Teacher states religious reasons for refusing to wear FM transmittor

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cfedu, Sep 18, 2015.

1. cfedu, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015

cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/1...her-wont-use-device-to-help-him-hear-in-class

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...nt-outraged-at-mun-s-lack-of-action-1.3233886

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

wait, is the student trying to force a teacher to wear a device?

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

IMO, this is the most important part of the article ...

If there's an agreement between the university and faculty about what devices they can opt out of, then the student's beef is against the school more than the instructor. I don't know what kind of authority the Human Rights Commission wields, but I have no problem with the student seeking redress over the issue.

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

The first mistake was the teacher explaining why they would not wear the device. It is none of the student's business and the student should have just been transferred to another class. While I think it is ridiculous for someone to claim that wearing such a device is against their religious belief, the student is only making a stink out of this because they don't agree with the teacher's beliefs. If the teacher had a pacemaker and was concerned that the electronic device could potentially interfere with it, would the student still be claiming discrimination? For some people, anytime they don't get their way it is automatically discrimination.

5. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

Looking deeper into this, it looks like the agreement who for this professor only, this is the second time this has happened.

https://admin.unis.transcontinentalmedia.com/media/issues/pdf/15922.pdf
    http://www.gfwadvertiser.ca/News/Lo...sided-with-hearing-impaired-student-in-1996/1

6. cfedu, Sep 18, 2015

cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

Nope, if the teacher had a pace maker, that would be a different issue.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'm an Audiologist, W

FM systems don't interfere with pacemakers. They also don't work unless the mic is near the speakers mouth.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It is a lapel mic or neck loop. Hearing impaired students use them so the teachers voice goes directly though to kids/persons hearing aids. This way the kid/person can sit anywhere in the classroom (a big lecture hall would be tough for someone with a hearing loss even with hearing aids). Any noise in the room makes it worse.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If the teacher had an agreement with the school then I think it is appropriate to look into that agreement and see if it is legal, but I wouldn't get upset with the teacher for doing what he and the university agreed to.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What kind of callous ass hole won't wear a microphone to aide a hearing impaired student?

11. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

The mark of the beast is usually what they say. I ha e seen that when people were required to wear a badge that keeps track of them.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

one that might you know , "murmur/talk" to himself & might be embarrassed by what he/she said while muttering *****what a bunch of freaking morons I have in class this year, can't wait to meat the vice principal behind the cafeteria tomorrow, wonder if any of these morons will offer me fries with my meal when they fail out of here, Betty looks like she can earn herself and A by sucking on my D, is it Friday yet? *****

did any of you ever caught your teachers muttering? I did.
    if there are other teachers that are willing to accommodate him then I see no problem.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]

Whisky Tango Foxtrot.............................

14. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

Next time I'm flying I will pull the circuit breaker for the Cockpit voice recorder, if they fire me I will make up an excuse that it's against my religion to be recorded or some other BS excuse. I guess cops could also turn off dash cams and body cams if they want an face no repercussions.

If a teacher is unwilling to accommodate a student with a disability, they they should be fired IMO. The reason for schools is for the students and not the teachers.

15. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I got through classes in the 90s with my PowerBook. Typing every word in real time + directional mic plugged into the side, recording every sound to HD. Worked a treat and only two accommodations required: 1) will you allow me to record you and 2) can I sit in the first 15 rows. No transmitter, no fuss.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Kid is in for a rude awaking once he hits the real world. You can't expect everyone you meet to accommodate your needs just because you have a disability.

Hail, I grew up poor and nearsighted. Couldn't afford glasses:(, so I had to sit in the front row and squint. After class, I had a few minutes to stand close to the chalkboard to see clearly what was written and make it to my next class. Be a man and suck it up. Sit in the front row or carry around one of those parabolic dish microphone.:p

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

this teacher had an agreement with the principal, do you have an agreement with your airline? we are putting cameras on cops. by all means do what you think is right.

teacher is using religion as his excuse, perhaps there is another reason for it, he might feel claustrophobic , he might be allergic to wifi or he might fear cooties, who knows. are there no other teachers that can help the kid?

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Based on the name I'd guess the professor is either Hindu or Jain, or possibly a Sikh. None of which would use that excuse.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

how DARE you find a way that did make others uncomfortable? ............

/s

20. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

If only most of the worlds problems could be solved with easy tech!

21. cfedu, Sep 18, 2015

cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

Do I need one if it violates my religion or some other privacy concern? The first time this happened the teacher had no agreement and from the letter from 1996, there really was never an agreement, the issue just died when the student dropped the class. If there is another reason besides the religious one, I would think the teacher should make her REAL concerns known.

We can accommodate police and let them turn off dash and body cams, but if a complaint comes and the camera was off, the police should have have the reverse burden of proof. I guess I would be able to accommodate certain things.

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

.. take the professor in the back and plug em into the hyper drive.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

religion is the easy one that people can use w/o elaborating much, do you really think those who deny vaccines to their kids are really "religious"?

make arrangements with your work, if all else fails then sue, our society LOVES lawsuits. we seem unable to settle things any other way.

24. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

I would not sue them as I don't think it's a reasonable accommodation and don't think any court would see it as reasonable.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

forcing a teacher to hook himself up to a device is reasonable to whom? other students seem to have found ways to deal with their issues.

would this at all fall under ADA guidelines?