Taxpayer pain too much - Cameron

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, May 19, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

I'm not especially supportive of any party, and don't really believe that anyone in power will actually do much good. However at least what he's saying here makes sense.

Enough of new grand projects and schemes, we can't afford them you idiots.

The cost of living here has always been high, but now it really is beyond a joke.

2. sreedy macrumors 6502a

I've always leaned towards favouring the Tories, but isn't this just normal shadow party rhetoric?

If he gets into Power will he do (or be able to do) any of this? Hopefully yes, but I am so far not convinced.... but I expect he'll still get my vote.

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I completely agree. It's all just pandering to what voters want to hear.

Making me believe they'd actually do it if they got in is quite another matter. Which is a real shame <shrug>.

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

If Cameron wants to do something about taxation how about starting with the huge amount of tax evasion going on with large corporations.(yes Mr Murdoch I'm looking at you)

5. Queso macrumors G4

The first thing that should go is the estimated £30bn cost of the ID card program. That ought to pay for a few hospitals, prisons and body armour.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Grand Projects are good if they work and are on budget, otherwise you never move forward as a country.

Damn, is it that expensive :eek:. And its an IT system so the government will have to find a way to screw it up.

The problem is that you risk them leaving if the UK is too expensive. Personally I'd lower corporation tax to 15% (from 30%) and remove the loopholes every year (like a security patch).

7. djellison macrumors 68020

What I find idiotic about the current administration is the concept of 'tax credits'. It seems designed from the outset to be a scheme to intentionally involve the employment of thousands of paper pushers, to look good on paper, but be so convoluted and confusing that it's not claimed by all those entitled.

Quite how any politicians thought that taxing someone, then giving a bit back if they claim it was a good idea I don't know.

Scrap 'tax credits' - increase the income tax personal allowance - job done. You save millions on un-needed civil servants, EVERYONE entitled gets it, at the source, every month. Scrap the ID card plan immediately. Make a decision on the Euro and stick to it.

And after watching the frankly disgusting and unnecessarily convoluted procedures of parliament tonight on BBC Parliament when it comes to voting, some modernization is in order to save an ENORMOUS amount of time, and thus money.

Doug

8. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Cameron is nothing but a talker like Blair, none of the conservative leaders before him like Hague or Howard have had this quality, that's the only reason we take anything he says with even a bit of belief in it.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The decision is eventually to join the Euro, but our economies need to be more aligned and the population needs to be won round.

10. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think that's quite true. His useless predecessors were so bad that they make him look good, even when he's nothing special himself.

Politicians, meh.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If you want to see what tax cutting, done badly, has done, look no further than the U.S., where it's been an abject failure.

If someone wants to argue about using the tax money the government does have more wisely, I'm all for that.