Tea Party Representative: "We should be censoring the American news agencies"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Dec 14, 2010.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Huh? What's this all about? I thought the teabaggers were all for limited government and the constitution

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/12/14/allen-west-censorship/

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Fivepoint, are these not your fellow small government, strict constitutionalists? Why don't you guys like the first amendment?

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They are for limited government as long as you keep the programs they use, and they are for the constitution as long as you agree with their interpretation.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Glad our elected officials, who swear to uphold the Constitution, are so well versed in it.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It looks like a reaction to news agencies broadcasting the wikileaks findings. But as a general rule censoring the news doesn't fly. Besides when the info is out, ITS OUT!

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Please- no one here should be surprised by this.

7. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

If he actually said that - I'd say he's an idiot and doesn't really know what the Tea Party and limited-government really means/stands-for. I've heard a lot of his other positions, many of which I like, but saying that the government should be censoring new outlets is pathetic and ignorant of the constitution. It's a mistake that has been made over and over through American history though... starting with John Adams' Alien and Sedition Acts.

For another Tea Party take on Wikileaks, see Ron Paul:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/10/ron-paul-wikileaks-defense_n_795014.html

Video of Ron Paul on Wikileaks:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDp1izlMQT0&feature=player_embedded

The way I personally see it, the person who leaked the documents originally, who stole classified material and provided them to wikileaks, should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The subsequent spreading of information via new outlets shouldn't be punished - but rather applauded.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Now i would support forcing the new agency to clean up. Right now they can and do get away with damn near lies. Telling 1/10 truth and if they are wrong they only have to put a retraction printed somewhere VERY VERY small were no one will really read it but the retraction is there.

I am for forcing them to clean up. Huge fines every time they print something incorrect or false, no matter what the source is every repeated re-airing of the false information gets a new fine. You could make that as part of the agreement to for FCC to get airway time. To buy any space from teh FCC requires deep pockets any how so might as well put that as part of the requirement.

For the media to go back to reporting the straight truth instead of these spun damn near close to lieing headlines and sound bits leaving out huge piece of critical information.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Censorship is nearly always a bad thing.

Also dangerous is all the "this person is not a patriot first and foremost". That sounds perilously close to statolotry, something the "founding fathers" most certainly would not have supported.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why are you linking to Ron Paul for Tea Party views? :confused:

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

One guy's opinion is not representative of the Tea Party deal. The Tea Party includes everything from smart folks to idiots, same as any other multi-million-member group. Once you get away from the fundamentals of excess spending and the tax/constitution stuff, you're talking individuals, not the group.

The Wikileaks stuff is way overblown, anyway. I go along with the StratFor commentary. So far as I can tell, Assange is correct that the combat-area leaks haven't caused any deaths. Otherwise, most of the stuff was "Confidential", not "Top Secret" and was mostly already known from other sources. Embarrassment to some relatively minor folks, but the vaarious diplomats probably already knew of the opinions which were expressed in the emails.

Tempest in a teapot, compared to QE2, North Korea or Iran...

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The tea party is little more than the equivalent of pre civil war southerners with a few McCarthy era (There's a Red Under Every Bed!!!) alarmists thrown in for good measure.

They don't support free speech and the thing that surprises me the most is that the government they profess to hate so much, becomes untouchable in regards to military matters and foreign espionage.

Go figure.

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i understand banning time wasting websites etc. but denying US servicemen access to internet news sites which normal citizens can access ? if that doesn't sound like "keeping ideology on course"... and that is seriously disturbing

15. joepunk, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Air Force denying access to news websites agencies is a very bad move imo. Wait, it might be good as service members might buy a newspaper.

It also looks like the a State Department official and alumni of Columbia University sent a message addressing students at the uni. not to discuss Wikileaks on Facebook and Twitter. " Students who will be applying for jobs in the federal government could jeopardize their prospects by posting links to WikiLeaks online, or even by discussing the leaked documents on social networking sites, the official was quoted as saying." A Dean of the uni. has since reversed the university's earlier position, affirming that students "have a right to discuss and debate any information in the public arena...without fear of adverse consequences." LINK

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well when they go looking at your background for security clearances they look at what you post on social networking sites. Passing along classified info (no matter how you got access to it) is a quick way to burn your chances of getting one. Goes even more so if you need higher clearance.

17. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

So many people have that avatar (at least 2 others) I'm getting very confused...

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't know what you're talking about.

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Not to mention the immense hyprocisy many seem to show by wanting to collect medicare benefits with one hand while shaking their fist at the "welfare state" with the other.

The Tea Party goes on and on about how the "wrong" kind of speech should be censored, and the "right" kind should be reported more. If that is not an explicit attack on the freedom and liberty they pretend to be monopolizing than I don't know what it is.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Relax, piano man, it's just another Demi game, in progress. :)

21. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

AP misses the blue knickers, that's all.

22. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

They want to turn the US into a Christian version of Iran.

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

politicians say and do ridiculous things everyday ... to censor the news in America is just not possible

may work in Iran ... but not in America :cool:

24. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Yes it is possible in America if enough of these morons get elected. We elected a bunch of them in November and gave them a majority in the house and are about 4 away from giving them a majority in the Senate.