Tea Party Wants Slavery Removed From School Textbooks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Jan 30, 2012.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/0...textbooks-to-make-founding-fathers-look-good/

As if the Tea Party hasn’t butchered American history enough since their creation, the Tea Party in Tennessee is demanding the immediate removal of any mention of slavery as it applies to the Founding Fathers because they want schools clean up their image and teach students “the truth about America.” Tennessee now wants to join Texas in changing American history as it is presented in textbooks and how it is taught by teachers in school.

Multiple Tea Party members, including lead spokesman Hal Rounds, say they want the state legislature to force teachers to teach history in the way they see it. In other words, they want to re-write history to exclude the fact that the Founding Fathers owned slaves, because according to The Memphis Commercial Appeal, the group wants to address “an awful lot of made-up criticism about, for instance, the founders intruding on the Indians or having slaves or being hypocrites in one way or another.”

The group wants to change textbook selection criteria to say that “No portrayal of minority experience in the history which actually occurred shall obscure the experience or contributions of the Founding Fathers, or the majority of citizens, including those who reached positions of leadership.” It’s a fancy way of saying let’s take the role of minorities out of our American history textbooks so our past leaders will look good.

The Tea Party wants to whitewash American history as if the Founding Fathers were perfect in everything they ever did, which simply isn’t true. The Founding Fathers were great men but they had flaws. They owned slaves, they allowed slavery to be legal and yes, they did that despite hypocritically writing that all men are created equal. They also took part in the removal of Native Americans from their homelands, an action that resulted in the deaths of thousands. This information is well documented and acknowledged by professional historians and should not be censored. Students have the right to learn the entire truth about our history and not just the parts that conservatives want them to learn. Hiding knowledge is tantamount to lying and that’s what the Tea Party wants our teachers to do.

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

That isn't very surprising ;) Populism works because those who are receptive to it don't think past themselves. If a party promises to decrease tax, they will say "Good! More money in my pocket!", but if you think about it, it means less money to the state to offer public services. You need comprehension of the system to be resistant to such tactics.

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

4. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Don't be racist to the shotgun pointing at your face, it only wants to be loved. :D

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Finally, as solution for those troubled by the saying

Just remove the past from the text books, and let that there learnin' continue.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Who they actually were:

[​IMG]

What the Tea Party sees:

[​IMG]

7. thekev, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Old dead guys now require a PR firm right :rolleyes:? Why not try to learn about people from a previous era as they were rather than interpreting them through a much different cultural paradigm. Textbooks already gloss over way too many events. I'd hate to see it become even worse. This is one of the reasons history classes can be incredibly boring, even if the actual events are interesting. Kids realize they're being fed a line of crap from the adults.

[​IMG]

Your comment just set this up too well. I couldn't resist.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You stole my thunder. I was going to say that next the tea people will be characterizing the founding fathers as superheroes.

I'm sorry, but there's no other way to ask this question: when your party has moved to the extreme right and is demonizing foreigners, broadcasting your own version of reality and now starting to rewrite history, aren't you pretty much positioning yourself to form your very own Reich?

9. *LTD*, Jan 30, 2012

*LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

What? :confused:

Is this actually under consideration? I've seen extremism from the far-right wingers - years ago and today especially. But this . . . I don't know what to say.

If this is actually happening, and if these directives come to pass, this is the first step. To you-know-what.

----------

That's where I was going. But I didn't want to say it.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And no one thought it could happen here. I'll post this one time:

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Holy crap.....:eek:

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And the Tea Party sinks even lower. It seems like they are trying to sink so low that they start going up as they passed threw the center of the earth.

Also another thing to look at is we are supposed to learn from our history. If the history becomes false what will we learn from it. I can see in the future arguing with people who said the founding fathers did not own slaves because that is what their history book said.

13. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Funny thing is, that is basically what we were taught when I was in school, several decades back. Seems like there was not much history after about 5th or 6th grade, except for one class one year in HS, so we learned all the idyllic stuff ("I cannot tell a lie, I chopped it down") and barely lip service to the seamier side of things.

