Teacher fired for refusing to use transgender student's preferred pronouns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 10, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/tea...er-students-preferred-pronouns-153607960.html
    interesting, will this one make it to court?

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I hope so. Nowhere in any bible does it mention the use of pronouns or the transgendered. Hateful people need to stop using Christianity as some kind of shield.

3. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I’m sure he wasn’t just being a dick about it, I mean that’s not a common trait amongst those who decry “worldviews being forced on them”...

/s

4. IdentityCrisis Suspended

Sadly, even though my brothers kids have issues related to this, I will only call a person with what they were born with even if they are screwed up in the head.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

can't help notice the contrast from your post to your user name :p

anyways, what is the issue with calling someone what they prefer?

6. AlliFlowers, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2018

AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

How do you know what they were born with?

7. IdentityCrisis Suspended

Right. lol.

What they prefer is not what they were born with.

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I prefer to be called Juan, but most women call me "Stalker/ creepy midget/ how did you get in my room/ who are you?" and a host of other names.......:(

9. IdentityCrisis Suspended

https://quillette.com/2018/12/09/a-...7d5kQWSQxvztisi8YblBq3LWJi5Hg2OlpHXJcLRhyrqFU

Samuel Veissière, anthropologist and professor of Psychiatry at McGill University, has written a tremendous piece on a dire topic. This is a worthwhile read for parents of troubled teens in the midst of identity confusion. From the article:

"Moving too quickly in letting teens in distress make drastic decisions that can permanently alter their body and harm their personal and social adjustment is unproblematically recognized as unwise in other domains."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/...LZct3NCwA9bn_HFG2oTeMggMIejp491L1asLr4pzlR7YI

The author refers to his previous article, in which he states a point from the researcher's study which incited flames:

"Littman (the researcher discussed by the author -RZ) hypothesizes that ROGD can be cast as a maladaptive coping mechanism for other underlying mental health issues such as trauma or social maladjustment, but also for other exceptional traits like high IQ and giftedness. The peer support, prestige, and identity leveraged by the youth who proudly come out as trans certainly appears to be protective in their circles."

In other words, pre-existing psychological issues with such teens are common, but those in the TG movement are protective of their agenda in the face of truth. That truth, if acknowledged and allowed to be discussed widely and compassionately in public, might actually be of greater help to those with GD than pushing them toward irreversible surgical and pharmacological modifications which only hide genetic reality.

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

There is no "pushing" going on. There is no "movement." And since you were willing to find this study, you will notice that there are more studies pointing the other way.

11. IdentityCrisis Suspended

Since I have family that lives with it, we see it first hand. Sorry.

12. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Just as I'm not for homosexual conversion therapy, I wouldn't be for pushing someone into a gender role. The best thing to do with the person is try to understand why they feel that way and let them know that their personal identity is much more than just sexual preference/or gender association.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 10, 2018 ---
    But aren't you just providing the counter push? I hope you are at least listening to the kid.

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Sounds like the teacher didn’t do their job to me. In this situation you do what is right to make the person in your care as comfortable as possible. They are there to teach and be supportive. Teaching wasn’t for them but at least they now know.

14. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Ah yes, the little-known 11th commandment:
    When speaking in one of the non-gender neutral languages like English, thou shalt only use the gendered pronoun that thy subject was born with.

15. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

So effectively the teacher was bullying the student with name calling? Yep sounds like pretty reasonable grounds for dismissal IMO.

16. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I’m not sure why it’s such a big deal to call people what they want to be called. Even if you don’t agree with the person’s choices in life I’m not sure why people get so wrapped up with this.

17. IdentityCrisis Suspended

Since it's my brothers kids, I leave that up to him. But I know he is stressing out with it. 2 of the 3 girls don't know what they are pretty much other than saying they are gay.

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

of course he is stressed out about it, they are his kids and they are still facing plenty of discrimination :(

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Ok then, how about you leave the pro-nouns out of talking to/about them? And if they talk to you about stuff just listen. Your insistence to call them what you want to call them will not make anything better.

20. IdentityCrisis Suspended

Okay, but I still believe in what way God wanted us, and that is what we were born with. I'll never change my mind on that.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

Sounds like a reasonable request. Further requested with a civil 1:1 meeting. To which the teacher decided that it didn't matter what the student or parent wanted, and that he was going to bring religion into the classroom as a defense.

Would it be OK for the student to refer to the teacher with whatever gender they preferred to call the teacher? Or would that lead to detention/suspension. I suspect it would.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

well, the kids were born with the mind telling them otherwise as well, you can thank God for that........ best way to support family is to be there for them as this is not easy by any means.

23. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

I think on the whole the whole pronoun thing is incredibly stupid. But I mean seriously... If you have a student that would prefer to be called she/her... Just do it, it's not hurting anyone. If I knew someone and they told me they wanted to be called she/her I wouldn't go out of my way to call them the opposite, that's just looking for problems. If you accidentally call them the wrong pronoun, apologize and move on. To lose your job over this is just dumb.

24. Solver macrumors 6502a

My niece liked being called “Your majesty.” We addressed her by that title. Though, I don’t think my brother would have ejected me out of his house if I didn’t use those words.

25. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

Siri calls me Supreme Commander, and I am fine with that...