Teacher terrified by surprise 'active shooter'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 23, 2015.

1. jkcerda, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the level of stupidity displayed here is amazing, the idiots involved should be fired.

EDIT.. adding link

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...sf/2015/04/teacher_terrified_by_surprise.html

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Fired or fired on?

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I see what you did there :p

unemployed works for me.

4. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

LOL this is awful. Prank of the century though.

5. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

How is this remotely funny?

6. jkcerda, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015

jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I would have loved to have been at the meeting where these people thought that this was a "great idea".:p

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I just posted the link as it was missing, but from there .
    perhaps his stupid/misguided way of trying to sell a better alarm to the district?

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Terror for profit?

11. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Maybe your students and teachers having PTSD will sway your mind...

:confused::confused::confused:

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Is, not was.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, we've gone from duck-and-cover to terrorist shooting drills. Progress indeed.

I used to be the Fire Safety Officer at my workplace. Part of my job was conducting fire drills. We'd set off the alarm and only half of the staff would be bothered to take their sweet time to mosey out of the building, usually by the main lobby door instead of the nearest fire exit. Then one drill we put a fog machine in the lobby and told the staff that that exit was blocked and they had a minute to get out of the building. So, they went to the nearest fire exit, and found they could not open the door because the locking mechanism was rusted shut. For this reason I'm all for realistic drills, but running around firing blanks toward unsuspecting staff opens up new vistas in being stupid.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The problem is how to do train for active an active shooter without people running around with guns making noise? If you tell people it’s going to happen then it’s not a surprise and not training. I don’t think they needed to use blanks and real weapons there are alternatives. I do wonder though if teachers actually need training on active shooters though, unless you train enough that every action becomes muscle memory that training will go out the window if the situation actually happens.

15. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Gross violation of elementary firearm safety too. It is NOT safe to fire a blank at someone - shrapnel, powder, and other materials can be ejected by a "blank" and cause serious injury or death. (Brandon Lee was killed on the set of The Crow by a "blank.") This dude pointed a weapon and pulled the trigger in someone's face. Unbelievable. Idiot needs to be cracking rocks for a few months in prison.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

They want teachers to pull double duty as security as well? Ridiculous. They should have a full time security staff, if they're that paranoid about security; or arm the hall monitors with P90's.:rolleyes:

Most schools have entry doors that lock automatically and require a keycard (carried by school staff and teachers) to unlock. And CCTV system with someone sleeping at the monitoring station.:D That's reasonable enough security for me, IMO. Well, I'd rather the guy at the monitoring station be awake, but it's all good.;)

17. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I didn't read the story b/c there wasn't a link. But I saw it now. I thought it was a prank.

Yeah it's pretty bad. You can't point a weapon then shoot blanks at someone. Messed up.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I hope she sues and takes them for everything she can.

That drill was beyond idiotic.

It was sadistic, cruel and reckless.

19. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

If only they'd barged into a classroom where the teacher was busily opening a big cardboard box with a box cutter, or cutting something up with a large pair of scissors :D

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

They said "blank" in the story, but they could be referring to 'Securiblank' cartridges, which cycle the weapon and make a little bang, but don't send anything out of the barrel.

21. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Still completely improper. I strongly disagree with people who "train" with faux-live ammunition like that loaded into real guns. You do not aim at people and pull the trigger on real weapons unless you are intending to stop or kill them. I don't care what geegaw you have loaded. To pull unwitting/involuntary participants into a "simulation" shifts it from being unsafe to being totally sick and wrong.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Fair enough.

I totally agree. This is a huge mistake with serious consequences, however, I just wanted to point out that there are other kinds of training rounds that are far more safe (relatively) than blanks.

23. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm not doubting that the product is actually itself safer than old school blanks, but I think it's really bad to start a habit of pointing a gun at people, pulling the trigger, and not expecting bad things to happen. Too likely that you will eventually screw up and lose track of what's actually loaded.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And what skills is that training supposed to instill in the teacher?

The ability to face one's death with peace and equanimity?

(which, while it's a great skill, doesn't seem appropriate for the workplace)