Teacher Allegedly Fired For Getting Gay Marriage License

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by EvilQueen, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Ummm....."my" agenda of hate?:confused:

Please explain.

----------

Actually in this case, there are none. That's why I said this wasn't the way to do it.

5. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Please explain.

6. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

His contract, that he signed and admitted to knowing about, specifically disallowed it.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Employment contracts forbid all sorts of things which are never enforced (usually because they are unenforcible).

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Just your average hypocrisy in the name of religion. Meanwhile all other actions that they consider to be sin, are basically ignored. Like some of the commentary on that links mentions ...... What about those who divorce, commit adultery, have chrilden out of wedlock? It's a shame that a child molester has a better chance at getting/keeping a job as a teacher or staying as a priest than someone who's gay.

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

10. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Just because some companies don't enforce them doesn't mean all will not.

Amazes me how many people sign contracts to get something they want and then are shocked when the terms of the contract are expected to be met.

----------

My agenda is to be treated as a human.

----------

Pffff.....what country are you living in where a child molester can be a teacher?

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

While I agree that he should have read further into the contract before signing it, it is just as hypocritical as having the political right say that they want the government out of their lives, then put something like this INTO the teacher's contract.

You can't have it both ways.

Currently in 34 states, Moyank and others are not treated as a human; in fact, just as this law shows, they are still being treated as a second class citizen. They should NOT be denied the same rights that you or I have. That is akin to being treated LESS of a human.

Straw man. Child molesters are prohibited by law from teaching; not from a teacher's contract.

BL.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Unless what he did was either illegal or broke some sort of "honor code" he agreed to abide by, his termination was wrong, IMO.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is why we need the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.

14. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

You CAN have it both ways. The contract he signed. It is a religious private school. There are companies that have contracts for their employees that do not allow them to smoke. If they want the job, they sign the contract and agree to abide by the rules. They don't have to sign the contract or take employment with the place if they don't want to abide by the rules in the contract.

I disagree that anyone is being treated as a second class citizen. There was a contract, he signed it.

It's not a "right" to be gay and be able to work in a private, catholic school. So no rights are being taken away.

And don't assume you know anything about me or what rights I have or do not have. I already said how I feel about the "right" to marriage but don't assume you know anything further about me based on that.

:confused::confused: That's the silliest thing you have typed in a while.

----------

He broke the contract that he signed.

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Can you expand on what you mean by your agenda in connection with your OP? I feel like you're being cryptic.

I'm not sure even honor codes are really enforceable, but I agree.

Assuming that this is actually in the contract, rather than under some vague "moral" clause, I would argue that this isn't a right you can give away.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It's well known that many schools don't do a thorough background checks and sometimes hire and allow convicted sex offenders to teach before the background results even come in. Many sex offenders apply for teaching jobs in others states from where they were convicted from, and background checks never picks up on it. Also there have been issues that previously convicted teachers could not get fired right away and/or without a fight because of the teacher's union.

Just Google it. I would search and post links if I wasn't typing from my phone.

17. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course you can give it away. People give "rights" away all the time to get what they want. Sports teams frequently have contracts that forbid them from doing dangerous things while in the off season. Tech companies forbid employees from moonlighting for other companies. There are lots of times employees are disallowed from doing things. 2 local companies do now allow employees to bring cell phones in the building.

----------

Source is needed.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Planet Earth.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How in the world does a CORPORATION ("a person") think they can enforce a contract that restricts my personal freedom? On what leg do they have to stand? My personal life has nothing to do with my work life, so why does a corporation think this has any legal standing?

I'll tell you why, CORPORATIONS are "people" ONLY when it can benefit them in court, and not "people" when things go wrong and they, arguing they are not "people" can get out of trouble.

Why in the world do we continue to accept a model that gives Business more rights (or in reality, the ability to adhere to the laws they want to, at worst just having to "pay to play") than living, berating, dying people?

20. samiwas macrumors 65816

I don't see anything about rules in a contract that he signed. The only thing I could find was on a link from your link that said that he believes he was fired based on a "teachers' code of conduct" in which it says teachers are "expected" to "uphold the lifestyles" compatible with the "moral teaching" of the RCC.

Maybe that's concrete contractual language to you, but that sounds more like "Hey, it would be nice if you could be like this" to me.

With his background and experience, and the kind words from students there, I'm sure he can find a job at a school which will appreciate his service without trying to control his life. Because that's what religion does…try to control you.

If I were him, I'd say "Good riddance, eff you" and I'd walk out the door. I have no patience for much of this religious tripe.

You don't have to feel like the OP is being cryptic. The OP is being cryptic. It's the way most of them are. It's how they can spew their beliefs without coming outright and saying it. Still hasn't said what the agenda is short of "being treated like a human". And if you read most of this person's posts, they are all cryptic.

I don't ever plan on employing anyone, but it will be fun if I could ban all religious talk, thought, or action in my workplace and fire people for even thinking about it. Then watch them cry about it.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

But you can't! Religious rights are enshrined in the constitution. But HUMAN rights? You know, food, water, shelter, adequate healthcare in the richest nation the world has ever known, **** em! No one needs those luxuries if they are good ole "up by the bootstraps the system ensures aren't there" red white and clue 'Murican!

;)

22. dec. Suspended

dec.

The way I have decrypted the OP so far is that she* is gay or bi but takes on conservative standpoints, without explicitly mentioning the first part. I could be totally wrong, but to me it appears as if she is trying to pull off a "you are all bigots" scheme or something similar.... But then my decryptional abilities aren't that great to begin with..

*or - to add another twist - "he"..

23. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I don't think there are many people who consider any of the things listed to be an intrinsic part of who they are. Even if in practice they are they aren't projected as such. That makes them easier to forgive and move on from.

[ on reflection maybe having kids out of wedlock would be in the same category]

24. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Like "Jews for Jesus"? Or maybe Dave Chapelle's Black White Supremacist?

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

No, they can't.

And You totally missed the first part of my post where I stated that the teacher should have read his contract in further detail and refused to have signed it if any part of it interfered in his personal life. And something like this stipulation in his contract is and should be unenforceable because they should not have any say in what he does in his personal life that does not interfere in his work.

In this instance, their freedom to practice their religion interferes with his rights to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. They are in conflict, and the religion should not be paramount over his life; they don't run his life; HE DOES.

The statement was that your "agenda is to be treated as a human".

Moyank and others can't enjoy the same human rights that you can in 34 States in this country. Nor can this person. Regardless of where this work took place, the state that this took place in does not grant him nor Moyank the same rights that you or I have. That is wrong, and needs to be corrected. So yes, his rights are were taken away, as PA passed a gay marriage ban that stripped him of his right to marry.

Thankfully, SCOTUS is of far wiser minds than you and agreed to take the case that challenges PA's ban on gay marriage. Hopefully they will rule in the way that would make him be treated more on the level of humanity of you and I; something he should have had all along.

You've already stated in other threads in this forum that you are heterosexual and that your significant other is male. With that alone, you already have the right to marry. This person, as well as others here, don't. No assumption required, as you've already provided that yourself.

Erin's Law may disagree with you.

BL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.