Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saynax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2016
Hi there,

I have a reoccurring issue with my tbMBT2017, whereby the Touch Bar will occasionally turn off and nothing I do brings it to light up again. The only way to get it to work again is to restart the computer.

It happens in macOS and Windows 10. I am not 100% certain what causes it, but I think it usually occurs after the laptop has gone to sleep.

Has anyone experienced something similar or does anyone know whether this is a simple software issue that might be fixed with an update? Alternatively, do you think that I have a faulty device that I should bring in to the Apple store?

Thanks!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hi there,

I have a reoccurring issue with my tbMBT2017, whereby the Touch Bar will occasionally turn off and nothing I do brings it to light up again. The only way to get it to work again is to restart the computer.

It happens in macOS and Windows 10. I am not 100% certain what causes it, but I think it usually occurs after the laptop has gone to sleep.

Has anyone experienced something similar or does anyone know whether this is a simple software issue that might be fixed with an update? Alternatively, do you think that I have a faulty device that I should bring in to the Apple store?

Thanks!

I haven't heard this one before contact apple.

saynax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2016
Hmmm... not what I wanted to hear, but thank you.

Do you think I need to take videos / photos as proof to show them, in case I won't be able to reproduce it in the Apple store?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hmmm... not what I wanted to hear, but thank you.

Do you think I need to take videos / photos as proof to show them, in case I won't be able to reproduce it in the Apple store?

It wouldn’t hurt that’s for sure, I looked around and this issue has been around since the release of the 2016. Can’t find a fix though, try an smc rest and an os reinstall, that may help, or the better touch tool app gives you far more control over your touchbar and may be able to help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.