Tea Party vs. Reasonable Behavior

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Tea Party Leader tries to take Gun onto Airplane

Mark J. Meckler, a Tea Party Patriots cofounder, thought that his carry permit would allow him to bring a 9mm semi-automatic pistol and 19 rounds of ammunition onto a commercial flight. Apparently he needs it because he gets a lot of threats. He was arrested at LaGuardia.

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Facepalm. What the United States needs is a good dose of common sense and mandatory philosophy classes to learn to actually think.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Now there are excellent ideas!

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Who the hell are the tea party partiots?

5. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Well, we've learned that the Tea Party was a non-starter. So, I assume the Tea Party Patriots don't actually exist. But if the Tea Party Patriots do exist, then they must be very ineffectual.

See? If they exist, then it proves that they don't exist, and if they don't, then they do.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'd never heard of him. :confused:

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

and you're proud of it too I bet :p

8. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

The "Tea Party" is somewhat schismatic, which it should be, being "grass roots". One faction is Tea Party Patriots, another is Tea Party USA, I think there are a few more. They all get along about as well as the Judean People's Front does with the People's Front of Judea.

Just because they are all kochfiends does not make them all of one mind. When you see one of those banner ads on a thread where the logo is a blue shield with stars on the right half and a red and white banner across, that is Tea Party Patriots.

9. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

He wasn't aware of New York State laws regarding handgun permits. And New York State apparently has much more stringent laws about that than other states. From that perspective, I can see this as an honest mistake. I also suspect he'll get the absolute minimum punishment.

On the other hand, if you're going to carry a weapon, that sort of thing is something that one should really research. The second amendment doesn't absolve anyone of the responsibility of owning a gun.

10. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

As if he wasn't aware about the fact that since 2001, there is a general fear of terrorists inside planes, and that security has been reinforced in airports in order to prevent guns from being smuggled inside airplanes.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

12. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Pressurized environments don't react well to bullets.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's the french subgroup:D

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, most of us have seen Goldfinger, and Outland. ;)

15. Eraserhead, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You've never been allowed guns on planes and even before 9/11 surely they had metal detectors and X-ray machines which would trivially find a gun.

And if you haven't ever flown before surely you'd ask what you were allowed to carry on board - especially as its well known there are controls on what you can take on a plane.

Even if you got as far as security without checking your gun when you got caught I'm sure if you don't act like a jackass you won't get arrested and could then check your gun in or not fly.

Even if you only noticed when you got to the security queue you'd have thought the questioning of people in the queue about whether they had bottles of water would make it pretty obvious that a gun was the sort of thing that you weren't going to be allowed to take on the plane.

Well quite.

16. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

While I fully support the right of private citizens to keep and bear arms, I also believe in some some reasonable qualifications... like excluding idiots from gun ownership.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

He's not exactly setting a good example.

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Apparently he has never heard of the laws that any airspace over a state is regulated by the FAA. So when he hops on a plane he is subject to those regulations no matter what state he is in. And my opinion is the state he was in was called stupidia.

19. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Outland. Such a tragically underrated classic. It has quite an Alien/Ridley Scott feel to it.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They're members of the tea party who favor New England in the playoffs.;)

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Next time, spend your time watching myth busters... (Yes, those movies were fun...)

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I wonder what would have happened if he had been black?

41 bullets maybe?

23. kavika411, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I wonder what would happen if you didn't race bait?

24. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Well, for one thing we'd need to change the thread title to "Black People vs. Reasonable Behavior", to get the generalization correct.

25. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm guessing a member of the boogyman group, the "new black panthers" getting on a plane with a loaded gun might be a bigger deal.

I'm also guessing a guy with a beard and an arabic robe with a gun might raise some eyebrows too.

A white, middle aged school teacher may have raised fewer eyebrows.

It isn't race baiting to ask if there is a racial component to the treatment people receive.