Teachers and their Degrees

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hankcah, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Hankcah macrumors regular

IMO, teachers are overqualified for their job. Im not mentioning professors, TEACHERS.
    gradeschool - some have master's degrees. DO they really need all of that? Yes i'm sure their goal is to become an admin of a school, but really?

Why can't they invent the future or create something, rather than put all of their "hardwork" in the 7-15 year old's hands. "kids are the future" - I feel is BS.

I have respect for teachers, disciplining the children, but i feel any supernice lady can do the job who has half a brain. I know a family member who is 45 ish teaching Calculus and has perfect SAT scores and ACT, and is pretty normal, BUT he teaches highschool. Who cares if you have perfect ACT, you threw away your degree IMO.

I understand why people like learning and want to teach kids, but why not just have kids. Why do schools require masters or even a bach to teach young kids. Afterall, highschool is 80% babysitting.

Does anyone else agree to some extent, or am I out of line.

I graduate from private schools up to my bachelors, and I've never said "oh thats a great answer/advice/study habit,.......he has his masters." I only rememeber a few teachers or professors whom I remember rambling about math or some theory.

Thoughts or opinions? Im curious how others feel about this, when they hear about someone "training for the olympics, just to teach gradeschool"

2. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Sounds like you just don't want to go through the masters program. Can't say I blame you. :)

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

In Oregon we have some of the lowest paid teachers and it's required that they have a masters.

Obviously you don't know many teachers.

Your post was quite infuriating actually. My mother is a first grade teacher. Not because she threw away her opportunities, but because she loves children and loves teaching. BTW, she has her masters in teaching, and a slew of other degrees in communications and computer science.

4. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I actually agree that teachers don't really need a masters to teach, but I think you come off a little strong. I would actually like to teach at a high level, but maybe some teachers tried it, didn't like, and preferred to teach a lower level. Everyone's different and I really appreciate those teachers who do it at a lower level, because I wouldn't want to do it.

5. Hankcah thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response, you seem like you are educated and took the time to read the post. I think my point was about the masters to teach. Was just trying to give more examples.

See my perspective? I knew I would get flamed for sure, but I can't be the only one out there seeing it this way. Do you sit in your corner office with a photo of your teacher from highschool? hm

Afterall, most nightly news is of highschools and gradeschools. ... I know "1% ruins it for all" -blah

6. JackHobbs macrumors regular

JackHobbs

As a teacher of 11 to 18 year olds in the U.K. I certainly don't think that I am wasting my time or my degree. I have absolute admiration for teachers of younger students. They're job is even more important than mine and probably more difficult. Try teaching the basics and see how hard it is. Why is 1 + 7 = 8? How do you explain that in a different way if they do not get it with sticks, counters etc? How do you explain long multiplication, long division etc.

Why did the Victorians introduce compulsory schooling for children in the U.K.? In part to reduce street crime but also to have a better educated workforce so that we could compete better in world markets.

So Mr Troll, if you do not invest time and expertise in the children of today, you may not have as great a future tomorrow. Hawking, Newton, Gallileo were all educated in the basics before they went on to be brilliant.

7. Hankcah thread starter macrumors regular

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was siding with your prior statement, you seemed to have seen my point. No they aren't throwing it away persay, but seems like they should be curing cancer instead.

Or even better, developing smarter highways. Who cares if your car has GPS when you can't move on the highway after work.

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

We have a similar stupid law. They don't have to have a masters, but they do have an education degree. I had a friend with a master's in history who wanted to teach high school. They did to a temporary certification called alternate route certification, but he had to get a degree in education within a certain time period. His wife did have an undergrad degree in education, but she was "highly encouraged" to get a master's.

I agree with you on motivation. Most teachers I have met do it because they love it. They certainly aren't doing it to get rich.

9. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

A lot of bachelor graduates think they are smarter then they are. Looking back, I was *quite* green after my BS/BA. Graduate school was a precision exercise compared to all the fluff your learn as an undergraduate.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, weak sauce is wanting to be a teacher but failing to actually comprehend the education requirements. If you cannot meet the education requirements to be a teacher what business do you have teaching?