TBH, it is a real disservice to teach that way, not to mention shooting yourself in the foot. When a young person discovers the human reality that has been hid away all those years, then they start to not trust anything they were taught.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They never go into anything disturbing on Abraham Lincoln. Until high school it's just glossed over as freed the slaves woo!. They never go into much truth on the history of Thanksgiving or how the Native Americans were treated. History books are already ridiculously bad. When I was 10 I could I tell I was reading a fairytale in these idiotic textbooks, and it made the subject much less interesting. You can learn a lot more from historical events if they're represented with the best accuracy possible rather than biased toward national pride. This just makes me angry.

15. bradl, Jan 30, 2012

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Once again, bringing in the Freedmen issue, I hope this spreads to Oklahoma. I seriously do. Already, this is absolute bollocks that the Lipton Looneys can't deal with the shame their forefathers had bestowed (lack of a better term) onto them, regardless of what they wrote or not (prime example: Jefferson/Hemmings affair).. but to stoop as low as to rewrite history so they can make their ancestors (and therefore, them) look better is absolutely pathetic. But it isn't as if you could expect anything RIGHT (read: just) from them.

But I hope this attitude takes root in Oklahoma. I really hope it does, as it will open up the floodgates for what the so-called "Five Civilized Tribes" also have to answer for. There is a good 150 years worth of answering for this.

Please don't think that they were just treated poorly. Some were, but they were also playing both sides of that game. While they were playing the victim, they were also adopting the very customs they were complaining about in being treated poorly, such as slavery and racial discrimination. Have a read of those Five Civilized Tribes: Choctaw, Chickasaw, Muskogee (Creek), Seminole, and Cherokee. You'll see just how 'poorly treated' they were, and how they equally treated their own slaves as poorly, if not worse.

BL.

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I like a good read, and I'll check that out (although to be fair there were other tribes as well). I just really hate censorship in textbooks. It kills the learning experience and turns something interesting into another boring subject.

17. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

Sounds a lot like what North Korea tries to do.

Maybe tea partiers want to erase traces of flaws from our founding fathers to show they were perfect like gods, some sort of new divine rights IE: Our country was founded by men blessed by god so therefore our country has divine rights from god, to be the greatest on earth. :rolleyes:

18. Happybunny, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

You can always tell when a group is bankrupt of ideas, they try to rewrite the past.:cool:

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, I'm glad to hear other people had the same thoughts I did. I thought for sure I was gonna get blasted for Godwinning this thread.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Rich people.from other countries had slaves also. Slavery wasn't invented in America, yet its the only country of focus when you hear "slavery". Textbooks gloss over many things that don't outrage liberals, yet the founding fathers having slaves (like pretty much everyone else) is pertinent information.

21. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

We were taught about the slave trade in the UK. I think that it is pertinent to know about it along with world war 2 and the holocaust (which I'm sure the TPers would want children to learn about).

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Well, when a history book has a chapter about slavery, I think it is important to note that slavery was not invented here and that it was common at the time of our nation's founding, and in fact, many of our founding fathers had slaves. The chapter then can go on into the importing of slaves, the difference of opinions and why between the north and the south, and then the eventual civil war. That could be followed up by the civil rights movement, and on to modern day events. It doesn't need a lot of attention, but to ignore it is silly.

What "stuff" is being "glossed over" that republicans/anyone wants in that you would like liberals to also be upset about?

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I have no problem with what you stated above. I just don't agree with pointing out one country when thousands of years of slavery predates it.

Some of the issues were already pointed out. The portrayal of the past of minority groups mainly, Abe Lincoln isn't portrayed properly at all, you would think he was out.kissing black babies at the time. Do we focus on what they did wrong or what they did right? Only so many pages.

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Slavery is relevant here because it was instrumental in the success of the US as a nation and center to one of its most tragic conflicts. I think all historical figures need to be shown in their true light whilst keeping a mind on the norms of the time (just about all wealthy white men in the US had slaves in the late 18th century).