Tax/regulations/spending policies in the US of A, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by G51989, Apr 17, 2014.

1. G51989, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Many threads are made about what is wrong with the way the US of A does things internally, few are made about what normal people would do.

Let's say you were the President, and had the full support of the House, Senate, and the supreme Court? As in anything you suggest gets passed What would you do to to make sweeping changes?

Me?

I would cut the military by at least 60%, via closing overseas bases, reducing troop numbers, and scrapping any hardware we don't need. No more boneyards of ships and planes we don't need. No more bid free contracts, no more stockpiling weapons we'll never use. I would also form a separate unit to Audit the military ti keep costs under control. Even with a 50% cut, the US would still be a huge military giant, easily capable of defending itself and its allies without any issues.

I would also end all the insane amount of pocking lining that goes on in the military. This whole " spend more on fuel or ammo so we get more next year " is gone.

I would end all free trade agreements the US of A has, and increase tariffs, while offering Tax breaks to business that do not outsource, and tax increases to those that try to move jobs out. Clearly the " Free market " has failed at protecting the American worker, time to step in and protect them.

I would get the goverment out of the scam that is the student loan business ( The Government pays more in interest to the banksters than just straight up paying tuition at state owned universities ), and just straight up pay for people to go to state owned Vocational schools, community colleges and University . It would actually cost us less money in the long run then the interest free Fed loans. And students would not have crippling debt. This money would stay out of private school coffers as well. If people want to go to those schools, they can take a loan from a bank or pay in cash.

I would end Obamacare, and offer a single payer healthcare system that first world countries have, and allow the private providers to keep functioning if people want to pay it out of pocket.

I would increase funding to education on the K-12 level, and reform the school system, to cater to the needs of every child, and not just throw cookie cutter crap tests on everything.

I would also start a MASSIVE overhaul of America's Highways, bridges, rural roads, water and sewage systems, power grids, power plants, drainage systems, irrigation systems, air ports, seaports, and Aircraft tracking systems. We need it, badly. I would also invest in a high speed rail system on the east and west coast, where it makes sense.

Also, Privately funded Elections? Gone. K street? Gone. Lobbyists? Gone.

Also, I would increase grants to car or train or airplane companies that develop better and more efficient cars. You might not think that as I am a huge car guy, but my 470 Horsepower Grand Sport Corvette is also gets 29mpg highway and is super clean on emissions. I also plan to buy a Tesla.

I would also massively increase NASA funding.

Id dump a ton of grants and funding into the International Fusion project and the next generation of Nuclear Reactors.

Mars Mission, NASA has straight up said its been possible for almost 10 years now...instead of giving corporate handouts, and I do mean handouts, the right complains about handouts to the working poor and students and disabled and people who need help, while at the same time big business stands with its hands out demanding tax payer money, that is gone.

Give that money to the poor, and give it to NASA to restore American pride. No more handouts for Mega Corps.

What would you do?

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd vote for you for president.

I'd even put your bumper sticker on my car.

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I would do a lot of what you would do, but, with a big push to cut CO2 emissions permanently.

4. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Totally forgot about that, I'll add it in.

Might sound odd as I am a huge car car, but I love clean cars and trucks, as long as it goes fast and sounds awesome, I like it. Make it use less fuel and be cleaner? Why not. I just won't drive an Ecobox

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As you are president, I'll overlook a few flaws.

;)

6. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

I think that not everyone needs to drive an Ecobox to save fuel, I mean look how far lots of cars have come, a 60s Corvette makes MAYBE 270hp if its lucky, and gets about 7MPG. My 2012 is so good on emissions that in very congested cities in some parts of the world, the air coming out of the tailpipe is cleaner than when it went in ;) It also gets nearly 30MPG highway if you dont beat on it.

Plus, who needs an Ecobox to be green?

[​IMG]

7. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I would spend half of whatever time I had, fixing the political system.
    If thats working, most of the rest will fix itself.

Incentives for voting, disincentives for not voting
    National voting day, with mandatory time off
    Huge requirements for disenfranchisement
    No political advertising by anyone, of any kind
    Two month campaigning window
    Proportional representation (no electoral college)
    No incumbent candidates (longer single terms)

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

declare myself king of the North.
    to the gallows with all of congress & the politicians who supported the P-A/NDAA.
    gut the military industrial complex. make G51989 the hand of the King and just sit back & relax:D

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Correction...Warden of the North.

10. NukeIT macrumors regular

I hope you like Sweet and Sour Pork, because we would definitely be part of The Peoples Republic.

11. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

So instead of shooting wars you plan to start a trade war ??

What would your plan really mean:
    - an end to cheap (imported) goods, prettymuch devaluating the purchasingpower of the $ and ending US consumerism
    - force other countries to also put tariffs on US goods crippling what little the US has in export

Doubtfull wether such a measure would result in plus in employment (may very well go the other way).

Freetrade/globalism are actually good for creating wealth, "we" just suck at distributung that wealth fairly.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

While ending crony capitalism would be a great thing, you might find it rather difficult to get your political career started without "donations" from these mega-corps. Unless of course you're super-rich and have millions of dollars to fund yourself...

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What would you do with all the unemployed soldiers and defense contractor workers?

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

* I'd have Congress pass the line item veto.
    * I'd bring every soldier, sailor, airman and marine back to North America.
    * I'd repurpose our military to defend our borders, rebuild our federal infrastructure and train.
    * Social welfare programs at the federal level would be replaced by work or vocational training programs. If the states wanted to continue them, that would be their option.
    * Washington DC would become a lot less congested as I eliminated all unneeded departments returning those powers to the states.
    * I'd redo the tax code to a very simple math problem. It would be progressive but the bottom rate would be 1%. All would pay something. There would be no schedules, deductions, etc.

