Tea Party - Time's 'Person of the Year' Runner-Up

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, Dec 15, 2010.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

First of all - the Tea Party lost to Mark Zuckerberg. :rolleyes: Come on!
    Second of all - did the Tea Party deserve to be this high? (remember it's not 'good' or 'bad' it's just 'influential')
    Third - Who/what would you have placed at the top of this list?

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2036683_2037118_2037102,00.html

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Hitler and Stalin were Person of the Year too.....

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's true. Being "person of the year" does not necessarily mean you're a good person, just that you got talked about a lot.

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

But...but...being famous means you are trustworthy!

5. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Was listening to a TIME rep on the radio this morning, they said the person of the year is based on "influence", nothing else, good or bad.

So to answer the op's question, Yes, I certainly agree that the teabaggers should have been in the running/top 10.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Teabaggers were certainly the biggest movement and (in FAUX's case were catapulted) captured the media's attention.

I think Time made the right call here.

Who was the #1 Person of the Year?

Brett Favre, of course.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It'll be interesting to see how quickly the party implodes. Wild, almost hysterical rhetoric does not a party make.

8. mcrain, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

That hissing sound is the air leaving the teaparty now that the incredibly wealthy and GOP political operatives got what they wanted.

Congrats to the REAL grassroots effort that is the tea-party:

9. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

You people should really try reading past the thread headline sometimes. ;)
    I specifically discussed 'influential' as opposed to good or bad in the OP. So, instead of the worthless snarky comments, the group as a whole might have skipped (like citizenzen thankfully) on to an actual discussion of the question posed in the OP... Did the Tea Party deserve to be placed this high (IS IT THAT INFLUENTIAL?) and who would you have placed at the top instead of Zuckerberg/TeaParty?

Holy cow... it's like trying to have a substantive conversation with a bunch of third graders.

10. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

It's similar to seriously discussing the Sexiest Man of the Year.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yep, it's the same. A third of the people disagree with the decision, another third don't care, and the remaining third think it should be them.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

people reading past the head line that is funny.
    It is the fact that most people do not read past the head line is way the media get away with putting out complete BS putting the real truth in some small little paragraph in a 3 page article. Those little piece of information kills the entire article but they make it hard to find.

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well you can always look at their online poll .. in which zuckerberg scored ~20.000 ratings and Julian Assange around ~350.000 with a higher average of points (winning ahead of Erdogan and Lady Gaga)

edit: if you want to know how much it is worth: you have to look no further than the so called 'runner up' Karzai ... the afghanistan puppet has been influential or important this year ?

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

15. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Zuckerberg/facebook took years to get where they are and I also think the movie and Zuckerberg's decision to be one of the few rich to publicly promise to give away a lot of cash influenced Time's editors in their decision.

Wikileaks/Assange has just started out with the leaking of documents rather late in the year so maybe 2011 will be their year. Will probably have to wait for the whole kitten kaboodle to be revealed.

I think of the same thing with the Tea Party. It did not deserve to be 2nd place as It, the movement, is still to new. No one knows if it will survive, if the voters who voted for them will feel like their candidates are going against their campaign promises etc.

16. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

For sure, the people giving this sort of garbage any credence in the first place are brainwashed, plain and simple.

17. 63dot, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

The tea party made news and deserve the attention.

But the tea party is so many things to so many different people. It's kind of a misnomer to really call them an entity outside of it's earliest roots which fought against both parties. By the time the tea party got big, they were just an extra limb of the GOP and one that will get amputated when the GOP thinks they have enough power.

John Boehner is no fool and he will play nice with them but never forget his hard core GOP establishment roots. 60 Minutes even called it right when they called Boehner GOP establishment. You don't try and please a few newcomers and ignore the ones holding the power and the checkbook. It still takes money to get things done in DC, however inefficient and unfair.

Newt's populist Contract for America died a terrible death right after Congress were sworn in and pretty much handed the White House to Clinton in 1996. Had the US followed Newt, I think we would have hit the recession earlier so it's a good thing the Dems won in 1996.

If the Tea Party and it's original premise of fiscally conservative policies with socially liberal policies (Libertarian) becomes a true third party in DC, then I am all for it. In the 1990s, such people were called Blue Dog Democrats and America went from deficit to surplus as Clinton kept a liberal social agenda but courted Wall Street in all the proper ways (unlike W). But I have a feeling by the time we are a few months into 2011, there will be the two parties again, Democrats and Republicans, with no third party in sight.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Now that is a ridiculous discussion.

Who's the sexiest man alive? It might just be me... only I'm not famous, so how is the world supposed to know?

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The tea party was a farce. It is as grassroots an effort as a couple of billionaires could put together. The fact that a group of people were suckered into believing the lies they were told, and became motivated enough to swing a midterm election a little farther than it would have gone anyway, doesn't make it 2nd place in most influential in my mind.

What did they accomplish other than to hand wins to several democrats that were facing certain defeat? They cerainly motivated the base of the GOP party to get out and vote, but that's not the tea party. Is it?

What else did they accomplish? They certainly haven't elected people who are going to do what they campaigned on. So, other than gridlock, they don't deserve credit for much.

So far. Yet.

On the other hand, if they force the GOP into cutting the deficit (ha), responsible tax policy (they go hand in hand), and working with the democrats on spending and tax policy (as opposed to obstructionism), then we'll talk. Personally, I would have waited until the tea party did something other than just run bizarre campaigns.

(edit) Oh, and 63dot, the tea party didnt' make news, the news made the tea party.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Maybe I'm just too old, but for the life of me, I just don't get FB much less Zuckerberg's elevation to POTY. I think it's more about his self-promotion and billionaire status more than anything else. It's early days of course, so we'll see.

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Like all big movements, we're having some difficulty flushing it.

Then why bother posting here? We're obviously a bunch of inept zealots.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Fivepoint had the nerve to call us a bunch of third graders? Well, at least maybe now he knows what it's like to have a conversation with him.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Easy now... let's not go for THREE closed threads in one day. ;)

Can't we all just get along?

(Don't answer that.)

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Fair enough.

25. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I voted for Assange.

Zuckerberg is a very boring choice.