Tax Fraud Minister Resigns For Having A Secret Swiss Account

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by flopticalcube, Mar 19, 2013.

1. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-...tax-fraud-resigns-having-secret-swiss-account

Comforting to know that people like this are running the world. /sarc

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Thank GOD they aren't seeking more power... like running for US President. Oh wait, no, there is no way a major political party would nominate anyone to ever run for President who was that secretive and shady with their money. Right?

3. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It would not surprise me if at least 50% on either side of the political spectrum didn't have number account in the Caymans.

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I KNOW Romney did. (edit - and he was the guy who represented the entire GOP)

5. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

You KNOW that Romney had secret Cayman accounts, which were not subject to U.S. tax?

Source, please?

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

7. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Then I won't feel bad if it sounds smug to tell you to RTFA, specifically the cited ABC article, and tell me how any of that was being "hidden", or used to avoid tax liability.

8. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Who said anything about tax liability, other than you?

9. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

So sorry, Mr. Tax Attorney...

Are there other reasons to have money in Cayman accounts? What were you all up in arms about then, if it wasn't for tax purposes?

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm sure that plenty of Democrats in Congress have offshore funds hidden away, however it does seem pretty damn likely that Romney is in that boat too...

11. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

And a damned fine boat it is too. Actually, when they are that big I think they are called ships.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

All we need to do to claw back the money from tax avoiders is to threaten all-out war on these small rumps of countries (Switzerland, Caymans, Luxemburg, etc.) who do not cough up the bank details of the overseas accounts of US citizens. Right now one has to declare any overseas account >$10K, but the only leverage used on foreign banks is that they have to divulge such accounts if they want to do business in the US. Not doubt the banks that don't do business in the US shrug this off, and it appears that some hide money anyway. Thus, it seems to me that peaceful inducements have not worked.

And, yes, I am being sarcastic. But not too sarcastic.... I'd like to see US cyberforces hacking rogue banks.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This is a bit ridiculous, especially for us working and living outside of the US. I don't feel that its any business of the US what is in my accounts. I didn't earn the money in the US, so I will find ways to avoid reporting it.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

If you are a US citizen living overseas, I hope you realize that any bank that has any business in the US is compelled to reveal your bank accounts to the US government (IRS) and that you are required to declare any account on which you are signatory that has over $10,000. This took people rather by surprise a few years back, because it was not mentioned on any tax form. The US government is getting less and less tolerant in this regard (see article in Forbes).

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

What I find hilarious is that I never mentioned any motive, yet you are the one who insinuates that having an account in places like Switzerland, the Caymans, or any of the other islands where Mittens has hidden his money must mean he is cheating in some way.

Let the record show... you said it, not me.

16. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

And you continue to avoid the question.

Why did you immediately bring Romney up in a thread about secret Swiss accounts, if not to strongly imply that he was doing something wrong?

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because Romney obviously has one...

18. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

A "secret" one??

19. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

"Having" something, and doing something improper or unlawful are two very different things. One has to question why bring up that the sky is blue, unless you want to make a point about colors, light refraction, or poetic images?

I own several pistols. If one is discussing infamous killers, it really wouldn't be very relevent to mention my pistols unless I had used them to join the ranks of infamous killers. Just owning them is quite irrelevent to that discussion.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think his refusal to release more than one year's ( and it was incomplete) tax return speaks for itself. For Christ's sake,he required 5 years from the VP candidates he vetted.

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hmmm, I might have brought him up to show that this isn't just something that happened on the other side of the ocean. In fact, as recently as the LAST ELECTION, the GOP nominated as their standard bearer a guy who happened to have bank accounts he refused to discuss or provide information about in places like Switzerland, the Caymans, Bermuda, etc.

If you don't remember your history, you are doomed to repeat it. If the GOP wants to argue they are the party of fiscal responsibility, they better remember the mistakes they made so recently.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I have figured out ways to avoid this for everything except my retirement account. I pay more taxes here than I ever did in the US, I can't think of any reason for the US government to need to know how much I have in the bank.

Disclosure amounts should be for accounts in the 100k plus range and only for people living and or working in the US.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There are two reasons to have a Swiss bank account, avoiding taxes and financial security. As the US doesn't have a problem with the latter then only the former is a good reason.

At least with guns there is self defence, hunting, shooting in a range etc as legitimate reasons to own a gun.

----------

Agreed.