Tea Party Convention Opens

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Feb 5, 2010.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Link

Can't believe Palin has hitched her wagon to these racists.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Curious as to where the racist remark came from, is it because he is against illegal immigrants (I am too)?

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm not really seeing it here either. I'm also strongly against illegal immigration.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

^^^^The "can't spell vote or say it on english" is pretty xenophobic and subjectively bordering on racist. As is the multicultural remarks.... Neither necessarily have anything to do with illegal immigrants. It's demonising people based on their ability to speak English and hence race.

This is rich given I've a healthy sized folder on my HDD of teabagger signs with hilariously terrible spelling :D!

Haha are they still running with this one :D!

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

This is going to be hilarious in exactly the same way as a San Francisco protest march, and for exactly the same reason.

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Me too. Also think we should change the citizen rules to only allow citizenship for children born of people who are here legally, even if only visiting.

Do you think the racist idea comes from the comment about not being able to read? Or the ITN type insistance on using his middle name?

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Perhaps not racist, but certainly xenophobic. What are they trying to accomplish? I also don't buy their anti-illegal immigration stance. It's really a poorly concealed anti-immigration stance.

And what the heck is so significant about Obama's middle name? William Tecumseh Sherman's middle name is Algonquian, but he had nothing to do with Native Americans as far as I'm aware. It's pure idiocy.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I was just curious whether it was part of this speech that was racist, or whether it was from previous signs etc. I could see the later, the tea party shouldn't have allowed those people to rally with them, the fact that they do is pretty damning.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ah... that is true.

Of course they are- they have nothing else. What I find even funnier is that there's a whole 600 of 'em. Ooooooohhh...I'm scared...:)

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Supporting immigration reform does not require xenophobia. I absolutely support making laws that do what we want, and strictly enforcing the laws we make. My problem is that America's toothless immigration system seems to be kept so intentionally because illegal immigrants form the powerless servant underclass we otherwise lost when we outlawed slavery. Asking who's going to pick your strawberries in 2010 isn't that much different from asking who's going to pick your cotton in 1850.

I am quite confident that isn't what the "Tea Party" has in mind.

11. Zyniker macrumors 6502

A certain percentage of the population still believes in the Rule of Law. It is neither racist nor xenophobic to take a stand against illegal immigration. It is simply an assertion that one believes in the Law and that it should be followed and upheld.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If you count the illegals we take on every year we probably have the highest amount of immigration. Canada is officially the highest.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I can't believe you just compared slavery to people who came here illegally and are free to go back to their native country. :mad:

14. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

[​IMG]

15. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Some think it's an effective strategy to employ the word "racist" to movements that we oppose. I'm not buying the racist angle here.

16. Zyniker macrumors 6502

I can. Logic is irrelevant to many whose beliefs are ideology sans reason or warrant. While there is a valid comparison between wage slavery and actual slavery, they are not the same. Further, it is largely not the domain of the government to eradicate the latter.

17. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

A veneer of freedom that accomplishes the same end as slavery while staying technically on the lawful side of the thirteenth amendment. Anti-abolitionists salved their consciences by speculating how much worse off slaves would have been in Africa as well.

It's certainly less morally offensive than outright slavery, but it falls on the same spectrum of human exploitation.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The "can't spell vote" comment came after he said "we do not have a civics, literacy test before people can vote."

Can you spell Jim Crowe laws? Yep, the 'ol literacy tests that prevented blacks from voting.

No, there's nothing racist about that.

19. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Can we take it you agree with demonising Americans whom can't speak English and that multiculturalism is a negative influence on america that requires "taking back"?

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You are right, in principle. But look at the subtext in the speech linked above: look at the way immigrants are described and characterized.

I strongly support the notion that people should not be able to come here willy-nilly and claim the benefits of citizenship. But FAR too many of the loudest anti-immigration voices are spouting a poorly concealed form of xenophobia. It's there for all to see.

I have never said the system doesn't need reform, I think it is an important issue. But I refuse to stand up and be counted with the wailers and gnashers of teeth who form vigilante parties to shoot Mexicans they find roaming around the border, illegal or not. It's happening. These Tea-Baggers are incendiaries with nothing positive to offer on any issue.

There is such a thing as de facto economic slavery, and there is something to be said for the notion that there are individuals, groups and businesses who benefit from the availability of cheap immigrant labor of dubious legality. I have seen it with my own eyes.

22. Zyniker macrumors 6502

While the aim of the individuals who supported Jim Crow laws was, in large part, racist, that is an irrelevant comparison to the modern day. Education is much more widely available in our era and literacy is nearing 100%. With that in mind, a requirement of literacy is neither racist nor an undue burden on the individual voter.
    To vote in the US, one should be able to read and understand English.

23. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't think it does at all, if I broke the law and entered Canada and had to work under the table, it would be pretty weird for me to consider it slavery.

25. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Illegal immigrants cannot vote legally; that is vastly different from simply "cannot vote."