes, equipment, etc.) than they are now. As for personal responsibility, people give up after trying and failing to get ahead. Some of the poor people I knew were third or fourth generation poor, worked their butts off, but were always struggling. It didn't help that they were minorities. For every person like you, there are many more mere mortals seemingly locked into poverty, and they suffer for it in spite of working. The US made good progress on the 'war on poverty' until rich selfish folk decided it cost too much. Now we have the war on drugs, the war on terror, etc. but the simple fact is that more people die early from poverty than from drugs or terrorism but nobody seems to give a ****. Take a look at what poverty means now in the US: link.

2. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Well, you either believe that government has a role in helping people step out of poverty, or that they can lie in the gutter until they are motivated to go get 2 or 3 jobs and minimum wage and go live in a shack. And consider this last tax cut was welfare for the wealthy and it's disgusting the priorities of the GOP, but it's no secret who their sponsors are, hint: not average or low income Americans.

3. NightGeometry macrumors regular

Yeah, but... Guzzi's are nice bikes, and pretty good. It must hurt that Indian bike sales are doing great, 16% up on sales in 2017. Harley still have a comfortable lead, but it's narrowing. Indian eating their traditional sales, modern German, Brit and Jap bikes eating the young market. Can't be a nice place to be in.

(As an anecdote, I was over in the US in 2016, went on a guided tour, most of the people were Americans. Two older gents rode down on massive Harleys. Our tour was on big BMW GS's. They hated them at first. A week and a half later we get back to base, the two older dudes get on their Harley's and get half way down the road. One thought his bike must be completely borked, the engine just wasn't firing properly. It took them about an hour to realise that actually Harley's are just trash and they didn't realise before. Riding a modern bike was a stark contrast, I suspect of that group very few will buy Harley's in future, one of the younger guys actually cancelled an order while on tour, and put in one for a beemer.)

4. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Well for my money Trump could have done better than cut a deal to revive ZTE... which deal is apparently now done per Wilbur Ross.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...has-deal-to-allow-zte-to-get-back-in-business

Making China great again....

MakingChinaGreatAgain.jpg

5. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

6. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

But the whole world is paying for that failure to understand the inevitable focus of Trump on himself as the "greater good" for Americans in the 2016 elections. Many who voted for him may have been cynical about his character, went for the material parts of his agenda but flipped it around to "lesser of evils" in making their choice.

In other words not all his fans at the time were gullible so much as fairly sure the GOP would hold their majorities for one more Congressional term and get that tax cut done without a lot of moaning over the cost of it. Done and done (except for figuring out how to pay for it).

The payments for that choice on other fronts are looking pretty steep as well. Steeper every week, really. I hope the Dems can retake the House in November and slow this train wreck down some. There's more stuff in front of the "cowcatcher" on Trump's engine now than usually piles up in the icejams in the brooks around here during winter thaws, and that's saying something.

Still the GOP winks and nods and rolls out the occasional throat-clearing reminder that Donald Trump unto himself is not our only branch of government. He's the only one his fans were looking to for help though. He's letting them down a deal at a time. The rest of us are along for the ride until and unless more of them turn on him. Even his fans say oh well Harley Davidson, they were losing ground anyway, it's not the President's fault (although they'll credit him with any random upside that has occurred on his watch).

So I don't see the Republicans who represent those Trump fans trying to do anything but keep Trump from harming their chances to retain at least the Senate in November. The Trump fans are on their own and looking at a House majority that uses them rather than elevates their chances of escaping from the "left behind" category. Dems have made gains in local elections but they may still be facing headwinds in Congressional races this year. What can they promise that Trump hasn't promised? His lies belittle in advance the promises and platforms of any political adversary at this point. He's said it all, done some cosmetic overlays, co-opted every set of economic numbers ever looked right side up. And his fans take every cue he hands out even if it speaks again to Trump's lies more than to any effort on their behalf.