* Once I was finished, I'd resign and get a real job.

15. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

16. silentownage001 macrumors regular

They could rebuild the infrastructure. It'll take a long time for them to finish so it would be long-term employment.

17. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I understood the point of the thread to be theoretical. A way to express your ultimate views and see the ultimate views of others. Pretty cool idea, btw.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I see a similar role.

Have them patrol borders, entry points such as harbors and airports, help with disaster relief, wild fires ... as well as rebuilding communities, repairing infrastructure, etc.

Refocus the army away from external warfare to internal security, community outreach and rebuilding.

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

they already did that

----------

Australia, for one, does this. But they require passing grades, which I think you would have to do. But, if a good student could make it all the way to a paid for RN or MD, imagine the impact that would have on UHC: without the expense of school, healthcare workers would not be as expensive.

20. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

It's not a good precedent to have military personnel doing domestic operations. It's a big deal to call out even the national guard for emergency circumstances. And for good reason, occupation works better when the country being occupied isn't your own.

The soldiers' proverb that "it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by six" has recently gained new currency among American troops in Afghanistan. For combat soldiers, its meaning is clear: when in doubt, shoot first and ask questions later. While civilians may find this violent mindset shocking, it's important to recognize that we train our soldiers to, in the words of the U.S. Army's soldier's creed, "engage and destroy the enemies of the United States of America in close combat."

http://www.theatlantic.com/national...lice-work-why-it-can-lead-to-disaster/251380/

Btw, this is another reason it's best to have left rancher guy alone. The price for squashing a protest as an armed insurrection is the loss of unarmed protests as well.

The cool part there is that paying for medical school is getting medical service at a wholesale price vs the retail price we are paying now.

21. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Besides the state that is not in North America, and our territories I hope.

We already did that I think.

Defending borders is good, however rebuilding is not, as troop and personal numbers should be cut by at least 50%. The remaining 50% will need to focus on being in the military. Better to let the ones who will need to be let go get first dibbs on new federal and state project jobs.

I can agree with that, tho we should need federal dollars for SNAP flowing, as some states in the South or Midwest would just let their poor starve. A great idea is training programs.

yes.

Depends on the departments, The EPA for example needs even more teeth, and the ability to override state governments completely.

That would be a good idea.

Being the President isn't a real job? You get pretty bad pay considering the amount of work and stress you have to deal with, and depending on the President, lets say Obama. You get WAY less vacation.

----------

Give them first dibbs on the massive infrastructure programs I suggest.

Military spending and pork is out of control, it needs to stop. Now.

----------

Well, this idea only works if America is a free republic and normal people had voices, but America is not. It is a corporate dictatorship

----------

Huh?

----------

You mean the trade war that China has been waging for 25 years now? Forcing their wages lower, purposely devaluing their currency? Creating tax free zones for American business? Constantly cyber attacking our business and trade secerts then handing it out to their companies? Forcing slave conditions for workers? Y

Good, end the cheap crap coming in, Force business's to build here. Put this country back to manufacturing things.

Ending consumerism? Oh no! No more stampedes of Wal Mart people killing greeters over a TV

Many other countries already have Tarrifs on US goods.

If all this free trade was so awesome, why has the vast majority of America seen its wages stagnate or fall, our bread and butter being outsourced so the board saves slightly for short term profit gains, their jobs outsourced, their wages falling, costs skyrocketing, social mobility decreasing, with a America that is falling apart around them?

Nope, things are so much better now.

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Ans we were agreeing so well. Here's where I differ. I think gutting our military is wrong. Instead, I'd eliminate civilian contractors to the military. Let's think about this. At Fort Lee, VA we train military cooks. Yet, a civilian contractor runs all the dining facilities on base. At Fort Leonardwood, MO we train military police, yet civilians guard the front gate. Every base has civilians running the water treatment plants, power plants, driving the buses, etc. Yet, our military has engineers in these fields and plenty of truck drivers.

23. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

I still am.

? Why is it wrong? Once we pull all our forces back, why do we need such massive amounts of troops and hardware? We could easily cut that massively and still have a crazy strong defense. I do not view the military as some sacred thing that should be immune to cuts, our current Military is WAY to big for our own defense. Most of it is just for protecting corporate interests. ( Like Iraq ) A scaled back military that only does North American and its surrounding territories defense makes WAY more sense for America.

I agree completely with that, there is no need to have civvie contractors running military hardware or bases. It would save money.

However with the cuts I am proposing, there would still be WAY to many people in the military, even if they run everything themselves.

But, I do think the people who would be out of the military even after all that should get first dibbs on border patrol and infrastructure jobs.

24. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'd rather see the service expanded. I'd love to see compulsory service. Other countries have it. Great training for future employees.

25. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Between homeland security, the pentagon, the CIA and FBI and the secret service and the NSA, we already spend over a trillion dollars a year on " military both domestic and aboard " ", its driving us into the poor house, how would you expand it.

Yes, some countries have it? Buyt why should we?

Why should young people be forced at gunpoint to join the military? I would NEVER join the Military, I would be a ****** solider.

Also

[​IMG]

We'd be looking at a 50 million man army, how could we afford that?

People should never be forced into the military unless there is a war that puts the existence of the country at stake.

As far as workers go, 4 guys who work for me used to be in the military, great workers and al lthat, but I would not want ALL of my workers coming from the Military, as much as I respect them, people who spent long times in the military tend to have somewhat narrow black and white thinking, which is good for some positions at my company, but very bad for others.