Why a master's to teach high school? Because in some cases I firmly believe a bachelor's degree doesn't provide enough to teach high school in some settings. Some high schools are more advanced, think AP classes. I would want all high school teachers to have at least a master's degree.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

LOL something thinks AP classes means something....Sorry but AP classes are MASSIVELY over rated and if anything need to be complete removed.
    And over rating how good a Master degree really is.

You just want someone with a Masters. Fine I would have someone with a masters in Math teach your English class while I have someone with a bachelor's in English teach mine. Guess who is going to come out with a better education in English. Safe to say it is me.

HS really only need a bachelors degree in their respective area. My brother is going to be an English teacher. His bachelors is in English and will have his full certification by the end of the year.

Oh and I might like to point out that their is a massive shortage of teachers for the HS level. Big time in subjects like math and science. Requiring a masters for those areas would make it even worse. Math and Science teacher get paid a little more than others subjects but still WAY below what they would make in industry and that is just requiring a bachelors with enough hours in the respective subject. Hell I believe I could become a math teacher if I wanted to threw alternative certification because my bachelors is so heavily math based. But at the same time like hell am I going to because 1 the pay is not as good and 2 more importantly I really do not want to teach. I have no passion or even desire to teach.

Oh and do not say I do not know math with my bachelors degree. I have gone well beyond ANYTHING any high school will teach in math. I do not know of any HS that teaches anything beyond Cal II or Cal III and no high school will make it to 3000 level math classes which I have 6 hours of. I currently have 18 hours of Math and getting another 3 right now. Of those 21 hours 12 of them are well beyond anything HS would teach. The missing 9 are Cal 1-3

Also going for a masters because it is a masters to me is rather stupid and pointless. Do not go for a masters unless you are truly interested in the subject matter. I plan on getting a Masters in either CS or CompE. But then again I am interested in those subjects.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Hey guys I see a pattern here so I'm moving this to the PRSI forum.

Thanks and play nice!!

And puhleeze. Don't go going off topic by telling me how to do my job ok ? That's a no no.:p

13. Queso macrumors G4

A lot of people of all sorts think they are smarter than they are. It's probably a shared genetic defect. We should have stayed up in the trees eating bananas :)

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

My state has mandated that all teachers achieve a certain title, I'm pretty sure Masters, in order to qualify as a teacher. Those who currently don't have it are required to do so within a certain time period.

I want the best and brightest teaching the next generation, that means education.

That said, it's a complete logical fallacy to think that a degree means that you are somehow better at helping students "get it". Our entire educational system needs a drastic overhaul for this country to progress in the future. We're only hurting ourselves and future generations by staying on the course we have now.

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I think this calls for one of my favorite graphs.

[​IMG]

16. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I agree with this and feel the same way. There's also the fact that even if a teach knows a lot about a certain subject matter due to his/her masters - say about science - most of the time, this knowledge won't be apparent to the students being taught because there is the bottleneck of those students that don't try or pick up the subject material slower than others. The most important quality of a teacher, I believe, is not in his/her knowledge of the subject matter, but in how he/she teaches. I've had plenty of professors that were terrible and are well respected in their fields, but one of my best professors hadn't even completed his Ph.D yet. He was just so highly rated as a TA and everything, they gave him a promotion.

17. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

o_O. lol where is this from?

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Was this statement warranted? :confused:

(FTR - that's asking, not telling.)

19. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Illusory superiority.

Jeez. Problem with authority? (I'm asking, not telling.)

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Requiring a teaching course and a degree for teaching seems reasonable.

A degree for nursing seems less sensible.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That would depend on your definition of "nursing"??

Being able to perform RN support to a patient should require a degree.

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I have idea to be honest. I picked it up somewhere without reference. Love it though :).

23. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I think it's fair to require teachers to have a relevant degree (even to Master's level). Teachers are there not only to teach, but hopefully because they enjoy their subject enough to want to inspire their students to continue their studies. How could a non-academic inspire students to become academic?

However, I think it's unfair to discriminate against those who have a large amount of experience in a field but have no degree. My father has worked for a long time instructing adults on behalf of various electronics/engineering companies after working in the Navy as an avionics tech. He has always wanted to teach in school/college, but is unable to do so because he never went to university.

I think experience should count for something.

24. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Pretty sure it's from Kruger and Dunning of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Thanks Rt&zine. That looks to be it. They even won an Ig Nobel. Will have to read some of their papers.