Tea Party House Leader Sends Bibles To Every Congressman, Urges Them To Use It To Ma

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Not surprising at all. Living in Louisiana, this is how the majority of southerners think. There is no Republican party anymore. It's now the Bible party. Look at the Republican Party of Texas' platform. It's essentially Little House on the Prairie meets the Southern Baptist Convention.

By Bible party, I mean they pick and choose a few scriptures and build a platform of hate and denial off of those passages. I am a Christian. However, I despise the modern day church and the Christian right which in no way resembles the true teachings of the Bible or Jesus.

colourfastt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2009
Not surprising at all. Living in Louisiana, this is how the majority of southerners think. There is no Republican party anymore. It's now the Bible party. Look at the Republican Party of Texas' platform. It's essentially Little House on the Prairie meets the Southern Baptist Convention.

By Bible party, I mean they pick and choose a few scriptures and build a platform of hate and denial off of those passages. I am a Christian. However, I despise the modern day church and the Christian right which in no way resembles the true teachings of the Bible or Jesus.
I also live in Louisiana and it wasn't so bad when the governor was from Louisiana (Edwin Edwards forever!! :D ). But now the asshat we have as governor has decided to turn Louisiana into a copy of Texas, Arkansas, and Mississippi. We're losing our very unique culture.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
If a single cent of taxpayer money went to buy and mail these bibles.

That guy needs put in prison for 20 years.
It says in a letter that they were provided by a citizen.

I would be OK with it if he had sent out copies of the Constitution. Maybe they could read the First and Fourteenth Amendments.
Why those amendments specifically? I would hope they all read the whole thing cover to cover.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I also live in Louisiana and it wasn't so bad when the governor was from Louisiana (Edwin Edwards forever!! :D ). But now the asshat we have as governor has decided to turn Louisiana into a copy of Texas, Arkansas, and Mississippi. We're losing our very unique culture.
Can you clarify? Your current governor was born in your state.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Ah ok, I see it now.
Do you? I see a congressional letterhead, for a letter printed on paper paid for by the government, distributed by staffers who ... you get the idea.

In keeping with Jesus H., he should not get twenty years, he should get 33 years.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Why? There's lots of good stuff in there. Don't get too jaded by how some like to try and interpret it.
There is lots of good stuff in War of the Worlds, and Plato's Republic and Principia Mathematica and Being and Nothingness, what makes the bible somehow more special and useful than any of these?

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
Why? There's lots of good stuff in there. Don't get too jaded by how some like to try and interpret it.
The only stuff that's "good" in there is essentially common sense, and is found in religious texts all over the world.

Nothing good in religion is unique, and nothing unique in religion is good.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
The only stuff that's "good" in there is essentially common sense, and is found in religious texts all over the world.

Nothing good in religion is unique, and nothing unique in religion is good.
We can agree to disagree I suppose.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Do you? I see a congressional letterhead, for a letter printed on paper paid for by the government, distributed by staffers who ... you get the idea.

In keeping with Jesus H., he should not get twenty years, he should get 33 years.
That's because the bleeding heart liberals are opposed to the death penalty.:D Sticking with the Jesus motif...Mark 15:13:eek:

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
That's because the bleeding heart liberals are opposed to the death penalty.:D Sticking with the Jesus motif...Mark 15:13:eek:
You say liberals like it is an insult.

Furthermore this thread is about some stupid asshat deciding that everyone should read the book of hatred(or misinterpret it that way) NOT the death penalty.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Religion is the biggest cancer to the human race and should be eradicated at all costs.

Lawmakers should not be using fairy tale books or beliefs whatsoever to make public policy. If they try to, they should automatically be removed from office as they're clearly breaking their oath to uphold the Constitution and separation of church and state.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
The only " good stuff " in the Bible is common sense found in texts all over the world.

I would be upset if one cent of my tax dollars went to promote that fairytale.

The majority of problems in the world are caused be religion. The less of it, the better.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Why those amendments specifically? I would hope they all read the whole thing cover to cover.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Because the people in question have particular trouble with the entire First Amendment, especially the first phrase, and, with all of Section 1 of the Fourteenth, especially the emphasized part:

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Because the people in question have particular trouble with the entire First Amendment, especially the first phrase, and, with all of Section 1 of the Fourteenth, especially the emphasized part:
I don't recall anyone trying to establish a national religion.

phillytim

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Whew, I thought for a moment we were gonna once again hear about that whack-job, right out of an in-bred rural area horror flick, Ted Cruz.

But then the caffeine came to my senses and I realized that Cruz is a Senator, not a House member.

Thank goodness for the little things in life that matter.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
While I'm not a Christian, I don't see anything wrong with what he did. The truth is the majority of the Congressmen/women are Christians, on both sides of the aisle. His message is very simple. No one is forced to use it. If someone wanted to send a Quran, Book of Mormon or a book on meditation, I'd be equally okay with it. The books were paid for by a third party.

My favorite part is the line at the bottom; "If there is every anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to call me.". This is a young, freshman House Member reaching out to introduce himself to his colleagues. I think that it's been hyped up a bit by the media.

I'd actually like to see more members go out of their way to reach out to all of their colleagues.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Maybe it was a copy of the LOL Cat Bible

Genesis 1:1-3 said:
1 Oh hai. In teh beginnin Ceiling Cat maded teh skiez An da Urfs, but he did not eated dem.
2 Da Urfs no had shapez An haded dark face, An Ceiling Cat rode invisible bike over teh waterz.
3 At start, no has lyte. An Ceiling Cat sayz, i can haz lite? An lite wuz.4 An Ceiling Cat sawed teh lite, to seez stuffs, An splitted teh lite from dark but taht wuz ok cuz kittehs can see in teh dark An not tripz over nethin.5 An Ceiling Cat sayed light Day An dark no Day. It were FURST!!!
http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Genesis_1

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Religion is the biggest cancer to the human race and should be eradicated at all costs.

Lawmakers should not be using fairy tale books or beliefs whatsoever to make public policy. If they try to, they should automatically be removed from office as they're clearly breaking their oath to uphold the Constitution and separation of church and state.
^

Religion: responsible for more deaths worldwide than all crime, disease, natural disasters, drugs, and freak occurrences combined.

I guess that moronic minority whip who penned that idiotic letter never heard the phrase "separation of church and state". :rolleyes: