Taxi driver goes on murder spree in Cumbria (UK)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niuniu, Jun 2, 2010.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Taxi driver shoots up a number of people, acc/ to PMQs it's 5 people dead but news is reporting 3 dead with around 11 people injured. They've also found a body in the woods now which they reckon might be the taxi driver. Weapon of choice was a shotgun apparently..

Really small peaceful little place, you'd never expect this, there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10216589.stm

[​IMG]

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was following this since it all kicked off. When they reported his death the police hinted that something might have been another incident just before his spree. Everything was quite sketchy though. It's going to be an interesting couple of days.

3. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Yeah likewise.. I thought there was something about him shooting his mother in her home, but I can't see that anywhere at the moment..

4. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

12 confirmed dead and 25 injured. Absolutely shocking. :(

5. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Wow, just saw it myself this guy really went on the massacre. It will be even more maddening for the victim's families now if this turns out to be over a trivial argument with his buddies.

6. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Yeah, the BBC is saying one of the killed was possibly a friend of his who also worked as a taxi driver. There are some real freaks around.. :(

7. iGav macrumors G3

Au contraire, Dunblane, Hungerford... both relatively small places, which taken with the unfortunate and sad events of today would perhaps suggest that you're more likely to be massacred in a smaller town than a city.

Very, very sad all the same though.

8. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

9. ethical macrumors 68000

shotguns are allowed. not the pump action Arnie type...but the hunting type. also hunting rifles are allowed. the laws and rules regarding who can own one are very very strict however.

10. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

You just need a license and they're pretty strict as to who they're given to. Single/Double cartridge shotguns are legal, as are single shot rifles. Almost everything else is banned, except for some handguns for specific purposes.

11. parish macrumors 65816

parish

Which just goes to show that simply banning things doesn't really achieve much. They banned carrying knives too but that hasn't stopped about 30 kids a year being knifed to death in London alone. Plus, Michael Ryan (the Hungerford gunman) was a member of a gun club IIRC so his guns were legally owned.

12. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

No it doesn't..

13. ethical macrumors 68000

The UK haven't banned guns as a collective, they've banned certain types of guns. If he killed those people with a gun that was banned then your point would have some validity...but given the circumstances, you're point is pointless.

14. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

I would argue that this kind of event is a rarity thanks to the gun control in this country. It would seem (although this is subjective because I don't have figures to back it up and extrapolate it for the population difference) that this kind of thing happens more often in America where there is less control.

However it should be pointed out that while the guns used in the afore mentioned rampages were legally owned (as per the law at the time) most gun crime takes place with illegally owned guns albeit it is one-off murders rather than multiples.

But if somebody wants to obtain a gun and carry out this kind of atrocity they will, but I will still argue for gun control because of the overall reduction in instances.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

First off his weapon wasn't banned. Secondly this is the first major gun incident in how long here?

16. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Ok, well I agree with most things that banning them doesn't help --- but in this case it has helped considerably. Imagine how much worse this incident alone would have been if this guy had been running around with an AK-47 or any other automatic weapon. This has been an extremely tragic event, but if the gunman had an automatic weapon I dare say the death count may have been much, much higher.

Your second point is completely irrelevant; while there are too many people killed by knife and gun crime in the UK, most of this is gang and drug related. While the media might not like to admit it, most of these incidents of 'kids being knifed to death' are from kids in gangs. You've got to expect that sort of thing if you're involved in organised crime and other (generally) black working class culture. What the legislation has stopped is many armed robberies, armed attacks and this type of spree. I feel this legislation in particular has been effective.

Granted, the government might claim that knife crime has been stable (instead it is fatalities that have been stable), whereas in reality knife wounds have increased between 100-120%, but this is to do with irrational escalation and a security dilemma amongst those involved in organised crime and gangs. Ordinary people have little to worry about --- unlike say, in the US, where many robberies are committed with a handgun rather than fists.

I personally agree with the gun control; handguns are extremely tightly regulated, as they should be --- they can be concealed too easily. Semi/Automatic weapons are banned, and should be, as they are extremely dangerous, and unlike shotguns and rifles, there really is no legitimate reason to want to own one (other than for collection/target use I suppose). I have a gun license, which I have posted about on this forum before, and while I do not yet have a gun, I am completely satisfied that the hoops I had to go through to get it will stop most freaks and psychos being able to attain one. :)

17. unid macrumors regular

He had a Gun licence for 20 years! link

Pretty good coverage in the independent. I mostly agree with what this psychologist has to say.

18. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

From reading many news articles I get the impression from Derrick Bird's close family and friends that this kind of an event is completely unexpected from Derrick, many of them claiming he wasn't himself that day, saying he is usually a very friendly and happy man "He's the kind of guy that cannot walk past you without saying hello."

There is obviously something that sent him insane – nothing can explain shooting random stranger in the face with a shotgun other than insanity.

I am sure that there are many people like Derrick that, for whatever reason, suddenly turn insane and would like to murder many people. Thankfully, due to our strict laws on guns, the vast majority don't get the opportunity to run rampage.

Guns will never be completely banned but i think we can expect a further tightening on gun laws following this tragedy.

19. ethical macrumors 68000

I completely agree with that too. I definitely think our country has made the right choices with firearms. Unfortunately for some countries, it's too late to change.

This is indeed a very very sad story! Nothing can prepare the families for losing their loved ones this way, and it's made all the worse when the culprit is someone you wouldn't expect.

20. Queso macrumors G4

The randomness of the victims is the truly scary part IMO. People just minding their own business, cycling, walking home from the shops, gardening etc. I know some gun-toting Americans will argue that less firearm restrictions would have resulted in less victims, but even with less restrictions the likelihood of people on the outskirts of a small market town actually carrying weapons whilst gardening, cycling or walking home from the shops is infinitesimally tiny. Brits just don't have the thought of carrying guns in our character. Less gun restrictions would mean more Brits would have them in their homes to counter burglars, but there's a wide gap between that and people suddenly wanting to play the hero when a nutter with a sniper rifle is driving past gunning down innocent victims.

21. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

Because of the lack of guns in society here brits don't expect this to happen and as a result don't feel the need to carry guns. I like that. I'd hate to feel I needed to carry a gun with me.

Just to further your point about heroism. Last year i was walking through my town when a guy snatched a handbag from an old lady right in front of me. I'm a rugby player and my initial reaction was to tackle him to the ground but i stopped myself because i thought what if i broke one of his ribs and what if that rib pierced his lung and he subsequently died? The likely hood of that happening is near impossible but I didn't want to risk having that on my conscience. Thankfully the man ran straight into the hand of a police officer. Likewise i wouldn't be the one putting my life at risk with a guy who is shooting people in the face with a shotgun. Also, i think as the law stands if someone was to shoot Derrick yesterday they would be facing murder and potentially life in prison.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly. It doesn't prove or disprove a thing.

23. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

14 years I believe.

24. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

The real killer here is gun control. If people had access to more firearms, there would have been someone armed to take this nutcase out, before he killed so many. I can only hope that the UK wises up and makes firearms more available to the citizenry.

Many Americans, myself included, carry firearms concealed for those reason.

25. Queso macrumors G4

See post #20.

And the real killer here was Derrick Bird. That's undisputed fact.