Taxes and Fees on AT&T (considering switching from Sprint for iPhone 4S)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pilot1226, Dec 30, 2011.

1. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Hi, I had a question about taxes and fees on AT&T. The customer support staff wasn't able to answer my question, so I thought I'd post it here, maybe you can help?

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/additionalcharges/

This shows the cell phone service for your location. For example, the fee I am most interested in is the Federal Universal Service Fund, which is listed at 15.3% for the State of New Jersey.

Now, 15% seems like a lot on a bill that's around $125, we're talking close to $20 in just taxes and fees for the month, then.

I was hoping some of you could post your total bill and the amount that you're paying for the Federal Universal Service Fund which should be in the bill itself.

Right now with Sprint, for example, I pay $110 per month before taxes, with a Federal USF Fee of $2.24 per month. However, Sprint customer support won't tell me how they are determining their fees, they just tell me what they use the money for, so I don't know if Sprint is comparable (also 15.3%) or if they are different based on carriers.

If I upgrade with Sprint when eligible in February, this'll increase my bill by $10 per line per month (a total of $20) because of a new premium data fee that didn't exist when we signed up a few years ago. So, that'll be $130 per month before taxes.

That being said, anyone's welcome to respond regardless of carrier. Just trying to figure out what the bottom line will be if I switched to AT&T... We're looking at around $130 with the AT&T plan as well before taxes.

Both plans are comparable: Sprint offers 1500 minutes, unlimited mobile to any mobile, unlimited texts, and unlimited nights and weekends. Unlimited Data is their huge marketing point. AT&T would offer 700 minutes plus rollover, unlimited mobile to any mobile, unlimited texts, and unlimited nights and weekends. Both iPhones would have the 2 GB Data Plan. We could potentially have a use for the 4 GB Data Plan for Hotspot down the road. Our usage right now is around 100 to 200 minutes per month (the rest of our calling falls into the unlimited categories), and right now on a Blackberry Curve we use around 100-150 MB each.

So, assuming that the taxes aren't 15% and adding $20 per month on my bill for the FUSF, I would consider switching.

Other things to note:
    Activation Fee for each NEW iPhone on Sprint would be $36 (per line)
    Early Termination Fee to LEAVE Sprint before April 10th, 2012 would be $50 per line.
    No activation fee with AT&T due to FAN/Employee Discount

So, it's a difference in $14 per line due to the difference of Early Termination Fee minus the Activation Fees that I wouldn't have to pay.

Thoughts?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That doesn't sound right at all. My last bill, which included an $18 upgrade charge for getting the iPhone 4S, was $116.13, and included a Federal Universal Service charge of $1.44.

Other taxes and fees on my bill:

Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge 0.45
    911 Service Fee 0.90
    NJ State Telecom Tax 5.49

I get a 20% FAN discount through my employer. You might want to check and see if you're eligible for something similar.

My plan is the $39.99 450 minute/1500Night and weekend plan, with $20 for unlimited text/mobile-to-any-mobile (which I may drop because of iMessage), and $45 for the 4GB DataPro plan with tethering.
    Go for it. There simply is no sugar coating how ineffectual Sprint's network is when it comes to the iPhone, compared to AT&T's data speeds and ability to do voice and data simultaneously.

3. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Sent you a PM OP. Check it out, hopefully this helps :D

4. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

Damn, i know Sprint's data speeds are slow but my $60 bill is nice...... :rolleyes:

5. pilot1226 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I guess the 15.3% is up to a certain amount or a certain THING, rather than the bill as a whole. That would be crazy.

Decision time. I'm trying to figure it out. I get a pretty nice FAN Discount through my employer since I'm union, so I'll keep it legit.

6. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

I am located in Illinois. Here is a reflection of my last bill with AT&T

AT&T Family Plan Family 700 minute 2/Rollover
    10% FAN Discount
    4 Lines, All iPhones
    Family Unlimited Messaging and Mobile to Mobile (Any carrier)
    Unlimited Data on all 4 phones

Main Phone
    Plan 60.00
    Messaging 30.00
    Data 30.00
    Regulatory Cost Recovery .43
    Federal Universal Service Fund 2.29
    National Account Discount -13.50
    IL 911 Surcharge .73
    State Tax 9.21

Phones 2-3-4
    Plan 9.99
    Data 30.00
    Regulatory Cost Recovery .43
    Federal Universal Service Fund .46
    National Account Discount -4.50
    IL 911 Surcharge .73
    State Tax 1.20
    Main Phone total $119.16
    Other phones @38.31 ea. $114.93
    Total bill $234.09

The FAN discount seems to negate the Fed Universal Charge. I have no idea what the rate is, but it has to be some percentage, since the charge for the main phone is higher than the other three phones.

7. pilot1226 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Okay.

Called AT&T and Best Buy. Getting the run-around from them. AT&T Premier says that BB can activate me with my FAN for free activation and the 15% monthly discount, and BB says they can't do it and I have to deal with AT&T for it.

I wonder if AT&T Premier will give me a credit after the fact for the activation fees? Granted, I'd be paying an activation fee either with AT&T or with Sprint either way so it means very little in the grand scheme of things.

8. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Yes AT&T will credit you back the activation fees if it's in your FAN agreement. I gave them a call and it took two mins for them to credit me.

9. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

10. pilot1226 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

EDGE data makes me sad.

11. pilot1226 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Just found out today that if I purchase my iPhones through Best Buy in a NJUEZ, they're 3.5% sales tax in an Urban Enterprise Zone - which amounts to around a savings of $45 since you pay tax on the full price. That's pretty cool, saves quite a bit. I guess I could use the difference in price for an OtterBox Commuter!

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

How is this helpful? He wants a certain service. TMO doesn't even provide said service. If they were all that and a bag of chips they would be doing significantly better than they currently are. ATT doesn;t have tens of millions of customers because they are all idiots. They provide a service that people are willing to pay.

13. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

lol

14. beret9987 macrumors regular

I'll probably be only of the only people to say this since I seem to be one out of the few with working Sprint service, but I would give Sprint a call and see what they would be willing to do about your activation fees and such(which for upgrades its usually 18/line if memory serves me correctly, not 36 as you quoted)

If you're at the end of your contract, they're also usually willing to toss some money your way to get you to resign, and they might just let you upgrade now if you're willing.

15. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

I'm also curious if anyone can post what they're paying with taxes on two smartphones under the shared family plan on Sprint - the 1400 min. all unlimited data plan. So far, I've only receive, the first bill with all the prorations and apple care. Does anyone here have this comparable plan and have received their bill and can post their total amount/bill? Thanks.

I already tried viewing my account and Sprint made a huge error. They had one phone with the 1400 plan and the other phone without a plan, so the phone without the plan was being charged .40cent/min. - HUGE BILL! Sprint is taking care of it, but hasn't posted the revised bill.

16. pilot1226, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

pilot1226 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

It's a 1500 Shared Minute plan called Everything Data Family. The plan is $129.99 (plus $10 per smartphone per month) - so if you have 2 iPhones, it's $149.99 per month, prior to taxes and fees and any discounts you might have. I pay around $13 in total fees and taxes per month, and I have the pre-$10 smartphone data surcharge plan, so I pay around $125 a month after a 15% discount. Since your bill is more your taxes are probably slightly higher.

If for some reason we decide to stay with Sprint, I'd probably be paying between $140 and $145 per month after discounts, taxes, and fees.

Sprint service has been fine, it's just a matter of all the information out there suggesting that its data speeds are bad. We're just not sure how likely we are to use 2 GB of data (or more) per month, because our current phones are so old and slow that we don't really use them that often for browsing except when it's absolutely necessary.

17. pilot1226 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Had a lengthy discussion with Sprint Customer Service today. They are doing number of things to keep us as their customer. Will be picking up our new iPhone 4S's on January 18th. I'll be sure to report in shortly after (during my 14-day evaluation period) and let you know about the speed issues. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and input.