Teacher hands out gender-identity graphic to explain preferred title

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:36 AM.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teacher-hands-gender-identity-graphic-172418423.html
    how many genders in humans does science recognize?
    wonder if the teacher is going to sue since the principal stopped him. MX? is that for Mexican since the teacher appears to have a Hispanic name?

2. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

3. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Denair is a hillbilly town, so not surprised by the first reported response.

4. Mousse macrumors 68020

Mousse

Mr, Miss, Mrs, Ms, Mxo_O...I skirt the issue by calling everyone, "Big Dog." Greet my son? "Hey, Big Dawg." My wife. "Hi, Big Dog." My daughter, "What up, Big Dog." My Boss, "I'll get on it right away, Big Dog."

5. Solver macrumors 6502a

It makes as much sense as handing out Penthouse magazine graphics to explain gender identity to children.
    Still, it should be the parents choice, not politicians or liberal studies party activists.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I think they should hand them out in the communication folders for the parents, most specifically the dad.

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

You mean this one?
    [​IMG]
    I don't know how many genders science recognize.. not that such a question is genuine but we all know that 'sex assigned at birth' (in reference to the above picture) is neither binary nor is the chromosome route to the assignment are binary.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Oh well, they added the "Other" line to a nice colored graphic with a unicorn. I must accept it then.

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Common you're not that dense. :rolleyes: You don't have to accept it as part of your identity, just consider the possibility that others may have one or more different expressions, preferences or feelings that are part of their identity.

BTW I think this graphic is just fine to show 7th and 8th graders.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Ask my wife...….

Look, for all I care you can call yourself Napoleon and believe that you're a unicorn. I truly do not care.
    However, I start being a little nervous when I see that a person, esp. a famous one, says something about 3yr old trans and he almost loses his job and gets mobbed. And I get very nervous when I see a fat Canadian dude pretending to be a woman shutting down a woman owned beauty salon because they don't want to bikini wax his balls the same way women's pubic hair are.

11. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

12. Raid, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:40 AM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 11:54 AM

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well no need to get nervous even if they are "pretending" to feel the way they feel. Unless you're wife is looking to getting you waxed in a similar manner. ;)
    I got to admit I haven't heard about the case, but a quick google had a great line from The Toronto Sun (which is odd in it's own right with it's conservative leaning, 3rd grade reading comprehension level)
    I like that argument... maybe there's a little more 'stretch' in the 'pulling' of the wax strip.... but this line of thought has me crossing my legs.

So as far as we care it's the nature of the argument behind the refusal of service. Not about the identity of the person being served.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:43 AM ---
    Well I have seen some white Prius models so there's one similar brand expression, but not many others. Perhaps the Ram 4x4 is waiting for transmission and engine reassignment?

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why are people so hot and bothered by this?

14. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I am all for people feeling how they want to feel, I just don't think it should be forced on others to adjust to the many possible combinations of how one identifies.

It is even hard for the people that actually support this stuff:

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Bothered by women being forced to wax balls?

16. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Why are people so hot and bothered at Trump :) ?

It's because of an expression of ideas that they don't agree with.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:07 AM ---
    Only if it's on a wedding cake :).

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

See that would be a good business slogan. "We bake cakes and wax balls". It's very welcoming.

18. Raid, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 11:59 AM

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

There are as many reasons as there are options in the realm of gender expression and identity. :D
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:58 AM ---
    There's a big difference between some person who feels to be different than the binary choices most people make about gender/sexual expression/attraction and some guy reversing policies and agreements affecting domestic and international spheres because that's the way he wants it. :p
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 at 12:00 PM ---
    Uh... I'm just here for the cake....

19. VulchR, Aug 13, 2019 at 12:08 PM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 12:16 PM

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

No doubt it depends on the scientist but nearly recognise that binary gender does not capture all of the variation in self-reported human gender identity. Most traits vary continuously anyway because the are multiple sources of variation (multiple genes, multiple cultural/environmental influences) that contribute. Nothing in human behaviour, cognition or emotion is simple enough to be truly binary.

Waiting now for some to argue there are only two political parties in the US, only left- versus right-wing political views, hawks versus doves, etc.... :rolleyes:

20. yaxomoxay, Aug 13, 2019 at 12:14 PM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 12:23 PM

yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I just know that when we have an argument and she holds scissors or a knife and looks at me with Lorena Bobbit-like eyes, I just concede defeat...…..

You see, I can't really "buy" the argument that the Toronto Sun is making. Two important elements of transgenderism are that 1) most attitudes are social constructs (i.e. wearing a skirt for women etc.) and 2) that no body modification is necessary. In other words, I can be a transgender woman, that is a woman, even if I wear pants, I have a long beard, and keep my body parts all the same. I can look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime (I wish...) and be a transgender woman. The moment the shop refuses to shave trans Arnold's balls (yuck!) is refusing service to … a woman (if we go by transgenderism ideals). The body part does not matter. If it does matter, you (not you personally) just created a second rate woman that for all intent and purposes is not treated as a woman. This is to show that once more, changing the form (woman with balls) is actually changing the substance (what a woman is), therefore it's up to the women's salon to learn how to shave balls.
    The same applies to sports; I expect within ten/fifteen years a huge wave of anti-trans feminism (one those women affected by it will grow up).

21. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

teacher in question is a scientist so I wonder why he started distributing these.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Oh come on, give your wife the gift of smooth balls.

23. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Wise move. ;)

I think in this context it does; if they refuse to offer a waxing service for testicles, they are not discriminating against gender identity or expression. The author of the Sun article puts it this way:
    But I don't want to deal with the great balls of fire! :eek: