Tea Party Watch- This is Who You'd Vote For?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Huntn, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm about to subscribe to The Hightower Lowdown a newsletter byJim Hightower that calls conservatives out. If not familiar and you want to read a fresh voice, take a look. The entire newsletter is readable at the previous link.

In the September 2011 newsletter he goes after the Tea Party. It's wonderful. And before you reject it off hand, actually read what he is saying. It might rile you. Or you can report back how it is all lies. You know who you are.

I have to ask, is this what you want running our government??

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The Tea Party is full of neoconservatives. As such, they have a patchwork, atheoretical basis, and their policies have little, if any internal consistency. Their clamoring about founders' intent is a cover for a neoconservative social mission, and as such, they have little understanding of American or international history. They have few, if any, values that could be called classically conservative, and they are certainly not libertarians.

Am I pretty much up to speed?

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

One of the biggest points is that it originally started as a grass roots populist movement and has been hijacked by political/corporate/ultra-conservative/anti-regulation/anti-environment/anti-government forces.

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

It's a shame Fivepoint isn't here to tell you how wrong you are. The tea party movement is made up of true libertarians, don'tchaknow? You betcha!

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Jim Hightower is a treasure. Always fiery and entertaining to read...and I love it when he throws in little items like the "crowd" at Jim DeMint's speech. :D

[​IMG]
    photo by daveweigel1981, on Flickr

I'm at a loss as to how to comprehend the poverTea Party anymore. We've always had angry fringe kooks espousing crazy ideas, but until now they've been unelectable.

The most obvious explanation for this is that either the voters got stupid or the kooks got smart. I guess I lean towards the latter. Their supporters have built up an entire media industry dedicated to "legitimizing" these cranks, and if it were not for that, I still don't think anyone would be paying any attention to them.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

They also got more organized. By the turn of the 21st century, the Internet reached critical mass, offering the opportunity and the means for virtually anyone to more easily organize, inform, attract, hone, and maintain followers "of a like mind" in ways that propagandists of earlier times could only dream of.

7. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I vote for a combination of both the former and the latter. On a recent trip to Boston, I read something etched into the main library's facade:

THE COMMONWEALTH REQUIRES THE EDUCATION OF THE PEOPLE AS THE SAFEGUARD OF ORDER AND LIBERTY

As an educator, I can say that critical thinking is in short supply among university students whose prime goal is bettering their minds. Critical thinking among the populous, at least regarding politics, has given way to those who voluntarily listen to Pravda (Faux News) or those that seek out unbiased news reporting which is then bashed for having a liberal agenda. I agree that cretins have taken advantage of this situation for their own gain, but I think the decline of the educational system and the democratization of intelligence brought on by the internet bear responsibility as well.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thank you for this ^^^ :)

So well said. Everything I wanted to say, but so much better than I could have said it! :eek::D

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the thoughts and the pic! :D My impression is the problem with many Tea Party types is that they are mad, they want to protest something, anything, and as usual the GOPpers are experts at tapping this anger. Too bad the mad ones aren't smart enough to know the GOPpers have no personal interest in them unless they have a net wealth of $1M or preferably more...

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We went to see Michael Sandel of Harvard talk at a small local school, GVSU this week and were forced to leave more plainly aware of this. It's frightening to see how non-critical some students are and how little differentiation they make between "I want this to be so" and "it's reasonable that this is so."

On the other hand I'm less than impressed with the outcomes from college courses like his in terms of actually changing this. I think figuring out how to turn this around should be a high "nation building" priority.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I've noted this before, but it bears repeating -- it is dismaying how many times you run across tea people who say things like, "I was never involved in politics before, but when I heard that..." ...followed by the mindless recital of some scare tactic or outright baloney dreamed up by FreedomWorks and propagated by Fox, Limbaugh & company.

So yes, these cynical right wing leaders are taking angry, naive Americans and encouraging them to vote against their own interests. Again, at the risk of being repetitious, it's described in detail in Thomas Frank's book.

It's never a bad idea to teach critical thinking skills in school. But if you think about it, the big problem really isn't kids coming out of school unable to recognize ************ when they hear it; it's that somewhere in their adulthood they seem to lose this skill. Maybe it just goes back to that steady, relentless drumbeat of lies that emanates from the right wing media. You know what they say about if you repeat a lie often enough.

Thomas Jefferson said that "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.... When the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government; that, whenever things go so far wrong as to attract their notice, they may be relied on to set them right." Hence the necessity for the right wing to keep people in a constant state of disinformation.

Of course, it 5P were here, he'd argue that I was misquoting or misinterpreting his patron saint. :rolleyes:

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Which is why I think Obama and the left needs to keep repeating things just as often. Too many times Democrats seem to stay quiet and let the GOP have the narrative. They seem to be getting a little more vocal now. But it should have been that way all along.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

John Kerry found that out the hard way. When they were swiftboating him, his advisors kept saying, "Don't dignify it with a response. You'll just give them credibility." It wasn't until he fired said advisors and started firing back that his poll numbers went back up, but sadly, it was too late by then.